Ancient recipes thread

Post recipes from antiquity (Roman, Greek, Egyptian etc.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GsyjNef2ydQ
youtube.com/watch?v=f55ZjXt7rrc
healthyfoodietravels.net/?p=1370
gutenberg.org/ebooks/29728
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WE

Bread, but make it really shitty and mealy.

I try that with 100% whole grain sourdough, but it's never shitty enough. How can I make it more authentic?

>one whole sheep
>marinate in garum and thyme
>grill on skewers with liberal amounts of sage
>sage goes in all fields

youtu.be/GsyjNef2ydQ

Not ancient, but neat.

What about medieval cookery? A while ago someone posted a book of almond milk recipes from the middle ages, but I haven't been able to find it again.

I imagine Garum while being nutrient, would smell like rotting fish. I was wondering if Indochinese fish sauce could be used as a substitute for Garum? Not that i'll eat an entire sheep though.

There's a village somewhere in Italy that sells garam that's pretty identical to the ancient recipe.

Throw in some sand like the Egyptians did. Good for your teeth :^)

CHICKEN SOUR PULLUM OXYZOMUM

A GOOD-SIZED GLASS OF OIL, A SMALLER GLASS OF GARUM, AND THE SMALLEST MEASURE OF VINEGAR, 6 SCRUPLES OF PEPPER, PARSLEY AND A BUNCH OF LEEKS.

Anyone have youtube channels of people cooking old ass recipes?

Fucking good idea for a thread user.

What a fucking dumb idea

I use Garum in some recipes, especially in recipes with meat, in the form of Oenogarum, with clear Thai fishsauce as a Garum replacement and sweet white Sherry as replacement for the Straw-wine.

Ful Medames may be the oldest recipe in existence. Basically just mashed beans with oil, lemonjuice and spices, eaten with bread. Dynastic Egyptian.

There were probably different versions as it was made all over the empire with different fish and techniques. They sometimes used to ferment fish blood as well, which is not the case with SE Asian sauces. There is one antique description which says the good qualities are translucent golden, so some people assume the Thai clear fishsauces come close to some types of Roman Garum.

I fucking love this channel I want to try making the mushroom ketchup with the leftover dried mushroom flakes

Ash cake recipe. This is from a 18th century cooking channel, but it's literally a fireplace, water and flour, I guess this is actually prehistoric.
youtube.com/watch?v=f55ZjXt7rrc

Someone asked about this some time ago.. aaand I still have the bookmark

Roman recipes:
healthyfoodietravels.net/?p=1370

this guy

By the way, there's a translation of Apicius' "De re coquinaria" on Gutenberg:
gutenberg.org/ebooks/29728

WUZ