How does one acquire a taste for beer...

How does one acquire a taste for beer? I want to being able to casually enjoy them at parties and family gatherings but they all just taste like straight piss to me.

Tell me how to stop being such a pussy, Veeky Forums.

drink more
git gud
do it fagot

Try something other than shitty macro lagers (i.e. bud, coors...), find something you like, drink more of it, and acquire a taste. Most kids don't enjoy the taste of beer the first few times they try it.

Where are you?

In my basement. Where you at?

Drink stout instead. It's tastes much better and you get a meal too.

Actually going to wholly disagree.

Start with one of the macro. They manage to make very mild beers. Eventually you will hate them on your beer path but it is a good stepping stone. Once you find the one you can tolerate drink it in small amounts consistently. Don't be an idiot and drink so much you feel sick, but do understand you gotta acquire the taste first

>my stepping stone beer on my path to alcoholism

Find a local brewery with a tasting room and get some tasters going, m80. It's not usually too expensive, you can usually try about 5-10 beers for under $30 and get a good idea of what kind of beer you like.

Try to sit at the bar and talk to someone behind the counter about your tastes. They'll steer you right most of the time.

Mine was fosters.

OP don't start now. If you don't like it and you are older than 18 just leave that shit right there and drink water.

>muh peer pressure

Beer is piss. Don't force yourself to like it.

Find the man in your family who has a passion for beer and talk to them about it. Usually this is the father, my dad never liked it and was a scotch man so I grew up drinking scotch and whiskey, eventually spoke to a family friend who introduced me.

Try to ease yourself into it and drink because you actually enjoy it, not because you want to drink it in social settings. Beer at parties is usually shit tier big beer like coors light or Budweiser, so stick to shots there when you're just having fun. Try a few general decent widespread beers like Sam Adams, Guinness, etc. and then tell the passionate beer person or Veeky Forums what you like / dislike and get recommendations for even better craft beers in the same realm.

It is an acquired taste, but it's also possible that you just don't prefer it (like my dad) which is totally okay, everyone has a different drink of choice.

Just drink cider instead OP. As common and casual as beer, 100% tastier.

when I started drinking 14 years ago I was just like you, but I grinned and drank it and got a buzz and had fun and didn't feel like such a little pussy anymore, now im proud to say 14 years later I drink 7-9 beers every night and I thoroughly enjoy it

Power through if you're that eager. It's swill for the most part at parties so learn to deal with that. Also got fuck all for alcohol so that's good. Don't get too heavy into shots or mixed drinks unless the person taking care of it makes sure you don't get white girl wasted. Otherwise you'll get excited and pour half a bottle into a solo cup and about 50 mils of soda and end up either vomiting on a cute girl or shoving something up your ass.

But really its beer. Like wine most is fucking swill or plonk and you'll never truly enjoy it unless you learn to accept its gonna be dull.

Scrumpy cider is good.

Some of the "fancier" clear ciders are alright but the basic shit like Strongbow is just fizzy apple drank with alcohol

It's much more difficult to find a decent cider than it is to find a decent beer. Most cider is rubbish, but so are wine coolers and those are also popular with new drinkers...

Any higher tier ciders than the stuff in grocery stores?

I'm thinking of home-brewing for basic cider.

Availability depends on where you live.

I've done a few homebrew ciders that turned out great. I started with unfermented/unpasteurized cider (i.e. spiced, fresh apple juice) from a local apple orchard and added nothing more than some wild honey they sell at the homebrewing store and champagne yeast. The champagne yeast makes it dry and gives it a bunch of tiny bubbles, which I like.

Ease in. Start with milder (but still properly flavorful) beers like hefeweizens and lagers. Then work your way into pales, session IPAs, etc.

I don't mind most beer, most macro brews are so light they go down like nothing.

So I can't help much.

But learn different brews pick some up of different styles and pick a style you liked the most then try different brands in that style.

I like keith's but most IPAs have too many hops for my taste.

Beau's Lug-Tread is really nice and smooth and taste great. it's a lagered ale.

I'm West Coast US-fag, and there isn't really anything more "specialized" than BevMo around me, which is kinda shit for me. My go to meh-tier cider is green apple Angry Orchard. That's fine since I like green apples and all.

That sounds pretty fucking good user-kun. I might have to try that.

first off, stay away from strong ales if you're this much of a pleb
And as you age you will be more receptive to the bitter flavors
I also suggest eating greasy food with it

Wonder why there aren't more ciders. Is it the cost of apples versus hops?

How does RateBeer distinguish between novices and experts? By how many beers they've rated?

ill break the news fagit, if you dont like it dont drink it, theres plenty other stuff to casually drink

not sure, but that's a good guess

I dunno my man, one minute I was a sixteen year old drinking shitty beer because it was cheap and easy to handle while I hated the taste and the next minute I was a seventeen year old drinking shitty beer because it was cheap and it just tasted like slightly flavored water.

Try a bunch of cheap reg beers
Like yeah they initially taste like dirt but when you're comparing dirt with other dirt you'll notice differences and appreciate them

Drink icy cold on a hot af day after work, bonus points for on a relatively empty stomach to feel the buzz

Tfw you love cider but it gives you mas bloated stomach and cramps followed by the worse gas imaginable lol

Allergy, friend. Be wary.
Plus cider does fuck all to get you drunk.

It helps if you like bitter tasting foods.

Personally, I absolutely love beer, but I also like my coffee black, so...

I'm not OP, but I also enjoy drinking my coffee black and I think beer is unpleasant.

All the times I've gotten drunk off of beer I just man up and drink until it tastes like water.

To each his own, I suppose.

Here's a pro tip that my older sister passed to me
You take a case of some shitty macro brew like Coors light or bud light
Stick the case in the fridge but leave one out
Once the beer is cold crack a cold beer and the warm beer you left out
Drink the warm beer and it'll be disgusting
Then relieve that awful taste with the nice cold beer

Do you also happen to be just shy of 30 and doing better than the rest of us?

>but they all just taste like straight piss to me.
Just man up and drink piss for the society and country. Think about it as about duty.

Salty and/or fat food helps, you want to wash it down, beer and them works together.

like everyone has said, grin and bear it.

I love the taste of beer now and actually look forward to drinking it.

This, if you don't like it, don't drink it. No one's going to force it down your throat if you don't want beer.

It is social ritual like shaking ahnds and smiling to people you despise. Disobeying rules may have negative consequences. But drinking beer is not a big deal.

The problem is that the beer you're most likely is drinking IS sort of piss. People drink it to get drunk and pretend that it's good because it makes them feel good. Unless it's freezing cold, macro lager beer more often than not tastes like puke, cheap shitty malt and yeasts. You need to go craft beer then you will realize what good beer is all about.