I have to make 1 meal for under $20 to last me 5 days

I have to make 1 meal for under $20 to last me 5 days.

2 meals a day.

So i bought a pork shoulder thats over 7 pounds. I added a jar of salsa to the slow cooker and itll cook for 2 hours "high", 10 hours "low" and a couple hours "warm."

Then i cook 2 pounds of rice. After that, im gunna add 2 cans of black beans and one can of white beans. Ill lastly shred the pork and add everything into the slow cooker pot.

What do you guys think? After the bone and fat, the pork is probably 6.5 pounds. So thats 11 pounds of high calorie, moderately nutritious food for under $20.

I spent the left over $3 on a bottle of V8 fyi.

I would leave the rice separate, but that's my preference. Otherwise sounds good, what kind of salsa did you use?

This is the rice, beans and salsa i found in the house.

Im literally just working with what i have but this salsa has decent reviews.

Buy a pork picnic roast for $1 a pound.
8 hrs on low in a crock pot is plenty. Add some thinly sliced cabbage for the final hour or so.

Make macaroni salad.

Pull out all the meat and make a soup stock from whats left

if you had tortillas that would also make a decent taco.

Dude i got my pork shoulder for $1.75 a pound. My grocery stores dont even sell pork picnic.

Idk about rice in the taco...

Plus i ended my trip at $19.36

i grind the skin and fatty parts into sausage. Cut off the meat for roasts. Make soup from the bones and such

Pork is cooked and shreeded. Im going to put more salsa in it and cook the rice with some of the juice that came out of the pork

For the price you did well, vegetables would have been ideal but pricey

>1 meal under 20 dollars for 10 meals
how about 20?
get some rice, get some beans, you're basically golden and get anything else you want with the remainder of the money.

I got a can of white beans, 2 cans of black beans and 2 pounds of rice. I forgot an onion though.

Cooking in bulk is definitely cheap, you did well OP. Change the flavor profile with different seasonings or sauces each day so your meals don't get boring and you're good to go.

Its good!

>cans of beans
you done fucked up. buy them dry next time.

to give an example. one lb of rice is like 76 c, maybe even less, depends on where you buy, but alwyas buy that shit smart. pintos and black beans are the best cheap beans. onions are great cheap food as well, but theres canned tomatos to consider, both are good. either way, make sure you buy well dollar per lb wise, dry beans will firm up to much more than a can of beans though.

I only had to buy 1 can, the lady im dog sitting for had 2 cans of beans

Plated

I would have bought:
carton of egg ~$5
bag of beans ~$4
bag of rice ~$4
box of baby spinach ~$3
bag of baby carrots ~$3

That does seem like it'd be pretty tasty. Good job OP.

why not replace the spinach with onions and buy something other than eggs?

$5 for fucking eggs when op is getting 7 pounds of decent meat for less than $20?

You're crazy

>box of curry mix, $3
>bunch of onions, potatoes, and carrots, $8
>small bag of rice, $2
>as much chicken as you can get with the remaining $7

Hey that looks pretty gud

Looks like greasy sawdust on top of maggots.

$8 for root vegetables? Where do you live?

When I make Golden Curry, I buy a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables at Kroger for about $1.50. It has broccoli, onion, carrots, celery, string beans, red bell pepper, and mushrooms.

>$8 for root vegetables? Where do you live?

I looked at my receipt again, I lied. It was half that. Apparently the asparagus I bought for other dishes cost $4.30.

Jesus christ what the fuck asparagus.

>tfw moving into a place without a kitchen soon

I imagine I'll cook like this every goddamn day, how do i keep it interesting?

>not buying a hotplate
Are you soft in the head?

You can put a rub on it, put it on a bed of onions, cook it about like you said before, pull it out, shred it and put a cup or two of BBQ sauce in it.

Now you've got the meat for pulled pork sandwiches for the next few weeks. If you want, you can go ahead and assemble the sandwiches and then put them all in the freezer, and when you want a sandwich, pop it in the microwave, instead pulled pork BBQ sandwich.

asparagus is fairly expensive compared to similar green veggies, you fucked up

God dammit theres always some moran posting curry where it doesnt belong.

Asparagus is traditionally high class vegetable. Not so much these days, but 20 years ago poor people almost never ate asparagus. Its still relatively expensive, same with brocollini.

I do this all the time pulled pork has to be one of the easiest tasty things to make and on the cheap as well i can get hamburger buns for exactly 98 Cents at a grocery store 5 minutes away from my house as well.

You can do this with chicken, too, but its probably a bit more expensive.

Idk, my dad told me stories about living in Illanois. In about an hour, my uncles, him and aunt would harvest pounds of asperagus just growing along the train tracks. That and these weird wild onion/garlic hybrid plants.

>I have to make 1 meal for under $20 to last me 5 days.

Chili using cheap ass fucking sausage/managers special. When money gets tight, I cant feed my wife, me and my brother for about 50 bucks a month....and it tastes amazing

Cheap ass sausage where i am is still $4 a pound.

I wish i had the stones to make my own sausage.

I read those in that exact order and laughed way too hard. Looks alright OP.

lmao shit it got me too

just because you're on a budget doesn't mean you gotta cook the shit out of the pork shoulder. just cook it on low for around eight hours, cook the rice separately and cool it down when done, that way the rice won't keep cooking and cooking and turning your meal into gruel. also I know you added a can/jar of salsa but that doesn't mean you should skip seasoning it

easy. frozen chicken breasts, frozen mixed vegetables, bag of rice, bag of beans, spaghetti noodles, and sauce.

hello malnourished vegan weakling

That was a good idea OP. My old roommate would spend all his money on weed and alcohol then just buy a 12 inch subway sandwich and eat that bit by bit for a couple days. He was a fucking idiot though.

My pork shoulders is around 9 pounds, froze it a week ago because i had other stuff to finish. Time to defrost it and put a jar of pasta sauce and maybe a cup of chicken stock.

How long should I cook it for and what kind of veges should i use?

Just cook the meat. THEN add whatever seasoning, carbs and veggies you want.

Like op, cook 7 pounds of pork and then you can do whatever with it.

You should probably cook it 2-4 hours high, 8-10 hours low and then pull the bone out, shred or whatever you want, and keep it on warm or low for another hour or 2

I dont have any seasoning in this house, i am not living in my house. There was a jar of pumpkin spice, chives, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and some "pinto bean seasoning"

Who else likes to eat their pork shoulder unpulled? I don't cook it long enough to collapse and shred, just long enough for the meat to be firm and kind of elastic/chewy.

When I had a snoker, i would smoke boston butts and then just slice em up and dip it in bbq sauce.

Those were the good old days