Veeky Forums I don't know what to do here. I started drinking IPAs hoping I'd like them after a while...

Veeky Forums I don't know what to do here. I started drinking IPAs hoping I'd like them after a while. Everyone I knew laughed at my ass because they thought that IPAs tasted like bitter dog piss and I was force to "fake it till I made it," so to say. I proclaimed that I loved the bitter, mature taste, and while they didn't buy it at first, it's been months and now I'm cemented as the "IPAGuy."
But here's the "sick-kicker." I still absolutely detest them and now I can't stop. Now people buy me the most bitter fucking one offered in bars when we're out and they give me the shittiest beers because I'm "Iron Gut." I just want to stop but I know they'll disown me as a "Beer-backtracker" if I do.

I'm miserable and my life is falling apart, has anyone else had an experience like this? What the fuck do I do, I don't want to forever be a "Dog piss patron."

just say "no"

Fun fact: IPA's are popular because they're easy to brew. The ultra hopped ale hides imperfections in the brewing process really well. It's an entry level beer for brewers. It doesn't invalidate it though because some are pretty well balanced.

OP, go to a fucking bottle shop, talk to an employee and buy different kinds of beer. Why are you so fucking helpless?

I keep very aggressive company. If I go back on my only claim to fame then they'll treat me even worse than they did when I started consuming these horrid drinks. I'm at odds here, the easiest solution will be to buy both IPAs and a better tasting beer and pour out the IPA, pouring the other beer in and resealing it as best I can. I'll "BYOB" and nobody will want any of it anyway.

>the average IPA drinker

Plenty of great IPAs out there, but I had some super hoppy shit the other day andd I understand why people hate them now.

pic related, smelled like dank weed.

or you just grow some balls and realise the only thing thats embarassing is trying to be liked by other people over completely subjective things. If you order an appletini with confidence people will have a higher opinion of you, opposed to ordering an ipa while pretending. People arent as simple and stupid as you think. Its a lesson for life, the least you pretend the more youll actually get together with people you actually want to have around

These are the only people I can have around. My life is a wreck man, and if drinking piss water or doing a stealthy beer switch is what I have to do to keep company then it's honestly better than the alternative

>the less you pretend the better your life will be
my father is a rich politician and he made an entire career by lying

lying for career/financial purpose and lying for happines (through acquaintance) are two entirely different things.
Im not here to judge or anything, my life was also a trainwreck at some point, just saying that if people around you define you by what you drink, and if you stress out over that, it will not be a loss if that stops.

shut up

Quit being a pussy and embrace the flavor. What are you five?

this is bait

this is wrong, stupid, and gay

obviously there are a fucking million IPAs out there, some more bitter than others. find one you like jesus christ. lagunitas IPA is one of my least favorite IPAs ever. they are almost always oxidized/stale. drink local and fresh.

5/10 for getting me to respond

Since you are the IPA king you can really tell them that the shit they are offering you is not up to your standards.

Also you are the definition of a cuckhold. No fucking fortitude

>dude why are you drinking that shit?
>I thought I'd try it. I don't really like it but I am not going to waste booze

Try being a real person for once.

The regular bars I go to I switch up my shit all the time because it all gets same after a while.

>everyone else is only pretending to like it to fit in

>implying they aren't

Phase over to imperial stouts. Those can be quite sweet.

Just drink something else you pussy

Is this beer starting to become really popular or something? I recently moved to Chicago after living abroad for a few years and had never heard of it, but it seemed popular here. However when I went to the east coast I found it every where there too.

this sounds like the plot of an episode of how I met your mother. needless to say none of this is real folks

>bitter, mature taste
I thought IPAs were thought of as "beer4kidz".

I was just going to let my thread die because nobody was really trying to help me in a reasonable manner, but even though I cannot stand these brews, I do not think that they are "beers4kidz" as you say they are. The taste is bitter and mature, and that characteristic is reflected in those who drink them regularly, as I have found out. People do think that I am more mature when they see me drinking it, I almost got a 6/10 lady's number(before I found out she had a boyfriend, decided to "let sleeping dogs lie" if you know what I mean).

Maybe it's just the people I hang around but what you consume does carry connotations and if you deny that then you're denying reality.

I already detailed in this thread why I can't, please read the entire thread before posting.

huh. I genuinely thought IPAs were seen as less "manly" and "mature" than regular lagers. The IPAs I've tried tasted like beer and fruit juice, which made me think they were like "beer light". But I'm in Europe and maybe the regular lager beers people drink here taste more than american beer?

Shut the fuck up.

IPAs are very hard to drink if you don't already like beer so definitely not for kids. They're popular now because despite the bitter taste they are high in alcoholic content.

Personally I always found it silly that 4.5 and 5% beers were considered manly vs a cocktail that would easily be double that.

Your problem in the first place was giving a fuck about what others thought of your beer preferences, and it's the same problem that's plaguing you now.

i see basically 2 options for you: 1) get locked up in jail for some serious time and convert to islam, or 2) you are going to have to fake your own death and escape. you might want to join the french foreign legion or something like that - they aren't real particular about your past.

Guinness is considered a masculine drink and it's 4.8%. In people's perception, t's not the abv. that matters but the taste. Hence sweet cocktails are considered a chick drink but IPAs are manly.

I wasn't really a fan of these until I had it on tap. Started to enjoy the stubbies more after that.

>guinness is considered a masculine drink

You what now?

>"IPAGuy"
>"Iron Gut"
>"Beer-backtracker"
>"Dog piss patron"

Are you living in fucking Oz or something?

I think Lagunitas Maximus is my current favorite IPA.

Although, my friend claims it tastes like fucking horsepiss.

Our local brewed Guinness (through franchise) is 5.2% and is as bitter as fuck.

No fruityness or sweetness to it but the local "juices" used to be mauby and sorrel which have bitter after tastes so all the ghetto youth and older folk love our Guinness.