Why the fuck is it so hard to find mackerel anywhere. Tilapia and trout are all over, i can even find mahi-mahi...

why the fuck is it so hard to find mackerel anywhere. Tilapia and trout are all over, i can even find mahi-mahi, but mackerel only seems to be in fucking korean marketplaces hours away from where i live

Try the fish markets?

I don't have that problem. Maybe you should try a specialty store.

My seafood dealer usually have a few different types mackerel. sierra, green, jack, indian, horse, blue ect.

It's too bad, that you dont live somewhere cooler so you can get some fresh saba.

Move to Cornwall you can litrelly haul them out the ocean with a handline and a spinner

because Gordon Ramsey declared it holy

>seafood dealer
Kek.

Try a bait shop.

Where do you live?
Here in Norway you can just fish them yourself, because they're so plentiful.
Just throw your lure out at surface level and reel em in, easy peasy.

>why the fuck is it so hard to find mackerel anywhere

Mackerel goes bad really really really fast. Unless you are near a mackerel fishing area it's unlikely you will find it.

Yeah, I have family in Denmark. Same situation there.

>closest asian market is hours away

I waved at you the other day while I was on a flight across the country.

>Mackerel goes bad really really really fast.
This. Same is true of herring, which you won't find fresh very far from where it's caught, either. The oily fishes go off super quick. They're not even worth a fishmonger stocking fresh if he isn't likely to sell them the day they come in. That's why they're so often smoked, salted or canned.

Also they're not super popular among Americans. I have a buddy who fishes commercially for black bass, and when they get mackerel they use it for bait, because it's not worth their time to sell.

If you can find a trustworthy source for it fresh mackerel is fucking delicious, but if you're not on the coast you might be SOL.

>have six independent fishmongers walking distance of my house
>also have four supermarket fishmongers walking distance
>AND have four asian supermarkets that are also walking distance
>fresh mackerel is sold at nearly all of them
What I can't find easily are fresh anchovies, fresh pilchards and live octopus.
I mean... frozen octopus is fine if that's all I have, but I fuck it up nearly half the time, turning it tougher than shoe leather.
I've never fucked up live octopus.

Still, I feel your pain, OP. I'll remember you next time I enjoy a delicious roast mackerel.

I'm in America yea, I used to find smoked ones in Jewel but those went away for some reason
that sounds so nice, i hope you find some nice fresh anchovies,pilchards and octopus my dude

>Jewell
Well /there's/ your problem, OP. You're too far inland to easily get a huge variety of fresh seafood.
I'm sure you've looked online for frozen mackerel. I know I have, though for pilchards. I'd have to order a fucktonne of them or they won't deliver, so I'm kinda fucked on that point.

Come to the coast some time and I'll roast you up some mackerel. I marinate it /after/ cooking. I don't know what the technique is called in English, though. Basically, you roast it to around 75% done, then put it in a container with the marinade and lid it to finish by carry-over, then serve. The marinade is olive oil, a splash of lemon juice or white wine (or apple cider) vinegar, sliced raw garlic and lots of fresh parsley. Also salt, obviously.

All I can tell you is go to your Korean store with a coldbag and ice pack, buy lots, have them clean them for you and freeze them. Most fishes freeze pretty okay, especially oily fish. Just make sure they're not exposed to open air. A vac sealer can help with that.

Probably my favourite fish.

Hi.

Same here, OP, and I live in what's supposed to be a seafood-lovin' town. We're not on the east or west coast though so our selection is limited to lake fish and popular imports. And no one's importing mackerel. We got all the cod, haddock, tilapia, snapper, perch, crab, clams, scrod, lobster, scallops, swordfish, mahi mahi, tuna, oysters, salmon, flounder, catfish and trout you could want. But if you want mackerel, it's coming out of a can. Sucks 'cause it's one of my favorite fish.

my fish importer delivers it fresh and kicking whenever i want it

>pleb has to drive hours for a mackeral

where are you, kansas? hahaha

In my flyover town, seafood = catfish & shrimp

Are you seeking the religious kind?

in the middle of illinois sadly, i'm kind of near chicago but i'm not sure if they'd have it either...

sorry to hear that, i've tried the can one in a fit of desperation. i would never recommend it to anyone haha

thanks guy, that sounds delicious! I always have it with a side of garlic roasted potatoes. 10/10 food combination! I'd go to my korean place but I don't have a car so getting there usually means more of a hassle on one of my few days off and I'm never sure if it's worth it or not

I know..lol...it was either that or fishmonger which to me sounds antiquated and they are more of a wholesale house anyways so "dealer" fits the description.