The oat paradox: they are good for you, but miserable to eat without an overload of sweetener. What's the solution?

The oat paradox: they are good for you, but miserable to eat without an overload of sweetener. What's the solution?

Season them with something other than a sweetener.

Put a tbsp of brown sugar and some cinnamon, maybe some fruit. Wont kill your gainz breh.

>miserable to eat without an overload of sweetener

nigga what? ive chewed straight up oats and they're sweet just by themselves. but i guess if you're that much of a little bitch about it, mix it with your favorite protein powder

Savory oats. Some green onion, a dash of worcestershire and hot sauce, and an egg.

Artificial sweetener obviously

Does anyone else heat their oats to the temperature just below the point where it gets soggy and mushy?

I go 50/50.
Which is still like 10 grams of damn sugar to my fatass taste, but I love it too much to stop.

Feels good to know i'm not the only one who does that.
Sometimes I just eat a couple raw spoonfulls right out of the container.

I add a bit of salt to the oats for taste. I don't know anyone else who does.

savory oats
beat me to it

Putting fruit in it is kinda obvious. Bananas and raisins are good.

I put granola in mine because I can't eat a bowl of oatmeal without some sort of texture. As soon as it's nothing but goop, I want to vomit.

Brown sugar and honey are better than processed white sugar.

If you don't want any sugar than you can't beat cinnamon as a seasoning.

If you have to have some sweetness just to enjoy them, then use fruit. Saute some apples, or strawberries, blueberries...whatever, than add them to your oat meal. By heating the fruit, you evaporate some of the water which highlights the natural sweetness of the fruit.

One of my favorite uses for oats is mixed in with my yogurt, raw.

I take plain yogurt, add strawberry, blueberries, pecans, and a handful of raw oats. It's delicious and needs no additional sweeteners.

>Brown sugar and honey are better than processed white sugar.
No they aren't. This is really dangerous misinformation.

I find toasted walnuts and a lot of cinnamon make oatmeal tasty enough without any sweetener.

Pretty simple, yes?

Raw honey has a modicum of nutritional superiority, no?

I do a scoop of vanilla protein and a spoonful of peanut butter in mine. It's bretty good.

Regular sugar won't hurt you using it sparingly. Alternatively you can use artificial stuff which again won't hurt you used sparingly. I find that adding the proper amount of slat brings out the full sweetness of whatever you use. I personally like honey.

>superiority
Ehh... I wouldn't say that

I've been eating it with just cinnamon and a splash of milk and find it delicious. I don't even measure ingredients anymore, just toss in about twice as much water as I want oats.

Stop having the tastes of a child you sugar-addict fruitcake.

>miserable to eat without an overload of sweetener. What's the solution?
Make all the sweetener on top, such that it's not blended all throughout the oats. You get a swirly smidge in each spoonful in a noticeable way. It's kind of the same theory with fruit on the bottom sour yogurt. You use less to get the same sweetened amount in each mouthful. It's how it hits your tastebuds all at once. Flavor might help, like brown sugar or demerara sugar vs white. Honey or molasses, and aromatic spices like allspice, clove or cinnamon. Chunky pectin filled jam might be sweeter than fresh tart fruit for sweetening.

Regular rolled oats without that "instant" is ky for a nice texture, best fiber and nutrition as well as nutty taste. Also, make sure you use salt when you prepare fresh oats. Getting past the bland is one reason you might want to oversweeten them.

Well yeah but when you cook it you lose all the benefits so no, it wouldn't be much healthier to use honey as a sweetener. Tastier tho

fruit and nuts, dumbass. And a tablespoon ground flax. You can put all that shit in a blender together if you want to spike your blood sugar a little more.

oats are a trap they're just carbs, nothing special about them

Almost this
They have some micros and a lot of the right types of fiber. No need to eat them if you can't do it without adding a bunch of shit

Personally I love them with just water and a little salt. With milk it's even better, and don't even get me started on cocoa powder/nibs and peanut butter

laypeople shouldn't deal in reductionist nutrition

Brown sugar is literally white sugar and molasses

No. All sugars that don't come with fiber and other nutrients as part of a whole food are similarly detrimental. Is it too hard to put some bananas and berries in your oatmeal?

Fruits and berries, obviously.

Don't add sweetener. Add fruit instead. Berries, banana, peaches, nectarines, etc. You get the oats sweetened plenty that way, plus dat fruit goodness.

>it's an Americans are literally addicted to sugary shit to the point they evolved a different sense of taste than other people episode
Nigger, oat don't need sweetening at all

That's all I do. Enough hot water in instant oats, a dash of salt, done.

I make a apple compo to put on top

I can smell your BO from here you pathetic neckbeard

Nice pseudo science!

beans are better

oatmeal? are you crazy?

Grits with butter, a little salt, and a mountain of black pepper taste way better than oats.

A bit of salt and then a butter eye in the middle

stevia sucralose mix

>Sweat onions, chilies, garlic, and ginger with some coconut oil
>Add oats, tumeric, garam masala, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and chili powder
>Add coconut milk and chicken broth
>Cook till done
>Serve with cilantro

Literally unreal delicious

Soy sauce, garlic, and scallions with a dab of oyster sauce is also GOAT

I eat plain oatmeal all the time. What's wrong with it?

the solution is just to put some fruit in there
what the fuck

Do you cook it with a vagina on?

Steel cut oats. They taste good enough to eat plain.

a shitload of maple syrup and some cinnamon.

I just put a small bit of sweetener in (deal with it) but also add a good bit of ground ginger. gives it a lovely spiciness

used to mix in the contents of a sweet tea sachet, the berry ones in particular, but that was a few years ago

Actually, I made some recently with less water and some salt, and it reminded me of plain pasta.

Change how you think of things,

Peanut butter

>I go 50/50.
aspartame tastes exactly like sugar. dump as much of it in your oats as you need. It's harmless. I put it in chili, really helps with the flavor.

Use honey. Just drizzle that shit and maybe add fruit if it's still too plain.

Sure it's still sugary but it's more natural so fuck you it doesn't count

Try whey powder and fruit

I just put in enough almond milk to cover the oats + a drizzle of agave nectar, honey, or a drop of stevia. Eat it cold. Pretty tasty.

fried egg with salsa/picante sauce/hot sauce; could add some bacon too. dont really have a sweet tooth.

could throw in an avocado in there as well. best option would be to go with grits and throw some shrimp on it.

>miserable to eat without an overload of sweetener

What are you, 5?

splenda nigras

>aspartame tastes exactly like sugar.
>exactly like sugar

I cook my rolled oats in water and eat them plain, they're quite sweet by themselves

i always have my oatmeal with these ingredients alone or a mixture of these: peanut butter, fruit preserves, bananas, blueberries, almond milk, walnuts/pecans, or fig butter. i haven't used agave nectar or honey but i imagine it would be nice

I just add some fat like ghee or coconut oil, then sea salt, some honey or coconut sugar, raspberries and or blueberries and spices such as vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and add in things like soaked Chia seeds and or walnuts. Can also add some yoghurt or nut milk or whatever you like. I choose those ingredient because they have a lot of brain benefits

Butter and cinnamon

yep

your recipe is shit sanjeev

Honey is no better than high fructose corn syrup, which really isn't any worse than sucrose. They're all shit.

Holy fuck you are stupid mix in some peanut butter bro

The solution to obtain beta-glucans by oats is to drink oat milk user. Not as a milk replacement but as a water replacement.

Don't add so much water, then they're more like rice or something. Works best with old fashioned. Just try it. Don't forget salt.

I would just take reishi mushroom extract if I was trying to get beta-glucan and immuno-modulation benefits

MAke them savory. I enjoy them with cheese and meat and salt. They are a grain like anything else so use it in place of quinoa//couscous/rice/spelt etc

I'm a poorfag so I got oats for days. Also, get steel cut. Find a place that sells it from bulk bins for mad savings.

Can someone explain the oatmeal meme to me? Is this a trick like SS? They don't seem like they're anything special looking at the nutrition facts, and they aren't particularly filling either.

This. You need very, very little and it's effective.

Milk and a pinch of salt is all oats need. They're kind of naturally sweet if cooked in milk.

I just eat them without sweetener.

>what's the solution
Stop being such a disgusting fat fuck

Good carbs, low calory
It's not magic m8

Try throwing in a pinch of cinnamon instead of sweetener and cooking the oats in milk instead of water. Additionally, you might try adding some fruit in with them. When I made pärevälling (Danish pear milk porridge) a few nights ago I did that and it tasted great. Now pärevälling is mostly pearled barley with a few pear slices and milk, so it's not exactly like oats, but the same principle applies.

I throw a spoon of molasses, cinnamon and rasins in mine.

I cook mine with a tablespoon saffron.

>calory
Retard.

spoon of cocoa, pinch of salt, some frozen berries.

Stir a little bit of this in there and its all you'll need.

>spelling
>intelligence

put slices of banana or prune and crushed walnuts/peccans on top.

Heavy cream and salt.

The problem with sweetening oats is that if you only add a little sugar, it somehow becomes more bland than if it was plain. So you'd end up adding a lot of sugar, and by that point you feel sick from the sugar before satiated from the oats.

I don't know if it's true or not but I read Irish people traditionally would eat oats plain or with cream and salt, and thought adding sugar was terrible. You could also make oat bread.

1 cup Instant oats + 1tbsp honey + 1.5 cup of milk + microwave

If you need sugar just kill yourself tbqhfamalamalam

stir in some stevia

Couple drams of whiskey poured over will sort them out

Chopped Banana, Walnuts, Blueberries

If I'm too much of a tight ass to buy fresh blueberries I'll add dried cranberries.

I should probably look at buying frozen blueberries.

>honey
>milk
>if you need sugar kill yourself

If you were American, would you prefer to eat pure natural sugar out of the bee and the cow or some bullshit GMO government subsidised high fructose corn syrup?

As far as human nutrition is concerned, honey is nearly identical to high fructose corn syrup. But you may eat less of it because it comes in smaller bottles and costs more. Date syrup is way better. It's just whole dates and water.

Ok you win

Enjoy eating HFCS for the rest of your miserable life btw

I'd hate to have someone dictate to me what I ate

I generally don't eat any refined sugars. Exceptions are made when traveling.

avoid sugar by using honey

Do you never eat a chocolate bar here or there? Or the odd piece of candy?

Are you on a sugar free diet or are you just a hipster? I've never met anyone that's lived in a first world country who doesn't consume at a minimum, 2-3 teaspoons of sugar a day, even if they didn't realise they had done so.

Do you have the diabeetus?

>nearly pure sugar
>no fiber or other nutrients to slow its absorption
You're paying more for no benefit.

sounds delicius but a lot of work tto prepare

I eat lots of fruit. When I want chocolate, I pull a few bananas out of the freezer and put them in the blender with two or three tablespoons cocoa powder or nibs, flax, vanilla. Maybe some nuts or nut butter too. I usually eat only whole foods because it's what's most satisfying.