Favorite wines?

Veeky Forums here. I mostly drink beer but lately have come to really enjoy wine. However, I don't know enough about it to pick wines I'll like. I really enjoy the flavor of red wines, but I don't like the weird bitter aftertaste they leave on my tongue and the back of my throat (not a problem I have with moscato). I also don't want wine that is too sweet, it makes me feel sick.

What wines would you suggest?

Red wines would be hard, as you would normally chose between sweet and the sensation you're describing. I'd go for a dry rosé.

some lighter, less tannic red wines

-pinot noir/burgundy
-gamay/beaujolais-style
-zinfandel
-grenache (or garnacha in spain)/chateauneuf du pape
-some malbecs

lambrusco is a cheap, slightly bubbly, and is good for summer.

avoid bordeaux style, old world syrah, barolo.

Sounds like you'll love barbera

Also sickly sweet is a description of cheap sweet wine, it means the wine didn't have enough of the characteristics that balance out the sugar, such as acidity

Arbor Mist Sangria has the correct flavor wine should have. Not shilling, it's pretty good for a $5 bill, but I wouldn't use it regularly before I would beer.
Yes I am uncultured.

Prosecco

Oh i didn't read you like red wine.Prosecco i white but is really good tho

"the weird bitter aftertaste they leave on my tongue and the back of my throat". That's tanins you're tasting, some people enjoy that (me included) but I can understand not liking it. I'd suggest trying red wines from Chile/south america or Spain they're usually sweeter than more tannic wines like the french ones but still not too sweet.

Also as suggested maybe a rose ? The french Cote d'anjou wine would be quite dry and on the "redder" side while not being too sweet

Italian and French wines are awesome, even the cheapy bottles.

Try these Italian reds from Bolla: Chianti, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Savignon, Bardolino
Whites: Pinot Grigio

I usually drink the Italian stuff, so can't name the French wines, but I've never had a French wine that wasn't enjoyable.

U.S. wines are shit because they taste like you're drinking a fucking oak tree....

ITT: people confusing grape tannins with skin tannins with oak tannins

I guarantee op would have no trouble with a 20 year aged pomerol

Find somewhere locally that does wine tastings, go to a few of them. Try a variety of wines, figure out what styles you like, then buy those types of wine when you go to the store. Try something new every time you go.

Read up about pairing wine with various foods, make a decent dinner and pick a wine to compliment it.

>U.S. wines are shit because they taste like you're drinking a fucking oak tree.
I actually agree with you and I'm American, but you're going to get a lot of butthurt rage from people who don't drink or like wine but saw a wikipedia article about the judgment of paris

Pinot noir and Malbec are great recommendations.

alcohol is a waste of time and money.

>Tips fedora

OP here, I think I'll try rose. Right now I've got a bottle of Prophecy "The Lovers" American red wine and quite like it. I live in a small town so the selection is limited, but there are a lot of wineries in my area. Maybe I'll visit one next weekend.

None of my friends really like wine ("too girly"), so I didn't have anyone to ask. Is it wrong to keep wine in the fridge and drink it chilled? Thanks for all the advice and recommendations so far.

Except you, eat shit.

>garnacha
>less tannic
What garnacha are you drinking? Most of the stuff I see is either stemmy as fuck or blasted with new oak

Also if we're going with "some" of this and that, I'd add mencia and zweigelt, some of the fresher styled wines from those grapes have light easy tannins. Basically the cheaper stuff. I know some folks have tried to make those into "serious age-worthy" wines but I don't see the point.

Red wine serving temperature is around the lower 60s fahrenheit

If you get a wine that you just don't like (bad wine or not to your taste), you can also stick it in the fridge and most likely whatever it is you don't like about it will be suppressed somewhat

If you live with people who don't drink wine, the idea of sticking a bottle of red in the fridge will probably be met with disapproval or horror. Ignore those people because they don't know anything about wine.

Rose and white are usually suposed to be chilled. Red wine should be served between room and basement temperature depending on the wine

Daily reminder not to buy, drink, or tolerate rosé unless it is saignée or skin contact rosé

>skin contact rosé
OP here, what does this mean? Drink it through my skin like a frog?

yes. you just don't get it because you aren't classy enough.

The depth of color of a red wine comes from the length of time spent on skin; the exact length of time is a decision made by the individual wine maker. It's usually measured in days

As a side note most white wine is not left on the skins for any significant length of time, although there exists a somewhat obscure style called "orange wine" which is made in a similar way as red wine, but with white grapes.

In any case rosé wine originally came from wine makers who had red grapes, and wanted to make a really concentrated red wine, so they bled off some of the light juice and saved that to make a "lesser" wine, which is saignée method rosé. There is nothing at all wrong with this unless you have a problem with drinking a "byproduct" in which case you are a bitch and should go fuck yourself

Skin contact is where your entire batch of grapes is slated to become rosé; in such a case you don't leave it on the skins for long (a few hours, just enough to pick up a little pink). This too is completely acceptable.

Finally there is blended rosé which is taking white wine and red wine, and mixing them together. This is an abomination in the eyes of the lord and you must not tolerate it.

It means making rosé through pressing the grapes and having a short maturation period, as opposed to Saignée which means removing part of the must from red wine and making it a rose. As a frenchman I can say Saignée is a shit.

Found the bitch, enjoy having to add russian beet sugar to your grapes because there isn't enough sun

I"ll agree that blending white and red is blasphemy though

Excuse me for wanting properly made wine, you pleb.

Wines get their color from grape skins, cabernet looks like sauvignon Blanc when it's first crushed but gains color from skin contact--many rosés are made with all the "garbage" or low quality juice they can't make into quality red wine and they sluice it off during the first punch over. Rosé that's meant to be rosé is made with higher quality juice but it's color is determined by the length of contact with skins, not the byproducts of crush.

I think I have that right anyway, still learning.

Yeah but that's only like what, 5-8% alcohol?

>properly made wine
cool story pierre

Uncultured swine.

Carlo Rossi
2 Buck Chuck
Arbor Mist
MD 20/20 Blue Raspberry

>hon hon hon, les clients ne sauront jamais ce qu'ils boivent

Je n'y peux rien si tu n'as pas les moyens de te payer du bon vin. On ne peut pas tous se permettre d'avoir bon goût.

>Muslim calling others poor

some countries actually have enough light to not have to worry about that. in fact it's illegal here
can we not? there are two other threads for that at the moment

>Out of arguments, he results to race-baiting
I'm white as can be. Saignee is shit, deal with it. It's shitty byproduct. Can it be decent ? Sure. Is it in the same league as skin contact ? Far from it.

That's not me. That guy probably doesn't even know what saignée is. He's just a /pol/ refugee who wants to shit up every board he visits

this is an american english website designed for english speakers only. you have to go back, mexican.

That explains it. My apologies.
Back to /pol/ with you.

>Is it wrong to keep wine in the fridge and drink it chilled?

Fuck no. You drink it how you enjoy it, and if that means it's cold, than that's what you do.

Warmer temps can bring out the flavor in heavier wines, the same way they do in a beer, so that's why they're served closer to room temp.

You niggers make some good vin.

Even your cheapo table wines were fucking delicious.

Pretty much anything Australian.
Most French wine is garbage, the poor bastards have destroyed most of their wine making regions through years of poor agricultural practice and overuse of chemicals.
oh yeh and dont get me started on those Americans,

So why is it that I can find a couple dozen organic/biodynamic/non-interventionist wines from France at any given store (and I'm thousands of miles from France), but I've never seen any Australian wine proclaiming itself to be particularly free of pesticides or that they don't add SO2 or whatever. I would expect it from a country where I can't find much wine from there - Uruguay or Moldova or something like that. But from the countries that produce vast amounts of wine, I see that hippie stuff only from France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Austria, and the US. Nowhere in South America, and certainly not Australia or NZ.

I seriously hope you're not going to argue that Aussies are especially concerned with purity or quality. Seems like the more important thing is alcohol level and opacity and how brightly colored the animals are on the label. Also having an edgy name that puts American novelty beer to shame.

If you're ever in Oklahoma, try Summerside Vineyard's Raspberry wine. It's a very sweet dessert wine. Blackberry is good, too, but raspberry is better.

Oops. You didn't want sweet. Sorry.

It's a weak 12%.

I've found Croatian wines to be amazing, but they lack brand recognition because they can't really get into the EU market considering France is such a big player.

I've never even seen a croatian wine

>ICE WINE

I enjoy red wines from the Mendoza region

The wines our family produces. End of the story.

is there any good rose?

every now and then on a hot day it looks refreshing and delicious so I buy a bottle. no matter how much I spend it is always a let down.

define "good"

what are you buying and what are you actually expecting

Chateau Ste Michelle Chardonnay

Rose are for heathens

I don't remember, but it was $40 last time (in my local currency). Admittedly I don't know anything at all about it, whereas I have drunk so much red and white wine that I can find something good anywhere.

ok, well, can't help you then
>drinking airline wine
you don't have any room to judge anyone here

I just wanted something dry and tasty with some kind of elusive extra quality that I assume rose would have because of how it looks, but that red/white does not.

I think it might just be a meme wine.

>elusive extra quality
this is meaningless
>but that red/white does not
red and white wine are more common and are available in a much broader range of styles compared to rose. if you are suggesting that either red or white wine can be easily pigeonholed then you probably haven't had enough variety of either. the most popular inexpensive international brands of wine are basically indistinguishable from one another because they're made from the exact same 5 grapes using the exact same winemaking techniques, usually based on bordeaux. you might find something more exciting if you find the right rose, but if the selection in your area is bad enough that you're having trouble finding exciting reds and whites, you're unlikely to find an exciting rose.

Shiraz is bold and with a spicy black pepper flavor. It goes great with MEAT. I love meat. I love shiraz.

That said, don't drink it on a hangover you will fucking puke. beer is best for a hangover.

I'm a poor pleb so I usually go with JTriggs or some cheap local stuff. What's the difference as you get more and more expensive? Is it all subtle bullshit?

access to a wider variety of styles. in order to take advantage you need some education in wine (this can be self-directed but you need to be willing to take chances and fail sometimes)

spending more doesn't guarantee quality, in fact spending more without having a clue of what you're doing is a surefire way to make a fool of yourself, and then you're one of those rubes who complains that nice things are a scam.

I see. Interesting interesting...

>Is it all subtle bullshit?

Pretty much.