Espresso/Coffee general

/ecg/- what's Veeky Forums pulling tonight?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UqmBzqwcshM
m.imgur.com/MfC5nVR,CYC9Ear,HuzlFAn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm just enjoying some instant coffee right now. Sadly, I'm out of everything and must wait until tuesday to go shopping.

Honestly?

Kirkland's (Costco) Supremo bean Colombian.

I like it.

>Espresso ruined with milk

Fuck off, that shit is disgusting

Burundi Butaganzwa Kayanza from Sump. Only been using the new CT1 this week, I should probably mix in some brewed here and there, but pulling shots with it has been quite enjoyable.

Hey guys, what's the best coffee I can get at Publix? I can eyeball the cans and the prices, but most of the time the increased price seems to be for the intricate bullshit they decorate the cans with. Is there a great coffee for a good price, or do they all waste money on their cans?

Bustello and Pilon are pretty good

Thanks, I will give them a try.

>tfw don't have the disposable income to get an espresso machine
>just buy espressos at local cafe

You're inviting some smart-ass to explain to you how you'd be saving money in the long run by investing in an espresso machine

What I've done is start a bit simpler. I got a nice good grinder that can do espresso too, but i only got a French press so far. Which is nice, because I haven't tried French press in a long time. I'll get a bialetti next I think

But yea, the grinder is often times more important than the espresso machine (unless you want a full auto machine)

Also
drinking at the local cafe can be infinitely more comfy at times

OP here, I bought my Espresso machine at a thrift store for 7 bucks, pic is my OC which is semi shit

>saving money
But you will! All I had to do was buy a $1200 digitally controlled drum roaster, a $7,000 espresso machine, a $3,000 grinder, and also throw out about 30% of my grind because I'm only making 12 espressos a week and I literally have to recalibrate my grind autistically before every single shot. Also every time I try new beans I waste about 1/4 of the bag dialing in my roast but it's totally a money saver! Economies of scale are a jewish hoax!

t. average internet hobbyist

>what's Veeky Forums pulling tonight?
Besides my dick? Nothing.

kekle

>dialing in
Sad to realize, but by now, this triggers me
>I've watched too many bullshit videos about this stuff
>I hate myself

Also, you forgot to mention anything about your precision clock and scale which you use to get the extraction times >just right

>Making fun of the Audiophiles of food

Water

canned coffee!
youtube.com/watch?v=UqmBzqwcshM

Detroit bold american coffee, I like espresso but most of the time I want something I can drink for awhile

Drinking Panera Columbian coffee from a keurig. It's good, and its probably the best coffee I've had, but not by much. I think the keurig is a meme, and a waste of money.

But i bought it, so I have to live the life of a pretentious slut now.

>pretentious
>keurig
montoya.jpg

I've spent my whole life drinking coffee from the same coffee maker and pot that I cook my cup o noodles in.

Yes, I think spending 120 bucks on a machine that makes one cup at a time is pretentious, especially when I can get a coffee maker for 10 bucks that can essentially replace my microwave.

Holy god, is that what they cost? I've had the coffee that they shit out at offices, it's awful. I assume the cost comes from office managers who just sign the form because it's not coming out of their wallet.

I use a cone that I manually pour hot water into, and I am judging you so hard right now.

They have the smaller keurig for 60, but I bought the bigger one for my to-go mug.

And you judge me for the things I buy, but not for cooking food in a coffee pot?

This is a pretty cool place.

Some of us just enjoy it and aren't in it to save money at all. Even if my setup is mid 4 digits, it's for a hobby. Hobbies aren't there to save money.

Although I'd say only maybe 5% of any given bag of beans is wasted for me.

take pictures of you're art right now

I cant find this shit anywhere where do i buy it

Art? I don't do latte art. Straight shots only.

My dick.

got this at my local asian market

I made some cold brew. 2nd time trying it today and its really good. Gonna try it hot tomorrow.

Yea people here have the right set of morals

Care to let us know what your setup is/pics?

Yeah dude, what kind of setup do you have, and how much counter space does it take up?

Live in Ithaca.
Gimme.

Don't know if it counts but I've been eating these. They taste like if you added a little bit of sugar and creamer.

Streitman CT1 espresso machine
Bunn G1 grinder with Ditting burrs (though this is getting upgraded soon)
Roastbee roaster

A few vintage levers too (Caravel, Pavoni, Peppina), and a couple other grinders I'm in the process of selling before I upgrade the main grinder to an eg1 or something.

Then lots of drip coffee stuff, but that's mostly various brewers and a few brewing tools.

Doesn't take up counter space since it has it's own table and some display shelves for the not actively used stuff.

Visited Ithaca a week ago. Nice place. Gimme is really good too.

Went to hella wineries and Ithaca beer co. For their tour. Tried their current experimental brew, it was Brett as fuck. Literally tastes like salami beer. Everything else was good though. Including the beer they make with Gimme coffee.

Out of the E.U

Well, I still wouldn't have space for a separate table just for that stuff. Looks nice tho!

What's that mentally container under the grinder? I've seen it before in some pic once but cant imagine what it's used for

The lever machine looks really cool but I couldn't be bothered to put that much work in my coffee in the morning. I have a manual grinder that I like so that's enough labor for me

What do you do if you want to make some cappuccinos or something with milk?

if i try to drink my espresso very fast (like vodka shots), will this affect my teeth just like drinking coffee more slowly?

Probably

Get an alessi dude.
Just joking, they are so expensive. Bialetti are ok, my gf is Italian and she takes her little moka everywhere. There is no point to this story....maybe try a stainless one?

Metal container is a cocktail shaker for grinding in to.

I think the lever is pretty easy, but I do enjoy the whole process a lot. Unless your manual grinder is a Lido or HG1, the grinding you have to put up with is way way worse than using a lever. I had a porlex for a while and frankly it's a bit god awful.

I never add milk. Maybe something from a cafe once a year or so. I have a La Pavoni off to the side that can steam, but I never use it.

Fuck summer, I really want an iced coffee with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream but don't have the ingredients.

I can't even post in these threads anymore because the Veeky Forums equivalent of elitist audiophiles have taken over.

>enjoy you're coffee

every time

also, I think I could get behind that OP, I'll see if I've got some ice cream

bump for interest

newfag to Veeky Forums, where do people stand on Bialettis and Kimbo coffee, because IMHO it's god's gift to mankind.

Got an espresso machine last month. So far I have some Sumatran dark roast, Java medium roast and sine and from PR, some assorted Puertorican coffees.

Getting consistent results with this Vs a La Cimbali M21 Jr.

Just terrible portions, you pay almost a dollar for each shot.

Considering getting the y5 milk so then I can pour some regular coffee too take on the go.

>k cups

what a waste

Yeah but how are you going to get perfectly good espresso in a 100 dollar machine + wand

>A beverage traditional consumed with milk is ruined with milk

Let me guess, you think cheese is ruined with aging, too, don't you?

So I was in the coffee region of the Philippines and managed to snag these bad boys while I was up there! I separated the greens according to region or the supplier I got them from! I'm still in the Philippines but, I've got to say that coffee is trending in the right direction over here.

From the looks of it and what the suppliers have told me, the greens are dry-processed (natural) which is pretty weird since I've always thought that most South Asian Coffee countries did washed or semi-washed! But anyway in the event that I have extra to give away, are any serious roasters interested in getting some?

m.imgur.com/MfC5nVR,CYC9Ear,HuzlFAn

>tfw too poor to afford caffé crema

is there any way to get the crema without an expensive machine?

Grinder is a Lido 2! I love this thing so much, it's smooth as hell and it doesn't even take long. Was surprised how sturdy it feels when it arrived, and they even give you a cute little brush and a screwdriver for maintenance

Hotbox whole latta love. So good.

The cold brew and condensed milk out of my fridge.

L I T E R A L L Y made of money

i got some starbucks french vanilla in pic related

you do realise, that that's literally vegetable oil your putting in your coffee?

Nah not really. I've been in most if these threads of the last few months and I think there's only a handful of richfags trying too hard at times

Whatever people choose to drink is fine by me, as long as they do that as a choice. Or at least try different stuff out and find what you like, don't be lazy, y'know

Like saying for example that cappuccino is shit without ever having tried a good one. same for literally any type of coffee

I for example have come to know a bit about gear and preparation and such, but so far I'm still in the dark regarding the actual coffee. What's the difference between the various countries of origin etc. Was at the store the other day and the guy had like 10 different kinds and wasn't really able to tell me why I'd want one from Mexico instead of one from Uganda. "Yea they just have different tastes" well gee thanks man

Banged out 4 macchiato americanos or whatever the fuck you call an americano espresso with a splash of milk. Used a LAVAZZA ESPRESSO POINT machine, cause I'm a lazy ass and it's ok.

Nice. Really liked my Lido 3. Pretty quick, and I'd still be using it now if I didn't like the results from the bulk grinder burrs better. Hand grinding is nice with a good grinder.

I guess anyone with a hobby is rich then. It's expensive, but as far as hobbies go it's really not that far out there.

>mfw I brew tea with my espresso machine
Hey if there are tea Kcups why can't I do it?

How does it taste?

I'm not a tea autist so it tastes just a bit weaker than normal.

I think you'll find its pronounced 'expresso'

Should I get a stainless steel or aluminum moka pot?

I'm in the store as we speak, need an answer soon.

Stainless.

Are you supposed to drink moka pot coffee straight or are you supposed to dilute it with milk?

Because this shit barely fills half a mug.

>m.imgur.com/MfC5nVR,CYC9Ear,HuzlFAn
Looks pretty defected.

>americano espresso
wut

Most people pour it over their 'go 'za so it soaks into the crust.

He most likely meant an americano, as in an espresso over which he adds water.

Moka makes a very strong brew, so most people add milk as far as I know. Just be yourself.

Is there *any* fruit that tasted good with coffee?

I drink straight from my 3-cup moka pot. Kinda getting concerned about my health but it's just really good.
You can probably get away with just adding boiled water if you like your coffee black.

Cherries.

thankx mate gonna try that next time I have cherries

I received an Aeropress and a French Press for my birthday a few months ago.

After watching numerous videos and getting some advice from locals, the Keurig has gone into a cupboard.

I get my beans from a local roaster and usually have aeropress if I just want a cup, I'll use the French Press when I have company.

Coffee tastes so much fucking better, I can't wait to try a Chemex.

Grinder or pre-ground?

Seconding this. It really does go well.

Hey /ecg/, I was thinking. When I grind beans, there's always a lot of fine silt left behind, no matter how coarse my grinder is set. I'm guessing this is from the dried out beans "shattering" in the grinder mostly.

Would it help reduce silt if I lightly steamed my beans for 30 seconds before grinding? Is this technique well known?

Is roasting at home a meme?

Kys :^)

No, people have been roasting at home for literally L I T E R A L L Y centuries. Roasting green coffee yourself means massive savings if you are drinking a cup a day or more a day. It's just a matter of being willing to put in the money for a decent roaster, and not literally doing it at home, indoors.

I tried watering down espresso to make iced coffee but it tastes lacking, even with half and half.

Maybe I didn't add enough sugar.

What's a good creamer? I'm trying half and half right now but it oddly has a sweet taste to it I don't like. I like hazelnut, but I can't find a good creamer that provides the hazelnut taste without it being too sweet.

Actual cream.

If you like hazelnuts, have you considered using actual hazelnuts? Not some bullshit artificial hazelnut-flavored product. Get an actual hazelnut and grate it over your coffee with a microplane.

Bought some beans from a local roaster and I'm making cold brew with them now in my French press, pretty excited desu

I'll definitely give that a try. Any cream recommendations?

>willing to put in the money for a decent roaster
what do you rec?
whenever I roasted I'd just do it with a popcorn machine, but they tend to burn out and aren't very precise

Out of beans rn but I usually use an Aeropress.

14 grams of coffee, add 50 ml of water 30 seconds then stir and fill to the top. Cap on and press at 2 minutes.

I have a decent Porlex grinder that I was gifted, I'd really like a good grinder but for now this one will do.

>mfw bought a truck and getting my license back so I can go to local roasters now

I've heard about wrapping duct tape around the exterior burr so it moves less when you are grinding. Has anyone tried this out?

>14g of coffee in 50ml
That's some pretty string stuff there user

When I did French press I used that much coffee with like 300ml water haha

Oh sorry, I just said fill to the top. I think its pretty much 200ml total at that point. Strong but not 'that' strong. My b