Physical symptoms caused by stress of being a vegan activist

I'm writing this because people can't see my face when they're talking to me over the internet, and I feel like if they knew the effect they had they might change their behavior (or maybe this is the equivalent of hoping they'll go vegan after learning animals are being tortured for their habits). I was just on a video chat and the conversation was cordial at first, but as veganism was mentioned they said nonchalantly on cam that animals are raised for food like vegetables are raised for food. Most people can brush that comment off and maybe even laugh at the idiocy, naivety, and arrogance of it. And usually I can too if I tune it out. But as the conversation went on and each time they made an idiotic comment about veganism my thoughts were with the animals and remembering seeing those hundreds of undercover investigations of them being tortured for absolutely no reason - and then back to the conversation, where this smug asshole thinks he can brush all that off with "but they're raised for food". I'm crying, silently screaming, and I have severe chest pain as I have had for the past three nights after getting back into activism. I had taken a break for my health because the stress of being a vegan activist and hearing all those stupid and callous arguments and remembering the extreme suffering of the animals, was causing me physical symptoms. I went to the doctor expecting heart problems, maybe lung cancer, but after they found nothing wrong with me they concluded it was purely stress. Medications work at numbing me for the most part but I had to get off of them because of unwanted side effects. I decided to get back into activism and the chest pains and shortness of breath are back in full force. (cont'd in first comment)

Other urls found in this thread:

theradicalvegan.tumblr.com
youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8
youtube.com/watch?v=NWHqJpcgjk0
drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24361028
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Last night the pain lasted about 40 minutes and radiated all through the upper left side of my body. Tonight it's in the center of my chest and I can't get a deep breath. When I try, it's a sharp pain like someone's trying to stab me with a dull knife. This is because of one person's comments. Then a second person came in (who also claims to be the nicest person) and started gloating about eating meat and I immediately wanted to die. These comments physically hurt me, but they don't see that because I'm behind a computer screen.

So not only are they torturing animals, they're directly hurting people like me who try so hard to end it. Please think before you make comments that mock the abuse of animals. It doesn't only hurt the animals.

On a side note I also have PTSD which is part of why I have such a strong reaction to the animals being abused and people mocking it. But I'm sure PTSD isn't a requirement to having these strong reactions as animal rights activists. Anyone who has empathy and has seen the animals being tortured, then realizes that most people either don't care or shamelessly mock the abuse, would have a similar reaction.

People are so nonchalant with their callous comments about the animals as if they're not hurting anyone. But the stress would have killed me if I didn't have to stay alive to speak for the animals.

Please, educate yourselves, and go vegan, or at the absolute least, don't mock the animals' suffering. theradicalvegan.tumblr.com

Jokes on you, we all know that's a parody tumblr.

I wish this wasn't bait because it's something I'd actually like to discuss. Oh well that's Veeky Forums I guess

If this wasn't obvious bait, I'd probably be erect, and would revel in the opportunity to make fun of you.

It's scientific fact that animals don't feel pain. Their reactions are purely instinct.

Did you know that the smell of cut grass is a chemical reaction letting you know that the grass you cut is dying?
It's the same basic concept.

No.
No. And honestly I don't think I can physically tolerate discussing it tonight. I left that chat room immediately after the last person came in and started gloating about eating meat to hurt me. (They succeeded more than they'll ever know.) Maybe in the morning after my chest pains have gone away and I'm ready for more...

I just felt I had to get this out there because these people actually think they're nice people, but their comments hurt me almost as much as my 6 ft 4, 300 lb brother did when he abused me as a teen.

And they think I'm the one being an asshole even though all I did was say I can't tolerate people who eat meat knowing the suffering it causes, and then I asked them to please stop talking because it hurts. Either they thought I wasn't serious or they didn't care. It's embarrassing being honest about the effect their comments have on me and degrading that I feel like I have to say it. But I do. I guess it was just wishful thinking that anyone would give a shit.

Ha, you're good, I'll give you that. It's rare that a troll goes to such lengths and I genuinely dig what you're putting down. Keep spreading this type of good stuff around the internet. God bless you

McDonald's did nothing wrong.

>It's scientific fact that animals don't feel pain. Their reactions are purely instinct

This is bait

It's morning now, but I'm already crying to be honest thinking about the animals and how most people don't care or don't want to care and won't even watch the undercover investigations, and then the sociopaths who actually enjoy mocking the animals suffering as if they're mocking something as trivial as someone's fashion choices.

But I can deal with sociopaths a bit better today. What part of it would you like to discuss?

I went to Veeky Forums knowing I would get comments like this, so luckily that particular comment had little effect on me. Everyone with more than 2 brain cells know it's not true anyway so it's not even worth addressing. Although people definitely act like it's true...

Is this butter bell user?
He was the last poster of this amazing caliber , I miss him so much.

Why are you telling us? Veeky Forums is a place where people generally don't give a shit about others feelings and Veeky Forums is a place full of meat eaters. Do you expect anything other than being hazed for being both mentally weak and a vegan radical extremist?

The cause of your symptoms is obvious to you, but you still willingly choose to put yourself through it which few mentally healthy individuals would. I recommend that you get out of the activism scene and seek a good psychologist so you can sort out your feelings about animals being killed for food.

I hope you get better and learn to handle living today's society.

No, sorry.

Veeky Forums is filled with people who like to harass vegans. Again, wishful thinking that they have any bit of empathy on my part. I didn't expect anything though. And most people would have killed themselves many years ago if they had lived my life. The mentally weak are the ones who delude themselves with bullshit at expense of the animals.

I have to speak for the animals because there are so many who speak and act against them. If your daughter was being physically abused, would you ignore it just because it stressed you out to think about it? (Again, wishful thinking on my part that you wouldn't, right?) My mom ignored it for over ten years of my life for that reason. I'm not going to be like my mom. I'm not going to ignore the animals' torture. Any pain I go through is nothing compared to the torture billions of animals go through.

Your pain means much more to me because you are a human and they are animals. Is there no pain in nature? Is there no suffering when a pack of wolves eats the guts out of a living moose? When a snake swallows a faun and digests it slowly is that not torture? Yet it exists, for that is their nature; and it is our nature to seek to reduce suffering, so much that we would elevate all creatures to our human stature and give them all of the privilege we enjoy.

But they could not enjoy them. They could not do what we do, create what we create, and they would not seek to alleviate the suffering of other creatures. They are beasts, and live according to the laws of nature; we are men, and live according to a higher law. IT IS LAUDABLE that you seek to eliminate suffering, but not that you cause yourself to suffer; torture does not cease to be torture merely by reducing its scale. Remember that, though animals have capacity for suffering, there is not one that has as much as you do; and remember that they are able to bear the suffering they receive.

Lmao this is amazing. Stop blaming others for your own problems. You will never be able to influence how everyone eats so stop trying to achieve impossible things.

That's hilarious, saved for future banter

You're a cunt and you don't even realize it. I want to vomit in your face then slit your throat.

yeah you sure convinced me you don't need to see a shrink

saved

I want to see the blood pouring from your neck as I whisper in your ear: "morality is relative".

>and I feel like if they knew the effect they had they might change their behavior
nope, there was a study where it was proved that having an actual hearth to hearth with people and then dopping the vegan, choice, lgbt thing changed 15% of peoples minds.
Later on it was proved that the reasercher tampered with the results, he burned the data not to get caught and was klicked out of college and refused to speak about it

But it isn't. It's absolute, just a different absolute for humans and animals. Do you understand that concept? Or have you grown up sucking the tit of equalitarianism, not knowing that moral equivalence is not simply derived from being a discrete organism?

You should go through the torture of starving yourself then since the only way to preserve your life is to take life away from something that was trying its best just to live

all i see morality as is oppression, i can get behind dont steal, dont kill, dont hurt as i dont want any of those happening to me but anything beyond is just an attempt o
f brainwashing the masses. You will probably get away with it in 20 to 30 years with forced kindergarden but you will never get me or my generation to agree

6/10 bait, slightly overdone.

>My mom ignored it for over ten years of my life for that reason.
Are you saying that your mom ignored an animal being abused or that she ignored you being abused by your father? I'm sorry but your point is pretty unclear.

And you say that most people would kill themselves if they were in your shoes, but the fact is that most people just don't care enough about animals being raised for food that they would even consider killing themselves over it. The fact that you take it that far is an indication that you are unable to deal with the harsh reality of how society today works. And you should know that usually when people can't handle being in normal society we call it a disorder and find a suitable one to diagnose with.

That said, I don't endorse actually hurting animals unnecessarily, they should be raised reasonably and killed quick and painlessly.

Just going to leave this here. youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

go leave it in reddit next time

the guys from peep show did it better

My mom ignored my brother physically abusing me. Most people would kill themselves if they went through what I went through in life. I was physically abused pretty much daily for ten years of my life and off an on after that. None of you have any idea what mental strength it took to stay alive, and judging by how you dismiss the animals due to personal weaknesses, you all would have killed yourselves.

And even "Certified Humane" farms severely abuse the animals. You're living in a dream world, dickhead.

Maybe you should stop being such a vegan pussy and beat the shit out of your brother for revenge?

My brother is severely mentally ill likely due to cracking his skull as a young child and being molested. He's also morbidly obese and is suffering enough without any help from me. I've moved out and am more pissed at people who mock the suffering of animals than I am at him.

Also I'm female and 5 ft 3, 125 lbs. He's 6 ft 4, 300+ lbs. I would be dead if I ever so much as slapped him.

fuck off and continue this whinefest on facebook

But user, I am vegan

I'm not whining. I responded with a factual reason why I couldn't and wouldn't do that.

Kill yourself.

?

Happy for you.

Enjoy your iron and b12 supplements faggot.

Nobody is going to disagree that your diet should be plant based but muh animal feelings are nauseating. They're all going to die. You are too. Stop forcing it down everyone's throat.

No one cares.

Now I gotta go buy 10 lbs of veal bones.

It seems you feel an inner need to lash out and your brain has chosen to identify yourself with the animals you see and extrapolate your childhood and your feelings onto them. And you have chosen to identify the farm owners with your brother and all us ignorant meat eaters who simply close our eyes with your mother.

You feel angry at society for forcing you to have grown up under such circumstances, deep down you're angry at yourself and your family but since you can't handle that you've grown up under such unfair circumstances. I understand your pain and it's not unreasonable.

But the fact remains that you're currently severely misadapted to today's society and you are unable to handle live a normal life. What you need isn't to stop people from eating meat but to get some extensive psychiatric help to sort yourself out. It's extremely unhealthy and abnormal to go around and care so much about such a small issue that you're getting stress symptoms to the point of having chest pains.

Please, for your own sake, get out of the activism scene and seek professional help.

I was anemic as a meat eater and have more than enough hemoglobin in my blood and B12 as a vegan. I currently only take vitamin D supplements and I've always been low on that, even as a meat eater.

I'm ignoring the bottom portion of your comment for my health.

It's the most important issue in the world today. Fuck you.

Not even close to the most important issue currently.

>They're all going to die. You are too.
By this logic it's alright to kill people and eat them since they were already going to die anyways.

OP is straight tumblr trash but meat eating, when you're aware of animal suffering, is either horrible laziness or being rotten.

This whole piece of shit thread needs deletion, and OP needs to be banned for shit posting unrelated to cooking.

As a vegan I agree.

Without a fucking doubt it is. theradicalvegan.tumblr.com

Billions of animals being tortured their entire lives, the environment being destroyed for current and future generations, human rights violations, public health risks, etc.

The animal portion alone makes it the most important issue there is.

As a vegan I still want you to kill yourself.

>theradicalvegan.tumblr.com
>first image proudly states that it's gluten free
You're one of those palm oil vegans, aren't you?

What the fuck is a palm oil vegan?

And some people need to eat gluten free you dumbfuck. And the recipe looks delicious regardless.

I can be yuor angle... or ur devil

Radical activism only gets so far. If you want dairy, eggs and meat eating to stop, you have to get people to go vegan and vote with their wallet.

youtube.com/watch?v=NWHqJpcgjk0

>What the fuck is a palm oil vegan?

Well, palm oil was rarely used in the past but is a new and trendy thing thanks to advertising. Use your brain to sort the rest out.

>>And some people need to eat gluten free
Agreed. Though most people who eat "gluten free" do not fall into that category; instead they're sheeple who don't have celiac disease but instead thing gluten is evil for some silly reason.

No it's not that important really. And even if it was important you should sensibly be advocating lowering the meat average meat intake some, or moving more to pork or poultry since they have a far smaller environmental impact than beef. But being an actual vegan activist is just a dick move trying to tell people how to live their lives for your own self satisfaction and from the earlier discussion we've seen it really is all about how you were beaten as you grew up and your inability to adapt to society after that.

You're extremely vague and could mean multiple things you fucking idiot. It's up to you to clarify, not up to me to assume what you mean when you could mean many different things.

>Agreed. Though most people who eat "gluten free" do not fall into that category; instead they're sheeple who don't have celiac disease but instead thing gluten is evil for some silly reason.

Am I supposed to give a fuck? You're the cringiest epitome of a hipster.

People like you create mass murderers.

God I would love for there to be another holocaust, except instead of Jews and gays, killing meat eaters like you.

It's so easy to blame everyone else for your problems, isn't it? So much easier than dealing with your own mental illnesses, huh?

I create mass murderers? You're the one who is literally killing yourself over others eating meat. Something that has been born since our forefathers who weren't even the same species. And now you come here and say that we're the insane ones who deserve being killed?

I'm sorry but you really do have some mental problems that need to be sorted out and I really hope you can manage to do that somehow. I know life is a bit rough sometimes but you need to learn to accept that shit fucking sucks and go on with your life and try to be productive. Both for your own sake and for everyone else's sake. Right now you're just lashing out on normal healthy people because of your own mental problems.

Did you read the original post at all? I'm recovering from my PTSD and life would be way fucking easier if I could delude myself like you sad, sick fucks and ignore the animals being tortured for your disgusting snacks.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say I want you all slaughtered. Any animals life is worth more than all of yours combined. It's fucking irresponsible to allow you to continue existing.

I'm going with the latter. I hunt. I always make it a point to put the animal in question as fast as possible. I don't want them to suffer. But this is food on the table. Everyone having a full diet with plants exclusively obtaining all their nutrients is obviously not realistic. It seems like a privileged ideology where nobody hurts the animals anymore. I'm jaded as to whether the vegan diet is what is best anyway. I think it should be plant based with occasional animal protein: poultry, fish, whatever. That said OP is either an award winning troll or needs extra help from what it sounds like.

It would seriously do you well to get out of the activism scene and who knows what other unhealthy and abnormal environments you spend your time in and focus on getting better and hopefully maybe some day be able to live a somewhat normal life.

You're not recovering AT ALL. If anything, your multiple mental illnesses are getting worse. You need clinical treatment.
Also, this isn't the board for this horseshit, take it to /r9k/, and go check yourself into a clinic before it's done forcibly.

Nutrient Density of Animal and Plant Foods:
drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx
Nutritional Update for Physicians: Plant-Based Diets (a summary)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/
Plant-based diets are not nutritionally deficient: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24361028

I said a plant based diet is probably the best thing to do too. The thing is, it's not realistic for everyone due to financial hardships, countries without the infrastructure to make it happen etc. I was vegetarian for a year to try it out. I still ate eggs and cheese on occasion though. I do think that people with their best health in mind shouldn't eat meat everyday. I still think that eating fish is probably not a bad thing a couple times a week. But the thing is, I think you're too wrapped up in your ideology for you to hear other opinions on the matter. I think that your stance on this is more deep seeded than the issue at hand. I hope you feel better someday user. Seriously. You can't change the world by yourself. I love animals too but your stance on people vs animals isn't going to help.

>I love animals too
You have a lot of fucking nerve saying that.

And vegan whole foods are cheaper. Your drivel makes me want to kill myself.

The lord said I should eat tenderloin and your ass.
Praise be 4 Chan

I tried being nice.

Do it. You'll feel better. Promise. Nobody will miss you. Your animal friends won't care after somebody takes your place.