>2016
>not having your own wood-burning oven

Shiggydiggydoo

But seriously though, this shit is amazing. Pizza done in like 3 minutes tops. Bread tastes incredible.

Why haven't you created a custom oven by hand yet Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/03/the-pizza-lab-awesome-pizza-without-an-oven-aka-skillet-pizza.html
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html
youtube.com/watch?v=IvI0MFHLfQ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does it make ' ' ?

Pizza could use some anchovies.

Pretty sure we made another one with anchovies. The oven is so fucking hot that they basically disappear and just add that delicious salty flavor.

>put them on at the beginning and have them dissolve
>put them on at the end for a nice meaty bite

I'm fine either way.

Hopefully owning a wood burning oven is somewhere in the foreseeable future.

Looks good, even though I prefer a cracker thin crust. You built this? How much did it cost you in materials and about how long did it take to construct? Did you look up builds online? Where?

I'll be honest, my dad did all the design work and got all the material. I just helped him with the construction and shit.

My mom is Italian and we've spent a lot of time in Italy so they had a rough idea of what they wanted it to look like/be made of for years.

That looks really nice.
A friend of mine made a clay oven which had pretty simple design but worked like a charm. Literally just a clay dome with ventilation

>Why haven't you created a custom oven by hand yet Veeky Forums?
>I just helped him

lel...

That looks nice, but it also looks like a pain in the ass to get the heat started. Like a charcoal grill x6. I can't imagine that thing being very efficient unless you have a full month's worth of baking to do.

I'm actually happy enough with the cast iron + broiler method I learned from serious eats.

You want super high heat cooking the pizza from above and below at the same time to make the crust bubbly and delicious. For me this means preheating a cast iron, laying the pizza dough into the pan, topping it as quickly as I can, then shoving it under a broiler until the top is done.

Don't they make the pizza on a tortilla?

that was some bar pizza bullshit that's another food entirely

slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/03/the-pizza-lab-awesome-pizza-without-an-oven-aka-skillet-pizza.html

I've not yet tried a pizza steel/stone so I can't tell you how it compares, but the results are quite nice imo.

I just did that a few weeks ago and it turned out orgasmically.

What recipe did you use for the crust?

huh it turns out what I linked you isn't actually what I use. My bad.

This is what I actually use.
slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html

Well to sound ignorant, what goes in the doors? Do you fire wood both under and inside the oven?

Never used such a space age contraption before.

I've been thinking about it, but it seems like a lot of time to create one, and/or a lot of money.

If you make 8 pizzas a month on that thing, you're spending 15 bucks per pizza just in oven cost.

Is it worth 15 bucks per pizza to have the difference between that and the oven or grill I already have... I'm struggling with making sense of it. And 8 is a lot ogmf pizza per month. Its gonna be out of commission 6 months of the year because of Col or overly hot temps.. I bet I'd use it for 4 pizzas 6 months out of the year.. That's more like 30 or 40 bucks per pie in oven construction costs for first year or two. That's steep.

Grilled pizza is fucking delish, and the best 'go 'za is oven based. If I want wood fired from time to time there are severs local pizza restaurants I can go to.

I think it's just wood or charcoal inside the oven.

i don't eat cheese. If I ate cheese, I'd be 20 lbs heavier than I am now.

afraid my cat will climb inside

hell, you can just bake it on the grill, propane is best

What design did your dad use?

I have been looking into this on duba duba duda dort fornobravo dort cam.

You can buy premades for a couple grand. you can buy premade refractory clay for about a grand and make your own bases, stands, counters, insulation, chimneys and stuff... or you can buy refractory bricks and mortar and make your own.. still close to a grand or more worth of materials depending on the total design and how you build and decorate the finished product.

I get the idea of making delicious pizza... but its an economies of scale thing. It makes sense if you are going to churn out hundreds of pizzas per night in a restaurant. but as points out, your average home owner or residential pizza oven might get used a couple times a month when the weather is nice. the construction cost doesn't really make sense. take that 2,000 worth of construction cost and go buy yourself 100 proffessionally wood fire grilled pizzas at a nice restaurant.

For those of you that will say it can be done cheaper.. it is true.. you can do it cheaper. But then it is questionable as to whether you are really eating woodfire grilled 'za or not. IMO, I've done a good bit of research, if you want a nicely built, reliable long lasting oven it's gonna take you a good bit of time and money. I would say at least 800 in material costs and several days/weekends worth of your time. Because my time is valuable, I would be very tempted to buy a premade kit for about 1,600 to 2,500 or pay someone 3 to 4 grand to install one for me. Now we're talking construction costs equal to at least 200 large pies... Thats like 5 years of pizza for me... That's a difficult thing to make sense of.

Here is a cheap option... trash can "wood fired" pizza:

youtube.com/watch?v=IvI0MFHLfQ8

pic related... the "casa" kit that was used to build this is just the internal oven structure and costs 2,000. the rest of the whole thing would cost a lot more.

White Anchovies are your friend, friend.

Look up Jay's signature pizza crust. It's on all recipes.

Just make sure you use bread flour instead of all purpose like a moron.

So why put coals on top? Is this just something you do to toast the crust of the pie?

you want the heat hitting the pizza from both the top and bottom. Coals are in the oven to cook the top.