Been meaning to try scrapple. What can I expect?

Been meaning to try scrapple. What can I expect?

Didn't know Jones made scrapple.

They're a national brand and as far as I know scrapple is pretty much confined to a small corner of flyover land.

Jones is like the only brand of Scrapple I notice when grocery shopping.

Where do you live?

LA

WI

Of course, like 95% of my grocery shopping is done at Aldi or Woodmans.

What the fuck is that?

fry the outside crispy and inside still stoft

Serve with bread or rice and eat it with mustard

Damn. I was just up in Milwaukee over the weekend for a beer festival and stopped at Woodmans on the drive back. Bought a bunch of sausages and cheeses and cured meat type things. If I saw that they had scrapple I definitely would have tried it.

Basically pork and corn meal sausage.

>American """""food"""""

>Chinese cartoon poster

Philadelphian here. Tastes like bland sausage slush desu.

>Defending puke in a cube

Americans

It's like a less challenging haggis. Goetta is better.

FUCKING DISGUSTING

how can anyone outside the US mock scrapple when its essentially just uncured charcuterie.

>as a kid my parents said scrapple was their favorite food ever
>try it
>tastes like inedible slop

fucking philly fags

>as far as I know scrapple is pretty much confined to a small corner of flyover land.

scrapple is mainly in the mid-atlantic (pennsylvania, nj, delaware and maryland) aka the most densely populated states in the US...

You have to fuck your sister first

What is scrapple? Isn't it left over scraps from meat and such?

Literal white trash flyover food

basically, yea.
Its all the leftover meat from the process of breaking down the animal into different cuts that is then formed into the little loaf with cornmeal and spices.

you cut slices off and pan fry it. its kinda like sausage.

I've been aware of scrapple my whole life, in a historical southern, new england and mid-atlantic old timey breakfast sense, saw it in the cookbooks over the years, but never ordered it off a diner menu anywhere, due to the offal component and fear of connective-tissue/brains related CJD. *scared*

But, I did get served some scrapple as part of an all-encompassing giant charcuterie platter at a restaurant I respected, a farm to table experience where all the meats and cheeses were made nearby, and it was heavenly. It was crispy fried slab with creamy soft middle, and I was pretty sloshed from wine pairings all night anyway, but it was amazingly tasty and satisfying, and very good, and I wished I had more at the time. It was served alongside a mostarda sampling, a couple flavors, maybe raspberry or mango, kind of mustardy-winey-sweet. I would order it again somewhere that you know it's craft, but I'm not so sure I'd go for some Jones, although maybe it's got oversight to ensure purity.

What does it taste like? Unique. Kind of a veal vs pork difference if you're into sausage or bratwurst and can understand the blends. It's typically spiced sweeter too, more aromatic and mild. I liken the texture to that corned beef hash's ability to crisp up but be soft at the same time, or even a fried spam texture. It's not firm like a bologna, or even firm like breakfast sausage. It's juicier from gelatin I suppose. There is definitely a corn meal component where it aids the crispiness and adds a hominy grits kind of flavor. The reason I loved it was due to my already existing love of corn meal fried things like okra. I appreciated it. Order it again despite the risks? I might have to be drunk.

I suppose it's a good way to use leftovers...

You keep saying flyover, but something tells me you haven't even bothered to see where it originates from.

""As a result, scrapple is strongly associated with areas surrounding Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, eastern Virginia, and the Delmarva Peninsula. Its popularity on the Delmarva Peninsula is celebrated the second weekend of October during the annual "Apple Scrapple Festival" in Bridgeville, Delaware.""

I like to put 'ple on my 'go 'za

What a shitty thread

scrapple came to the US with the German settlers, and was popularized as a NE regional dish by the dutch settlers. and its delicious.

literally the opposite of flyover food, its an east coast regional breakfast food.

is that a stone?

It's better than your dogshit mushroom sauce

Vomit mostly.

the entire east coast has scrapple

There's more coast North of New Jersey...

Is this like goetta?

Same thing

why'd they call it something way fucking sillier

wrong

Scrapple is made with cornmeal. When fried it gets crispy on the outside, but tender on the inside. Goetta is made with oats and gets much more crispy overall when fried. Also scrapple is heavier spiced, goetta is a little more bland because the crispiness lets it stand on its own with a more simple flavor.

I get it from my local butcher shop.
It tastes a bit sour, but that's part of the appeal.
I like it.

*we call it Panhas.

I prefer head cheese

it's more like meat loaf if you consider how it's made

Goetta is based as fuck. Just gotta be careful frying it, the oats will actually pop, not like popcorn, but almost as crazy. Glad to see some goetta fans in here. When I'm in the mood for weird semipreserved meats, I like me some scrapple, but I loves me some goetta.