Bad cooking lessons

Has anyone ever passed some inaccurate information onto you? My father used to work in a factory before becoming a stay at home dad because my mother had a substantially better job.

This of course meant that he learned how to do most of the cooking by himself, two of the biggest bits of misinformation he told me were
>When you cook spaghetti you need to add oil, otherwise it will all stick together
This is bullshit since you can just rinse the starch off, but he's adamant that I'm full of shit.
>To bread chicken or onions you just need to slather on some egg and then shake on some flour
For years I could never understand why my fried chicken tasted like shit, I never knew you needed to add milk for a good coating

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZJy1ajvMU1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you're both dumb as shit, spaghetti doesn't stick together if it's oiled or not. try stirring it occasionally...

no comment on the frying part, just get the fuck off of ck.

>lost.jpg

Stopped reading there. Go back to your containment board.

>you need to rinse the starch off of spaghetti to stop it sticking
This is hardly ever a problem and only stops the delicious sauce from adhering.
>fried chicken tastes nice without breadcrumbs
I was told you could just use flour.

I don't remember which asshole told me these things, but I want to murder them.

Shhhhhh, hush now sweet summer child

Here you go, stupidity at its finest. Was considering buying a freeze dryer since i have a load of extra food each week from my job. Ask my boss his opinion and he tells me to "just freeze it" that it is the same thing. Fucking autistic child.

your dad is right about fried chicken. milk adds too much moisture and therefore steam, it causes the breading to be more likely to drip right off.

ATK had a segment on oil in spaghetti water. The conclusion of their testing went like this: "We made hundreds of batches of spaghetti, adding water with different methods, in different amounts, and at different points in the cooking, and we've concluded that there's no evidence that adding oil to water prevents sticking. Instead, you should add oil to the spaghetti after it's done cooking."
The first fucking thing my mother says is "NUH UH IT IT IT PASSES THROUGH THE OIL FLOATING ON THE WATER"
This is why I don't let her fucking cook anymore. Old people can't learn new things or accept new information and just dig their heels in.

oh I should also say the constant drinking and falling asleep while she's cooking and the one time she didn't set a timer and let a prime rib cook for nearly 8 hours while she took several consecutive naps factors into it too

In two weeks i fininsh cooking school.

Most of the recipes our teacher gives us are poor and basic...even the teacehr admited that he doesnt want to tell us any secret...

my mother is convinced adding salt and pepper to meat before you cook it draws out the juices and makes it dry

tfw no maillard reactions for the first 18 years of my life

What does maillard have to do with saltting the meat after or before?

salting it helps bring proteins to the surface

I mean I guess I should have said she was coming short of her crust potential instead, not that it was non existant

>salting it helps bring proteins to the surface

no, salting it modifies protein structure at the surface. bring proteins to the surface of a piece of meat, think about what you say before typing and hitting post please

thats not what alton told me :P

>taste of the sauce is in the oil

Not a lesson, but my father-in-law makes exceptionally shitty spahetti. I couldn't figure it out unti I saw him rinse the spaghetti in cold water after it was done

It depends on the kind of fry you're going for, numb nuts.

I'm not quite an expert on this subject, but I would think that because of the salt absorbing water on the surface, protein would actually become closer to the surface.

The best fried chicken uses only flour, buttermilk, and spices. You don't even need egg.

>flout, buttermilk, and spices
Wouldn't you also need some chicken?

50/50 flour, cornmeal and a pinch of 'cajun' and a pinch of salt

user what do you think the surface is

please think. please.

>fw based god puts oil in the spaghetti
>tfw I don't know if I can respect him still

6:20
youtube.com/watch?v=ZJy1ajvMU1k

yeah if you're a carnist shitlord

>boiling eggs
>le "let the water heat up to boiling, then immediately turn the heat off and let them cool back down" meme

This has NEVER been long enough to cook them properly. It makes peeling the shell off sucking impossible. I'll add five minutes to the boiling time and "sacrifice" the egg's roundness and color a little thanks.