Home Canning General

Haven't made a thread yet this summer.

What have you guys been up to?

Just finished processing 2 crates of strawberries (4kg)... Will be posting images as I get them out of my camera.

Other urls found in this thread:

pomonapectin.com/faq/my-jam-has-separated-i-have-all-the-pulp-at-the-top-of-the-jar-and-juice-underneath-what-did-i-do-wrong-and-how-can-i-fix-it/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Made 3 types of jam...

from left to right :
>Strawberry jam (nothing fancier then some lemon zest in it)
>Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
>Strawberry & Lavender jam

We also did a couple of pies while we were at it..

Strawberry rhubarb in the foreground, plain strawberry in the background.

Only took cook-along pics for the Strawberyy rhubard jam (I've posted the other two in the past however. I could dig out the pics if anyone wants them).

Step one :
Quarter 670g strawberries in a bowl.
Roughly chop 1.2 kg rhubard and add to the bowl.
Remove the core from one green apple, chop roughly and add to the bowl.

2. Thrown 1/2 a vanilla bean into the bowl.
Add 5 cups of sugar.
Remind yourself how terribly unhealthy jam is, as an item.

3. Stir to coat everything with the sugar.

4. Add 2/3 cup lemon juice. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Then cover and allow to macerate for a minimum of 30 minutes (or until you're done with the other jams/pie fillings/stuff).

5. The sugar will draw out a lot of liquid as it sits there. This was after a couple of hours?

6. Pour into a large pot. And apparently, sneeze as you're taking a picture.

I'm missing a few steps here, but basically, bring to a boil, stirring almost always (it will foam up like crazy) then lower the heat and simmer until the berries and the rhubarb fall apart. The apples will need to either be squeezed against the sides of the pot or take an immersion blender to them to get them to fully break down.

7. After a while it will start to thicken nicely into jam.

8. Yields 8 half-pints.

Process for 10 minutes, leaving a 1/4" head space.

This looks really good! Especially that Strawberry Lavender jam; individually they're great but together I bet it's spectacular.

Nicely done :)

The Strawberry lavender jam is this recipe.

I like it a lot, some people really don't like it (depending on the fruits and cider used it can fall into either "too sweet" or "too acid" range)

Nice! I know what I'm going to be doing soon. Thanks.

You're welcome! Post results when you try it :)

Bump.

I will take "Things that shows I didn't check the poster count" for a 100$ Alex.

Though seriously, why shipost on a content thread?

Get your hipster drinking glasses out of here.

looks like it could probably use some pectin or something

When I took the pictures the berries were from the supermarket and under ripe.

Made with in season fruits it sets up fine with just the pectin from the berries... I can take a picture of this year's batch if you want?

nah i believe u. still looks v tasty

It is. Thanks :)

I got 13 pounds of strawberries sitting in my kitchen that I picked this morning. I'm going to try my hand at jam for the first time. I'll be making strawberry and strawberry rhubarb. I'm using Pomona's pectin so they'll be low sugar.

I'm excited to see how it comes out but it has got to wait until tomorrow because I have an assignment due at midnight.

Looking forward to seeing the results :)

bumping so this doesn't hit the archives

Thanks!

Green mango

Dice, dry under the sun rubbed with salt, then place in a salt water mix.

What do you eat it with?

It's a pretty damn good snack on its own, but you can throw it on the side with any curry/rice combo easily.

It only needs to stay in the jar for about a week and it's ready to eat, too.

If you can find green mangos I would recommend it.

Made two batches of strawberry and two batches of strawberry rhubarb.

Ended up with 20 8-oz jars, with maybe 4 pounds of berries left over. I didn't think I'd have enough for 15 jars.

Can't believe how smoothly things went, jars are still hot but I'm hopeful they all sealed. Jam tasted great and it looks like it all setup. I've never had low sugar before, really like it. The natural taste of the fruit really comes through

Dessert with some of the leftover berries

Close up of the jar content?

Went to take a picture and realized I got something called fruit float. I'm bummed out about it. The two batches of strawberry rhubarb should be warm enough to fix. Oh well, lesson learned.

pomonapectin.com/faq/my-jam-has-separated-i-have-all-the-pulp-at-the-top-of-the-jar-and-juice-underneath-what-did-i-do-wrong-and-how-can-i-fix-it/

Canned tuna with grandma. Tastes better that the commercial brand ones.

You canned your grandma? Why not cremate? You could even put her in a nice jar.

I just made a whole bunch of hot pepper pickles, as well as pickled vegetables and pickled beans. Had pickled onions but I ate them all.
First time pickling gherkins but it seems to have been very successful. I added a bit too much clove to the spice mix but I'll remember to go easy next time. I only used ten whole cloves.

Pics and recipes?