Curing egg yolks/ Curing general

Cured egg yolks:

I want to do this- who has done it? Is it worth it? Do you have any tips? What salt/sugar ratio do you use? (I'm just using regular eggs)
Hopefully will document progress (though apparently it is supposed to take 1-3 weeks??)

Also, curing general (also curious about salmon but even more nervous about that!!)

Other urls found in this thread:

bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/cured-egg-yolk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>curing your own egg yolks

mah nigga. well worth it, especially after you get your first few batches out of the way and start exploring more exotic cures. I grate that shit on anything, its even better than parm in some applications. you can use them to trick classy white bitches into thinking you're not a complete fuckup, too.

is this the new mee-mee?

what's it used for? what do you put it on? what's it taste like?

and tips
>move the yolks to a fresh cure on day 3, speeds up dehydration dramatically
>I like 60/40 salt/sugar

I think one of the Veeky Forums challenge people got the whole process to fit in a week by changing the cure every day and keeping them uncovered with a fan blowing over them

this will be the new truffle. non-creative chefs that want to have a fine dining restaurant will start putting this in half of their dishes they way they do with truffles now.

they look like candy, but I think I would regret eating an entire one of those like it's candy.

I am not sure, it sounds like it has meemee potential, but I have a dozen eggs burning a hole in my kitchen and it's cheaper than parmesan...

looks beautiful on a bandana thank you

a half pound block of parmesan is like $4 here in trump country upstate ny. is that really something you dont want to afford?

No, really, what the fuck is the point of this? What do you even use it for? Is it a garnish? Is it for desserts? I'm at a loss as to why one would do this.

It's a garnish. You grate it onto things. Pasta especially.

it's a meme youyou everyoneveryone.

it's for hipsters.

tea towels were $15, bandanas were 50 cents

So, can you add other stuff to this? Like various spices to the curing mix? Would it do anything?

>actually try to discuss cooking methods
>Veeky Forums hurt itself in it's confusion!

here's something for you to munch on while the big kids talk about cooking

stop doing this. it's fucking disgusting.

goza was funny. this is just gross.

curing egg yolks isn't cooking, idiot.

>citation needed

What did you cure them of?

cured eggs aren't food. it's disgusting.

the dumb ass of the month award goes to you.

I don't know about that...

yea you're right, talking about how to prepare one of your ingredients and discussing its applications in your dishes isn't a cooking discussion at all.

kill yourself.

if one of your ingredients is cured egg yolk then you might as well just fuck off. this is the land of the chicago deep dish, not your nasty bullshit that was never intended to be eaten.

oh gee, another fucking 'go 'za retard. I'm so fucking surprised. What an original and thoughtful contribution for our already dying board.

can you even fry and egg? can you make a veloute? can you make ANY sauce without using a can opener? you fucking make me sick. if you wanna talk about pop-tarts and spout stale memes all day, go to /b/ and /s4s/, they can't get enough of that shit.

I said FUCK OFF

nigga pls this isn't your own personal board this is the peoples board get your 'go 'za bullshit out of here and take it back to yo mama lil niglet-o-damus we're here to talk about food and cooking not retardation and autism 'go f'ck 'r 'lf

I've seen this and want to do it. What's with the sugar I've been reading in this thread? I thought it's just salt to dry them out, then put them through the small holes of my box grater as a garnish.

What types of dishes do you use these bad boys in?

Can't you even cure a 'go 'za? It's not that hard desu

using some sugar in the mix helps tone down the saltiness so the creamy/savory notes in the egg come out more.

grate it on whatever. I like it on pastas and on baked potatoes

I've tried it. The yolks came out ludicrously salty. I could hardly taste the yolk flavor over the salt, even when I tried doing a brief cure with a higher sugar ratio. I really wanted to like it, but it didn't work for me.

Making salo and gravlax both went better. Gravlax especially. I make it often.

you use egg in your pizza crust?

Found some dessicated eggs yolks at my sister's house when I went there a while ago. Looked just like this.

She wasn't curing them though, she's just kind of disgusting.

Sugar is also a great antimicrobial / antibacterial thing.

Salmon is very easy, jamie olier, though hes a cunt, has a good one for beetroot cured salmon.
Egg yolks i did multiple times and i prefer it on the sugar heavy side. It takes longer to dry out but its more versatile

can this thread get back on track?

bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/how-to/article/cured-egg-yolk

the issue I have is massaging the salt into the yolk proves problematic.

You can't critisize someone and anime post, it just doesn't work

I've never heard of curing an egg yolk. What's the process? This shit would be awesome on so many things.

Good thread OP. I feel like I'm back on 2012 Veeky Forums

it isn't exactly rocket science user, mix 50/50 salt and sugar together, lay a bed of it down in some tupperware, make indentations and put the yolks in them, cover with the rest of the mix. shove it in the fridge and forget about it for a week. Dust the yolks off, wrap them in cheesecloth, and hang them in the fridge for another week. Then grate some up and throw it all in the trash because you should just use parm instead of taking 2-3 weeks just to eat a meme.

>Then grate some up and throw it all in the trash because you should just use parm instead of taking 2-3 weeks just to eat a meme.
Holy fuck this.

I laughed. Thanks for giving me the run-down. Sometimes I like to work a little and try something different.

I don't know how it is going to taste, but I will let you know whenever it's done. Probably it will taste like egg yolk, but I'm hoping it doesn't just taste like the inside of a boiled egg.

I'm in downstate NY, so it's a bit more than $8 a pound, and I have bought some parmesan to have in my fridge as per your advice, so maybe combining both things will be good too.

Thank you will do the fresh cure thing, except I just tried to put less sugar than salt not measuring out exact ratios.

It is nice to hear that someone thinks it's worth it, most anons seem to think that waiting for something to cure is the worst thing in the world... it doesn't seem like a big deal to me at all. I would love to trick classy white bitches into hanging out with me so fingers crossed.

also here are the eggs so far. There are three yolks in there, put them in yesterday. I'm keeping them covered in the refrigerator. I broke either one or two of the three yolks when i cracked them

Are these things the same as Chinese salted eggs?

cuz those are not bad, just super super fucking salty