Going to cook up some filet mignon on a pan on stove. Want to know how long I should cook for rare...

Going to cook up some filet mignon on a pan on stove. Want to know how long I should cook for rare, I'm guessing somewhere around 4-5 min for each side with olive oil/butter on med/high?

4 min

let the meat come to room temp first.

I figured, my whole family likes their steak cooked well done+ so my experience is null

It all depends on how think the steak is and how hot the heat is. Do you not understand this simple concept of physics?

Get a fucking meat thermometer your moron.

This post says more about you than it does about OP

I think he's "not as think as you drunk he is"

hi quality meat, hi heat for 5 minutes each side.
also, dont use oil, part of the point of the bacon is to provide the cooking fat.
I like to top mine with a fried egg

bacon?

why would you put a fried egg on a good piece of steak?

>5 minutes each side.

thats going to be going well into medium territory senpai

filet mignon is a tenderloin medallion wrapped in bacon. This is the most tender cut of the cow, but has no fat so it is wrapped in bacon to provide cooking grease.
I add fried egg because I like it

Meat Therm is important.

That's it all.

>filet mignon is a tenderloin medallion wrapped in bacon.
Nope.

I love fried egg on my steak. For breakfast.

no, filet mignon is not always wrapped in bacon. At least not here in america, the land of bacon.

filet mignon is a specific cut of steak from the smaller end of the tenderloin.

In Canada, it is.

a simple google search proves that wrong. filet mignon is the same in canada as it is in the rest of the world.

Enjoy your myth cooking methods

people always seem to specify insanely long cook times on here. 4-5 mins each side is cremation territory in my experience. 2 mins each side is pushing it

I think it depends how hot the pan is and how warm the meat is before being cooked.

plus, a filet is probably the most eatable steak when overcooked/well done, simply because it doesn't get chewy.

>filet mignon is a tenderloin medallion wrapped in bacon.
>bacon

god, make this fucking autism stop.

No steak should be considered edible at well done. The tastiest way to eat red meat well done is to braise it and make it in to something that isn't a solid overcooked mass.

How thick is your steak? How hot is your pan?

I pretty much agree, but if I fuck up a steak and it's brown the whole way through I'm going to eat it anyways. filet is the most forgiving in that respect.

Vons, and other shitty grocery stores like Grocery Outlet sell prepackaged filet mignon cuts with bacon wrapped around them. They're usually always on sale, and they're shitty quality. I'm assuming this is what they're talking about.

Could be so, but why try cooking the most expensive cut without experience? If you like throwing money away, I don't mind taking it and cooking a proper steak.

There's nothing wrong with a proper well done steak.

Yeah, dollar general and kroeger sell them for literall 4 dollar normal price and sometimes 2.50 on sale......4oz cuts

The bacons fucking gross, but to be honest, the tiny filet actually isn't really as bad as you'd expect and is definitely in the "meh, it's ok" territory

I know, I've bought and eaten them, and they're not the worse. But I couldn't for the life of me cook them in a way that made them taste like a steak should.

The worse steak I ever had was a rib eye that was part of a frozen six pack for 10 dollars at Wal-Mart.

There's nothing wrong with eating good food, so why overcook something? Do you turn your toast to charcoal before consuming it?

filet isn't the most expensive cut at my butcher. I was there today, the ribeye and porterhouse (if you want to count that) were a few dollars per pound more expensive than the filet and strip, which were the same price. the spinalis dorsi is the most expensive beef cut there, if you want to call that a steak.

plus, many people learn from their mistakes. you generally have to fuck up a few times before you start getting things right.

I like my toast fucking rare. Just slice the crust off and stick it under your armpits for 30 seconds and put it on my plate. I don't give a fuck.

Why was he selling ribeye and ribeye cap separately? Typically it comes together since the ribeye is just prime rib cut in to steaks. Maybe he separated the chain from the other part? It is a good marbled piece of meat though, slow cook it for maximum success.

I'd rather fuck up on a lesser cut than a filet, plus thick filets aren't hard to not fuck up, especially with a thermometer.

XT SALTY, my fave senpai

he sells ribeyes, capless ribeyes and the cap. I assume since the ribeye is the most expensive of the main four classic steaks at that shop he probably sells a lot of them. he likely wouldn't have it in the case if people dont want it.

I would rather accidentally overcook a filet than a ribeye since the filet doesn't lose as much of it's essense compared to the ribeye in my view.

F L Y O V E R

Personally I would rather just buy a thermometer.

ok.

Or, just try not to overcook your meat. Theres no reason to settle, or prepare yourself for failure.

Just dedicate 6-8 minutes of your time to stand in front of your stove/ grill and pay close attention.

completely depends on the size.

>accidentally
that would imply an effort to not overcook it. If I end up overcooking it I'm probably going to eat it anyways. In my view, an overcooked ribeye or strip is a lot worse than an overcooked filet, both in flavor and texture.

I don't really overcook my steaks anymore anyways, unless theyre too thin. I have that shit pretty much down by now.