What's a good dish to practice/sharpen your knife skills?

What's a good dish to practice/sharpen your knife skills?

cutting onions

chicken kiev taught me that I could be a surgeon if my patients come to me already dead, try that one.

something with a mirepoix i guess... soup?

Anything that require finely dicing vegetables and/or separating meat from bone before cooking. Something like a braised vegetable and meat dish, maybe, or a composed salad of diced vegetables topped with deboned chicken or other meat or fish that's been grilled or pan cooked.

Anything indian that uses an onion base
This user knows, helps when you cut the root ball and cant see. Then you cut by feel, commrade.

Sodoku.

chateau potatoes. fuck tourne cuts

Steak Tartare, including all the ingredients for the seasoning. Awesome dish that involves tons of chopping, really helped me hone my skills on the line. Also Tartare is always an awesome addition to a charcuterie board.

>burgers by jack

Fuck tourne cuts is right. They look so old fashioned too, really not a fan at all.

Sushi ugh
Work as a busy sushi chef for a few years and you will get insanely good with a knife

my go to weeknight dinner: chopped salad
just chop any vegetables that make sense, chop herbs you have lying around, maybe some cheese, maybe some roasted bread, whatever.
Healthy, fast and flexible dinner-, also improves your basic knifeskills very fast.

Are those fucking STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES and BEEF on a charcuterie plate?! What crack were you smoking that your desiccated brain though you could call that servable?

That's not hand chopped meat you fucking liar. It might be "hand-detextured" but there's not one distinct cut visible. It's not meant to be minced.

Ceviche. Tons of knife cuts with onions tomato cucumber cilantro. As well as deveining shrimp etc.

French onion soup.

Mise en place for any dish should teach you skills. Brunoise some vegetables, chiffonade herbs, peysanne vegetables. Start with a minestrone soup or something similar and learn to utilise stocks, cutting proficiency isn't the be all of cooking, I'd hire a chef with average to poor knife skills over someone who can't season a dish correctly.

De-boning rabbits and fish.

cut a whole round into 1/4 - 1/2 inch steaks with just a knife

filet fish, mangos

chuckled at this. same.

this. All those onion, celery, and carrot will get you to feel the knife instead of use it.