Studies show vegans have significantly higher rates of mental health issues

studies show vegans have significantly higher rates of mental health issues

psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201211/youre-vegetarian-have-you-lost-your-mind

Other urls found in this thread:

lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-B12
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>vegan gains is an mgs fan

Fuck

and then they all die from b12 deficiency the end

I don't think anyone needed an article for that

being a vegan IS a mental health issue.

Why does everyone feel so threatened by vegans, to the point of constantly belittling them? I think it's quite a noble cause. I'm not even vegetarian or anything.

Are people actually insecure or just immature or what?

He looks like a fucking alien.

"In Germany, are the neurotic perfectionists who are more likely to be choosey about food (and thus select vegetarianism and eschew fast food) also more vulnerable to depression and anxiety? Sure, could be. Or maybe those with mental troubles try to avoid what is thought to be bad food (meat and fast food)."

Sounds about right.

We can't shitpost about fast food and Americans in every thread. We need some variety

you have to be pretty mentally unstable to be placing animals on the same level as humans where you feel bad that they die for your consumption.

because vegans are like autistic communist revolutionaries.

you may think "aww, they want to make a better world, how sweet" but if they ever actually did gather together and enforce their beliefs, meat would be prohibited, and you'd be sent off to the gulag for going out and hunting your own game.

It's because veganism falls into the same category as "fat acceptance." It's a personal choice detrimental to one's own health being shilled as "healthy." Too much hypocrisy, as vegans self-proclaim plants to be non-sentient, not alive to promote the illusory belief that vegans are morally and ethically superior, thus more entitled to killing living organisms for food than other people.

>I think it's quite a noble cause. I'm not even vegetarian or anything.

>Here's where I pretend to be a non-vegetarian or anything to feign incredulity and make my opinion valid.

except veganism is good for literally everyone involved and everyone not involved

the notion that it's like fat acceptance means you don't understand either

meat taste good

It's not.

that's great... I guess?

so are you saying that eating meat is like fat acceptance, where you just do whatever feels good in the moment?

It's not what?
You realize that you can get b12 as a vegan, right?

I dont really think about it too deeply i just enjoy eating meat and fat people are just fat

so they are similar in that way? you just enjoy eating meat, and fat people just enjoy eating whatever and consequences be damned

>I literally cannot believe that anyone but a vegan would believe in veganism

Well you're wrong. I just believe in truth, and truth be told plant-based diets are much more sustainable than animal-based diets.

Sure

You absolutely cannot get B12 from a vegan diet alone without supplements and even with supplementation it's difficult to meet the daily value because synthetic B12 has a 1:1000 absorption ratio.

even if that were true, which it isn't, who cares if you use supplements?

people are vegan for decades; are you contended that they don't exist?

and there "synthetic" b12 is just bacteria, which is all b12

and you made that bioavailability up out of thin air

>truth be told plant-based diets are much more sustainable than animal-based diets.
>Source: my vegan poopchute.

Vegans don't really care about health, they care about animals

I care primarily about myself. I feel healthy on a vegan diet, which is good. I also feel like a more morally integrated person.

It isn't so much about animals as it is about the sort of person I believe myself to be. Veganism primarily allows me to live more closely in conformity with how I view myself as a moral being.

>lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-B12

It's true and the "supplements" you talk about are prescription drugs to treat chronic deficiencies faced by vegans, which is neither "healthy" nor "natural," but that flies over every vegan's head, every time.

what is true? what are you even talking about?

Is this saying that vegan supplements are absorbed in that way? Is this talking about supplements at all?

Are you educated? Do you understand the resource management involved in meat production? I don't care what you eat but at least don't live in a fantasy land.

so if the supplements are prescribed to treat deficiencies, how could they be nigh impossible to absorb?

surely they would need to prescribe something that the body could actually use, right?

"natural" is a meaningless term, and even if it did have any meaning whatsoever, it wouldn't be prescriptive. That is "natural = good; unnatural = bad" is both devoid of meaning and extremely flawed in logic

Read it you goddamn retard. Passive diffusion, sublingual. There's also intravenous B12 doses for those with severe B12 deficiency.

from your own article, you slaughterhouse shill

>Products of animal origin constitute the primary source of vitamin B12. Older individuals and vegans are advised to use vitamin B12 fortified foods and supplements to meet their needs

>advised to use vitamin B12 fortified foods and supplements to meet their needs

so, your own article is saying that these supplements and fortified food (you see, you don't need supplements) allow vegans to meet their b12 needs

Whether it's about animals or not, ideas about morality seem to be the driving force behind veganism rather than health

I did read it, you stupid fuck
it doesn't say anything about supplements except as something that vegans SHOULD take to meet their needs
not that you can't absorb them

explain

>omnivores are the only ones who are aware of the secret vitamin b12

Son, have you ever looked at the label of a b12 supplement? Everyone knows it's poorly absorbed. That's why the bottle of b12 I have sitting next to me contains 83,000% of my DRV per serving.

B12 supplements have been proven for years to be perfectly effective at preventing deficiency. Also, the only reason b12 supplementation is necessary for vegans is because our food is made so unnaturally clean before we eat it. B12, as I assume you know, is produced by bacteria that would be found naturally on the produce we eat if we were just taking it out of the ground, giving it a quick rinse and eating it. It's only due to the excessive cleaning produce goes through before reaching the public that all the b12 producing bacteria is removed.

People like to use b12 as "proof" that vegan diets are unnatural but it's only our food production techniques that are unnatural. There have been studies done of religious vegan groups in third world countries who take no supplements but suffer no deficiencies because their produce is much "dirtier" than ours and as a result, contains plenty of naturally occurring b12 producing bacteria.

Mental issues vs heart attacks. I don't know.

>>advised to use vitamin B12 fortified foods and supplements to meet their needs

That is precisely what I said. Fortified foods (not enough) AND supplements (prescription drugs). Being a vegan is being chronically ill.

no, you said that even if you did use supplements, you wouldn't' be able to meet your needs

who cares if you use supplements? when the fuck are you living?

and yes fortified foods are enough

So what if you eat meat but find fish absolutely disgusting? You are no better off than a vegan with no omega 3. So might as well be vegan and take a supplement of B12 and DHA/EPA omega 3, or just eat a couple tablespoons of ground flax every day, and enjoy the heart benefits.

It's also common due to malabsorption.

what is common?

holy shit words

B12 deficiency. You're too dumb for this.

how about you try to provide any evidence at all that doesn't DIRECTLY DISPROVE what you are contending?

it's called a pronoun antecedent. learn english

and any evidence for this that isn't shot down by the evidence you provide

I already blew you the fuck out with all the evidence needed, past this point you're merely dancing around the subject and invoking an English grammar argument because you have nothing else to say. Typical mentally unstable vegan. Thanks for proving the point in OP's study.

lol
you provided evidence that explicitly directly contradicted what you were saying

>DHA/EPA omega 3

The benefits from fatty fish are beginning to be proven to be not as great as everyone thought they were initially. Fish oil is turning out to be more snake oil than anything else.

And even if it weren't, the DHA/EPA found in fatty fish isn't something the fish produce themselves. They get it from the plants and algae they eat. So all you're doing when you take a algae-based omega 3 supplement is getting your omega 3s from the original source rather than filtering them through a fish first.

Omega 3/6 balance is more about reducing your omega 6 intake than increasing your 3 intake anyway. The less omega 6 you consume, the less omega 3 you need.

You need to stop before you dig yourself any deeper. B12 supplements are all formulated to account for poor absorption. There are decades of research proving that b12 supplements are perfectly effective at preventing deficiency.

So you'd be scared to be a minority?

>You need to stop before you dig yourself any deeper. B12 supplements are all formulated to account for poor absorption. There are decades of research proving that b12 supplements are perfectly effective at preventing deficiency.

Fortified foods aren't, supplements can be - malabsorption is an obstacle. Intravenous B12 is the most effective method.

It's a fine dietary choice for an adult. Yes children need meat to grow, but once they're developed they can easily transition to veganism with no health risks as long as they balance their diet.
Eating meat is fine, but in the excess that first world citizens do it, it's awful for you and the environment. People realistically should only eat meat a few times a week for a healthy, sustainable diet.

Well duh, you have to be mentally ill to be a vegan in the first place.

>muh supplements to treat muh chronic deficiencies

Not enough.

Still not enough.

That's basically what I was saying. I don't see the great need to eat any animal products.

again, from that article
>was apparently daily treated with a multivitamin oral preparation with a multivitamin preparation (Multicentrum, Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, Rome, Italy) during the second and third trimester in order to ensure an intake of 2.5μg of vitamin B12 per day. Unfortunately, this supplementation was stopped after delivery. The child was exclusively breastfed until the fifth month of life, when he was hospitalised because of poor weight gain, fwas apparently daily treated with a multivitamin oral preparation with a multivitamin preparation (Multicentrum, Pfizer Consumer Healthcare, Rome, Italy) during the second and third trimester in order to ensure an intake of 2.5μg of vitamin B12 per day. Unfortunately, this supplementation was stopped after delivery. The child was exclusively breastfed until the fifth month of life, when he was hospitalised because of poor weight gain,
> Unfortunately, this supplementation was stopped after delivery. The child was exclusively breastfed until the fifth month of life, when he was hospitalised
do you read these?
do you have any idea what any of these things say, or are you just spamming shit that you saw someone else spam?

This one is totally irrelevant

If anything, it proved a vegan diet is inadequate for both mother and baby, and how supplementation during pregnancy failed, which is precisely the point.

The only sound comment in response to ITT.

This. I've seen more anti-vegan posts on the interwebz than pro-vegan ones by a factor of 10.

m8, that's not what that says

look, I'm not wasting my day on a spammer who doesn't even read his own articles

>i'm not even vegetarian or anything

And you clearly have never met any either.

it's an american thing, since vegans there are so extreme to the point of bullying people. I'm not american, and i've met a lot of vegans, and they all seem quite pasionate about it and are usually nice lads/gals.

There are rarely extremist vegans here in America. People just read online of instances few and far between and for some reason assume their way of life is being attacked by this tiny minority of the population. It's usually the other way around.
>user don't you want some turkey?
>no thanks
>why aren't you eating turkey?
>I don't eat meat
>WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM
Sums up my last thanksgiving. Meat eaters are way more aggressive about their dietary choices.

it's crazy how VG is right about veganism bring superior and feminism being total shit yet chugs the 'all cops are racists who ride around hunting innocent blacks' koolaid by the barrel
so close but not quite, weeeew laddy

I always try to make vegan/vegetarian friends to eat jello. Fucking dummies.

>>I don't eat meat
>>WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR PROBLEM

things that never happened: the post