Do you prefer gas or induction? Give some tips/stories on induction cooking

Do you prefer gas or induction? Give some tips/stories on induction cooking.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/H2dxbMtrgms
youtube.com/watch?v=dacbD3ZECjU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I prefer electric (ceramic) because gas looks like third world unless it's in a restaurant and I've never tried induction

Eh, guess it's what's your used to... but I've cooked on both, I just had plumbing added so I could get rid of the induction and get a new gas cooktop.. much better temperature control....

>looks over function
>i like having my shit burnt and needing to be cleaned all the time vs an antiquated looking traditional machine that will make me a master

How so?

Gas is the only answer. Instant heat control, higher heat capabilities, generally cheaper to run, and have a much better broiler in the oven.

Enjoy your gas leaks

Every thing in the world requires maintenance, you can easily smell if you have a gas leak. Haven't had any in over a decade of having my stove.

That and, you know, it's just a better for cooking with.

All wrong. Except for the broiler. I have no info on that.

>achtually
Yes, a HIGH END induction technically beats gas, but try moving a pot to another burner without letting it warm up, holding it up over the burner to still give it heat but less, or any other functions that direct heat does over induction cooking. Not to mention things like warming tortillas or roasting peppers on the bare stovetop.

It's just a more versatile platform.

All nonsense. Except for roasting peppers. Which you can just put in the oven.

>all wrong
>all nonsense

Nice arguments, friend.

I don't have time to educate people on the interweb. Do a search if you want.

>I don't have to make an argument, use the internet

Great non-sequitor to my enumerated concrete arguments my main man.

My parents house has a range that has both induction and gas. I think they both have their uses. My favorite frying pans are the Calphalon Williams-Sonoma aluminum nonstick pans (weighs 3x more than the cheap Ikea types and the nonstick teflon lasts 100x longer) and they only work with gas.

For boiling they use the cheap Ikea pots made of magnetic steel and the induction plates. They boil water over twice as fast as gas in my estimation. And the induction is ideal for deep frying, because you can set an exact temperature on stove and it will maintain it with precision. Can't get that on gas or electric heat for obvious reasons.

At my place I use shit electric coils, because I rent a shitty apartment.

Gas is instant temperature control. If you have ever used it you can't deny that.

Depending on where you are the cost is also a factor. Here it is cheaper because electricity is expensive.

Gas leaks are uncommon and if you allow them to arise the parts may be there depending on your locale.

For me going from gas to a units electric coil stove was a night mare. It was like I was a babby again and it took me a couple of days to get into the flow but even after that I still didnt feel comfortable.

Though I understand that if I didn't grow up with gas I might also be afraid in the same way I would be afraid of stepping into a racing car if I have only ever driven 1.0l European shitboxes.

Hell I even prefer firewood or coal over electric heating as well.

Electric coil =/= induction.
youtu.be/H2dxbMtrgms
>arguments
If you were well aware of induction's benefit over gas yet still prefer gas for some reason then I would love to hear your story as I am planning to move to induction soon.

However it is clear that you have not an idea what you're talking about. Why you feel the need to chime in on something you don't understand is a mystery to me.

But you do have time to shipost?

I already listed six-plus aspects you dumb nigger. Saying "Oh, you just don't understand, you're just ign'ant" makes you a fingers-in-ears retard.

>I already listed six-plus aspects
They don't count because they're all wrong.
>fingers in ears retard
Ironic.

Yep, the guy who doesn't post any refutations other than saying "no, ur rong" wins. You should join a debate club, congrats, my friend!

I prefer gas because I use my wok a lot.
And if you dare try cooking anything in a wok without flame, you're retarded and should have your hands removed.

Gas has been, and always will be the superior method. instead of heating the thing to heat the thing to cook with, you just heat the thing to cook with.

it makes everything better on every level. speed mostly.

electric coil is induction, only because it's heating the thing that's heating the thing, that's what induction is. the glass top vs coil isn't much of a difference, unless you're talking about convection?!?!?!

Gas is way cheaper than electricity here and the heat is very responsive. I've never tried induction but those old electric coil and ceramic things take too long to heat up and cool down

AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIAM FOR DAT

You people obviously have no idea what induction is. Read up about it first before replying.

there is only 2 types of heating in the universe. induction and convection.

Induction is cool and l, but I like to be able to lift the pan for quick and direct heat control, which can only be done with a flame.

i switched from gas to induction.
very similar experience. But you need enough power, make sure you have at least 1 "burner" with more than 3.0 kWatt

cleaning is easy af. I will never go back

>electric coil and ceramic things take too long to heat up and cool down
induction doesn't have that problem. it is about as responsive as gas

Gas >>>>>>>>>>>>> cooking using the sun >>>>> induction

I HATE induction, urgh! Its for people who dislike cooking, and just wants to squander money on a kitchen they can show off to their friends.

Gas is for people who enjoy cooking.

>I like to be able to lift the pan for quick and direct heat control
Do you mean like when stir frying? There are induction stove that will stay on for a few seconds after lifting your pan.

You should tell all those restaurants in Europe that's been using induction for decades that they hate cooking and got those cooktops just to show off.

How long have you had it? I heard many of them fail after 5 or 6 years and need fixing.

what bout radiation

nice b8

I don't know if one could even pretend to be this retarded.

I know induction is meant to be awesome but electricity is not cheap here and gas is cheap as fuck so I've never invested the time or money into looking into it when gas does the job perfectly

4 years, with a 10 year warrantee

>gas is cheap as fuck
That depends on where you live tho

That's why I said that gas is cheap as fuck where I live, retard

If I lived somewhere gas was expensive and induction was worthwhile I would use it, but I don't

I think half the people in here are confusing electric coils with induction.

I have high end induction and it boils a big pot of water in around 5 seconds, I have complete temperature control and I can leave stuff simmering without being in the room. That all being said I prefer gas because you can do stuff with the naked flame and I like putting pans straight from the stove to the oven.

I think induction and gas are a matter of personal preference and electric coil is fucking terrible. I have a farmhouse with electric coil and I hardly cook anything on it because it takes so long, mainly use outdoor propane bbq if I can.

Why can't you put your pans straight to the oven with induction?

Once our power grid is scaled up to deal with electric cars induction might become interesting. A 20 kW hob would be good enough to compete.

Gas
Never tried induction but fuck electric.

Ignoring the lack of power induction has faster heat control, it generates heat through the thickness of the pan rather than at the surface.

>much better temperature control....
Yeah ok. "Much better"?

Fucking christ, the delusion is real. The only difference I have experience with gas and electric is gas is a little quicker to heat up. But that's probably because I have only used shit electric stoves and the gas stoves I have used have been pretty fuckin elaborate. When it comes to "controlling the temperature" there is no difference at fucking all unless you're using a broken electric stove. Their both analog and neither have wild variations from what setting you put them on.

The only reason you might choose gas over induction is if you regularly flambé, otherwise induction is better just cus its faster.

desu I don't know if you can or can't but they were expensive as fuck and im sure as hell not risking it when I can just transfer them to a hot baking tray

Haha I see.

Does anyone have experience with those full surface induction? Are they actually better than the regular kind? I understand with the full surface you can put pots/pans of any size on there which is pretty nice, but I think they only let you put 4 on at 1 time max which is pretty disappointing.

Why can't you flambe with induction?

4 is ok. But what about varying tempurature?

Doesn't make sense to cook 4 different things at the same tempurature because most items require varying tempuratures.

Like when you put your curry on the tiny back burner to let it simmer while you start up your rice.

While we can all argue about best and the most efficient.

If you live in a cold country pic related is the comfiest way to cook

You can set temp/timer for each one. It even recognises when you move your pan to a different spot and move the settings with it. Pretty amazing.
Haha it's very hot where I am so induction is the logical choice.

you can't make good stir fry without gas. Simple things like boiling water is also faster on a GOOD, high BTU gas stove.

People saying electric probably grew up in EUistan or a shitty apartment where gas might kill tons of people. Americans and asians are more accustomed to gas because americans tend to live in the suburbs (kill only 1 family if something goes wrong) and gas is obscenely cheap in america. Asian food pretty much must be cooked with a gas flame and they never gave a thought about safety.

Here in coastal Texas, you'd be an idiot to not use a gas stove. We get storms and hurricanes all the time and we've gone up to two weeks without power. Having a gas stove to cook food/heat water/ provide some light in the the kitchen is a life saver.

Furthermore you can do more stuff with a gas stove like blacken vegetables over a direct fire without firing up the grill.

That's not true. When you turn the electric stove off its still hot until it cools off. With induction its quicker because the stove itself didn't actually get hot besides the pan heating it up passively. But with gas i would imagine you have neither of the two. Because there is air between the stove and the pan. The only thing that can store energy and fuck up your temperature control is the the little grill thing you place the pan on. But i don't think that has a big effect, no real surface to transport much heat and all.

>you can't make good stir fry without gas. Simple things like boiling water is also faster on a GOOD, high BTU gas stove.
youtu.be/H2dxbMtrgms

So you are saying if you own a deepfrier theres no reason for induction

A famous person once said
>to bait or not to bait
Or something like this

nice bait
induction is god tier.
Gas is shit.

induction is more instant than gas fgt

if you actually use teflon pans you should stop talking

gas is less responsive than induction.

Wrong. Theren is convection, conduction and radiation.

Electric/ceramic works through heating a coil, then conducting to the pan.

Gaso works through burning gas, then convection of flames/hot air along the pan.

Induction works by creating a current trough a low-resistance circuit. This creates an electric field which is mimicked in the bottom of the pan. This is called induction. The induction causes a current that then heats up the pan because current+resistance=heat.

I use electric and I've never tried induction.

My mother never used gas because she was afraid of a gas leak or of forgetting to turn it off and I guess that fear carried over to me.

High end induction is around 3kW for a large "burner" ... 2 liter of water takes around 300 kJ, assuming you got 60C hot water out of the tap. So at least 100 seconds.

In principle the power falloff of induction isn't that bad. If the control circuitry was smart it could continue to give significant power if you were tossing or tilting it to baste.

There's just not enough people doing shit like that to make it worthwhile unfortunately.

Induction is dumb because it only works with certain pans and pots

I just came to post that those Calphalon pans are god tier and very affordable too

this

Gas gasses them all

We have electricity by burning gas so it's pointless so both are the same

I have two single induction burners I bought online and I love them.

>the good
FAST FAST FAST
You've never seen water boil so fast as it does on an induction burner. I moved and I use the quartz halogen stove they provided, and it takes me much longer to make breakfast than it used to. I've basically given up on making oatmeal before work since I moved here. Come to think of it, I think I'm gonna get one of them out of the closet.

It doesn't heat up the house like other methods do, because it doesn't generate heat; it generates a magnetic field that makes ferrous metals heat up.
Did your pot boil over? No problem; it's not going to burn, because the burner isn't making heat.

>The Not-So-Good
You can only use iron or steel cookware. No aluminum, no copper. Granted, that's not a big deal for me, because my favorite pot and skillet are cast iron.

I haven't used a full-on induction stove, but from my experience with the burners, I would definitely get one if I had the money (since they're a niche product, they're crazzy expensive).

>try moving a pot to another burner without letting it warm up
You don't even know what the fuck induction is.

Check out big brain on Brad. Jesus.

>On a roaring open fire
>In a quiet field on your property
>With the woman you love, a good friend and his girl
>In a safe part of the US
>With a hot cup of hearty soup
>tfw your girl surpises you with homemade bread
>mfw I want that but don't have it.

Do you even deserve it?

>a safe part of the US

>Fought in the army
>Worked hard and saved money
>Married a woman who hates the outdoors and can't cook
>No kids though

Its a fantasy.

Well said mang. Well said.

Why's that?

tl;dr: half of Veeky Forums doesn't know what an induction cooker is

I had a REALLY cheap induction hotplate for a while when I taught in China. I can confirm this stuff, but I'll also say that the shittier induction stuff doesn't heat to a single temperature on lower settings, it has the element (can it be called that?) on and off periodically. It was great for boiling large quantities of liquid, but terrible for pan-frying anything because it would heat up the pan way too much for a few seconds, and then turn off. Not so big a deal if you have another stovetop, but it was my ONLY way to cook stuff up until I got a gas campstove. I brought it back, 'cause it was a nicer one from an import store and I could get the cans of butane just about anywhere.

i always assumed induction stovetops were for poor people

i still kind of associate them with poor people i dunno why

Bit of a surprise. But then not really.

Most restaurants in Europe switched to induction decades ago.

yeah i know but they still seem like a poor people thing to me
i think its just because everyone i knew that had an induction stove growing up was poorer than me so i assumed that meant only poor people have induction stoves

No, they had an electric stove. You are super fucking retarded.

Kek Veeky Forums in a nutshell. I don't know why these people even post here they're so clueless.

I use cast iron, im afraid i would accidentally break an induction cooktop with them.

I was given a NuWave induction cook top, and it works so much better than I thought it would.
And it heats up so fucking fast.

I have used Gas for so long, and understand the heat control so much that its still my preferred method.

But when you just want to cook something extremely quick and be done, I use the induction cook top.

it only works with the good pans. The stainless pans with 3/8th inch thick bottoms ive had for years work great

Gas. You turn it on, its hot. You turn it off, its off.

Unlike my shitty old electric stove.

Read the thread.

>induction cooking

youtube.com/watch?v=dacbD3ZECjU

I prefer my Jews nice and crispy, fuck induction

He's right regardless. Electric is shit. So is induction.

No respectable cook uses an electric stove. Please fuck off.

Go back to your 'go 'za and food gore thread.

>I use cast iron, im afraid i would accidentally break an induction cooktop with them.
Tempered glass is stronger than you think. I've been cooking on glass for a few years now: first on induction, now on quartz halogen, and it's fine. Cleanup is a dream, too.

>gas leak
Never had one.
And also gas cost almost nothing in my country

There is a troubling amount of people ITT who don't understand that induction and electric stoves are not the same at all. Not even close.

Supposed to be a cooking board