Fuck. I made lasagna but forgot it on the table for 4 hours, so I had to throw it away...

Fuck. I made lasagna but forgot it on the table for 4 hours, so I had to throw it away. I hate wasting food I'm so mad right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/FoodSafety/Myths
foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/mistakes/
fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm253954.htm
huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12/21/hot-food-fridge_n_8854680.html
aarp.org/home-garden/housing/info-02-2010/myth_buster_should_you_let_hot_food_cool_before_refrigerating_.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it was probably fine to eat
your loss

>tfw made huge pot of soup and had to leave it on the stove all night to cool off before putting it in the fridge
>tfw walking the line between life and death every time I eat a bowl but at least I'm not wasting food

The bacteria growth is insane in 4 hours and you get food poisoning

You've been reading too much legal regulation bullshit on the internet. Professionals are FORCED to throw away perfectly good edible non-poisonous food after 2 hours because of regulations. They have NO CHOICE. It's the same reason you're allowed to keep butter on the kitchen counter for a week but they're forced to serve it frozen.

Your lasagna was perfectly fine to eat.

maybe for pussified weak faggots like you

This is one of those "bait threads" I keep hearing about, yes?

That's retarded. Borderline is 12 hours for cooked food. This is bait?

Oh yeah? You ever gotten sick from cooked food left unrefrigerated at room temperature for 4 hours? Bacteria is everywhere.

I think people have moved on from the goza meme and are now trying to force expiry bait threads

I just ate a pulled pork sandwhich I made on Saturday and it was fine.
Didn't even put it in the fridge.

When lasagna comes out of the oven it's sterile. In 4 hours bacteria can't penetrate deeper than the surface of an intact lasagna. You dun goofed.

do you have AIDS?
are you currently undergoing chemotherapy?
are you pregnant, nursing, or a newborn baby?

you could easily pour it off into a shallow pan or several smaller ones so it cools off faster.

dude....

YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING MADMAN

I'm on a very strong dose of immunosuppressive drugs (3150mg daily) and I still woulda eaten the lasagne.

>fill sink with cold water
>submerge most of the pot in water
>stir the soup a min
>repeat until cool enough to refrigerate

I think some madmen leave pots out all week, they just reboil to hell each time they use it.

I leave the same pot of food out for several days all the time.
Hell, some foods need it. A chilli or stew that is merely four hours old is sad indeed.

>re-boiling the entire pot

Pfft, no.
You portion out a bowl and nuke it to the desired warmth.

Same, I've eaten at least 3-4 day old chili that has been sitting on top of the stove and let me tell you it gets better over time.

user, he means reboiling it to kill the germs.
Obviously if you keep your soup in the fridge there's no need to heat the entire pot up for one portion.

Why not? It would make it stay good longer.

Yeah, I was quite clear. The sink method is better if you have the fridge space. An even better way is to add ice to the sink before dunking the pot.

Is it a meme?
I leave food on the table/stove since I remember and haven't had any food poisoning in a whole decade (except once, after two week old bigos who was good until the last day; and that shit is literally boiled sauerkraut).

Can't tell if it's because I eat only vegetarian (80% times vegan) and don't keep diary dishes longer than 48hrs and this shit never spoils or i just have a solid slavic gut.

Depends on a lot of factors. Time, room temp. I think either way it doesn't matter since the taste has probably suffered by the time there's a chance of sickness, no?

Yup. Unless it's doesn't taste obviously bad then it's safe to eat.
Honestly, amerifats need to learn not to dump a bottle of sauce to cover the whole flavour cause there almost can't be the other way that one would get sick of eating fresh food (~12 hours outside the fridge) that wasn't immediately refigrated.

It's far, far better to just put something in the fridge while it's still hot. It has next to no impact on the temperature of other stuff in there (unless your fridge is so full that it's pressed up against it, or what you're putting in there is enormous), and it'll cool down faster and spend less time in the danger zone between 5 and 50 degrees C. Leaving it out until it cools is an old wives tale.

I honestly dont understand how you think it would cool down faster being immediately placed in the fridge, than it would be to submerge it in ice water, stir, and maybe repeat once or twice, which takes all of 5 mins, max.

>or what you're putting in there is enormous
Some soup pots are big. Would make sense on why it needs to be refrigerated anyway.

So you just reheat it multiple times?

Seems riskier than leaving it out

This has to be a bait thread. The only thing better than hot lasagna is cold lasagna.

>the only thing better than botulism is salmonella!

every time you go out to eat you are eating some ingredients that have sat out in the open for at least two or three days

>i don't know shit about professional restaurants

A couple of gallons of soup might make your fridge heat up excessively and take ages to cool, a few servings really won't. Besides, you can spend time and use a load of ice to cool it down a little faster, but that only works for something like a soup, and is a little trickier for something like a lasagna, or a roast chicken. Point is, a lot of people follow this approach that something has to be approaching room temperature before you stick it in the fridge, which is a myth. The sooner it's in a nice cool environment, the better.

lmao I still eat left over food after two days when it hasnt even been in the fridge

>cool it down a little faster
A lot faster, actually.

>> has to be approaching room temperature before you stick it in the fridge
But that makes perfect sense, as has been proven many times over. Pic related.

>>The sooner it's in a nice cool environment, the better.

Yep. And an ice-cold water bath (or even just tap-cold water in the sink) is a FAR more effective cooling medium than your fridge is. that's due to the fact that water has a much higher specific heat than air does. You did take some kind of chemistry class before being old enough to post here, right? I mean, I'm a product of the horrible american education system and even I understand this.

Holy shit, learn to read. Yes, if you've cooked a big container of soup then cool it off first, but if it's just a few portions, or something that you can't stick under cold water, then just put it in the fridge. Something small and without a lot of heat capacity won't raise the temperature of the fridge enough to affect other food, mucking about with ice baths is unnecessary most of the time, and you can divide something into smaller portions to help it cool faster in there if needed. The simple point I was making was that a lot of people, including several in this thread, are under the misconception that you need to leave something out on the counter until it's room temperature before putting it in the fridge. That's wrong.

Also, holy shit, who would have thought that something that's already cold will reach a lower temperature in the fridge faster than something hot? If you told me that leaving something out for half an hour, and then sticking it in the fridge, would cool it more effectively than just putting it in the fridge in the first place, then I might be surprised.

Finally, it's physics, you moron. Product of the American education system indeed.

>would cool it more effectively than just putting it in the fridge in the first place, then I might be surprised.

What you're describing would indeed cool the food in question faster than leaving it out on the counter.

But it will also warm up the other foods in the fridge

>> just a few portions
like pic related, right?

Best thing to do is to cool the food down using cold water (or ideally an ice bath), THEN put it in the fridge. Even cold water from the tap will cool food much more effectively than leaving it out on the counter because water has a much higher specific heat than air does.

>>Finally, it's physics
I'm glad we agree.

>made spinach artichoke pasta
>forgot to put it away before I crashed
>woke up to a pot full of good pasta I had to throw away
Teared up a little

>made carottes râpées
>fell asleep before eating it
>woke up
>shit it wasnt in the fridge
>have to throw it out and cook a blander breakfast

what bacteria do you think are going to poison the food?

that's because you're a degenerate who hasn't had the ass explosion that is food poisoning yet, probably because most of your food is so processed that you could leave it out for months and it'd still be squeaky clean

>made some dank lump potatoes
>drank too much vodka and fell asleep before putting in fridge
>potatoes stayed out all night
>ate anyways for breakfast
>i was fine.

yea because it's the first world and we have prime food technology.

enjoy your shitty "organic" and "all natural" meme food that goes bad, faggot.

>like pic related, right?

That unlabelled pic with no units, and what appear to be two different meals in the same fridge? Very instructive. How about some links to a whole range of sources saying that you don't need to piss about cooling every single leftover in an ice bath before you put it in the fridge:

>doh.wa.gov/YouandYourFamily/FoodSafety/Myths

>foodsafety.gov/keep/basics/mistakes/

>fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm253954.htm

>huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12/21/hot-food-fridge_n_8854680.html

>aarp.org/home-garden/housing/info-02-2010/myth_buster_should_you_let_hot_food_cool_before_refrigerating_.html

>ood that goes bad, faggot.

I will. It's simply a matter of eating it before it goes bad. Simple. Easy. Cheap.

and overpriced just to pay for the "organic" label to make you feel better.

>That unlabelled pic with no units

Surely even your lentil-size brain can see that the portion is relatively small, e.g. "just a small portion".

haha most people don;t pay $50 a plate for pro food. they pay $10 for whatever I just dropped on the floor.

I'm pretty sure this is a bait thread, and I used to think the same way you did. I recently left a bowl of cut onions out overnight however, and in the morning they smelled rancid. I know a cut vegetable will spoil faster since more of it is exposed to air and it has more water than some other foods, but it's something to think about.

>we have prime food technology
unfortunately this technological know-how is used to created unhealthy shit craved by our bodies in order to boost profits. We could be living in an age of unparalleled healthy food but that simply doesn't sell as well.

ok.

>How about some links to a whole range of sources
>FDA
>huffpost
lmao

no.

>implying increased shelf life is bad.

we're good now.

Jesus I can't fucking stand you hygiene freaks. My mother is the same way. Pic related is a note in the kitchen regarding food safety and when we have to throw things away. It drives me insane to have my food thrown away because of her idiocy.

This cant be real. You must have just written this as a joke. In the event that it is not you need to move out now or stop visiting because she is insane.

>shitty man cursive
I don't believe you

>pretending to have a mom
>pretending to live at home
It's sad you try to make Veeky Forums feel miserable.

But senpai.

Isnt cold pizza put in the fridge tast even better the next day?

>>shitty man cursive

called it.

fucking americans

This is most definitely an American meme.

But, what do i know. Maybe you live in a hot state and have no aircon or something... and your food is made with low health and safety standards...

Do you eat things like pancetta? Like, on pizzas? (No meme). Because heating up pancetta causes allot of bacterial growth... but thats still safe to eat...

and yogurt is basically bacteria. But thats safe too.

Ever tried blue cheese? Yup. Mold makes it blue.

>fish food - 1 day unrefrigerated
Surely this refers to the dry flakes fed to aquarium fish.
If referring to actual fish, it's equally insane as discarding unrefrigerated fruit - but for other reasons.

is this a new meme?

what was it

>deleting a non-Veeky Forums related reaction image

lmao how fucking autistic is the mod?

reminds me of the /int/ mod from a couple of years back... could it be?

The mod on this board is such a big baby.

Sadly there's literally nothing you can do to stop an abusive mod.

it's true

someone probably insulted his favorite brand of hot pocket and he never recovered

I just can't understand how someone is this autistic.

>non food related reaction image? Nope, not on my board.
>a JACK thread? This has got to go. I mean, I know it's food related but I just don't like it
>whoa whoa, there's two guys arguing in this thread? Better delete all this.
>NO NO NO THIS IS A BAD THREAD, it's bad because I think it's bad!

I can't wait until he is stripped of his mod powers. I'll make a thread on Veeky Forums every day laughing at him. We will all get together and laugh at him whilst posting off topic reaction images and jack webms.

Jack doesn't belong on Veeky Forums though.

He is cooking related.

If you don't like him add him to your personal filters.

wow you prick . you should have ate it you wasteful little shit.

he's deleted food related stuff far tamer than jack-posting

I'm actually convinced he's the old /int/ mod. He would do all the things you just described, except it was Israel threads instead of Jack threads

>But it will also warm up the other foods in the fridge

THIS is the reason you don't put a big pot of hot fucking soup in the fridge. Now you've warmed up all the dairy and meat and vegetables in your fridge to potentially dangerous temperatures and let them sit there for hours until the whole box cools back down again.

You're accelerating the spoilage of EVERYTHING in the fridge by putting hot soup in there, completely defeating the purpose of a fridge in the first place.