How does Veeky Forums like their grilled cheese? What kind of cheese and bread do you use?

How does Veeky Forums like their grilled cheese? What kind of cheese and bread do you use?

A young cheddar and smoked Gouda, either on seeded rye, a hearty wheat, or homemade sourdough, toasted in an even layer of either butter or bacon fat.

If you're going to add something like tuna salad to make it a melt, a thick slice of ripe tomato is non-optional.

Grow up, grilled cheese is baby food

>If you're going to add something like tuna salad to make it a melt, a thick slice of ripe tomato is non-optional.
abso-fucking-loutely not, Tuna melts should go pure. Fuck tomatoes on Tuna melts and fuck putting celery in the tuna too. Grapes, pickles and hard boiled eggs are the only acceptable thing to put in a tuna melt.

>go pure
>>except for all this extra shit

pick one.

Grilled cheese wasn't treally a thing here in the UK when I was young. We would put cheese on a single slice of bread and put it under the grill (I think you yanks call it a broiler?). Anyway, I am a convert to the grilled cheese and the absolute best cheese for it is Red Lecister with a bit of black pepper inside simple buttered crusty bread.

Sorry I meant for putting it on the sandwich, just go tuna salad (with whatever you want in it), cheese and bread. Definitely not clear

American on white with mayo, grilled in hot butter delicious

>grapes are okay
>tomato on the sandwich or celery in the salad aren't

I think you've lost the plot, kid.

Enjoy ruining the consistency and flavor of creamy tuna with brittle and bitter celery.
Grapes actually go with the flavor and consistency
Tomato is a personal thing, I like it on burgers BLT (duh) etc but not with tuna. Celery is ungodly.

fuck you celery sounds great with tuna

as long as it's chopped and mixed in

This is a grilled cheese thread, take your tuna melts and shove them up your ass.

Anyone ever try it with pepperjack?

>op thinks he's somehow still in charge of his thread after hitting "post"

The details don't matter, just so long as you follow these rules
>sharp cheese
>thick and dense bread
>butter the shit out of that bread

That's it.
Now you're good.
You can mix it up.

Just so long as it isn't fucking American cheese and white Wonderbread

>Grapes

What the fuck is wrong with you?

>grapes

Crusty sourdough and deli american... not kraft singles, the american in the deli that they slice.

>deli american
That's still shitty processed cheese, same as Kraft

I like grated carrot and onion in the tuna salad when making a melt.

Second, it's actually really good. Diced grapes in chicken/tuna salad on a criossant is god-tier.

If you're still too much of a bitch to try it, sweet pickles serve the same purpose

It's literally just cheese with added emulsifiers so that it stays creamy when melted. It's delicious. Deli American has less additional shelf-stabilizers, etc. that brands like Kraft and Velveeta put in the individually plastic-wrapped "singles"

grapes are for chicken salad not tuna you mongoloid

Whatever Warburtons loaf looked the best in the shop, and Co-Op brand grated cheese. I'm not much of a connoisseur of bread or cheese.

>sweet pickles
>a purpose

Fuck sweet pickles and everyone who enjoys them.

Calm down, you autist.

Fucking SPIDF over here.

I've never eaten sweet pickles, but you're being ridiculous.

>SPIDF

Sweet pickles continued existence is what's ridiculous.

>pre-grated cheese

It is covered in potato starch so is shit for melting.

my stepdad likes sweet pickles

he also puts the toilet paper on wrong

How? It melts onto the bread, what do you mean by "shit for melting"?

Does he also put corn in chili and douse everything in ketchup before even tasting it?

The "no" configuration is superior because cats or what have you cannot pull it all out.
And also you can tear of a square with one hand

It becomes a chalky mass rather than a gooey puddle.

slightly stale thick slices of sourdough bread with sharp cheddar and black pepper on the inside, all cooked in a bit of bacon fat with some grated parmesan cooked into the outside of the bread as it fries. Everyone else is wrong. Also, pic unrelated

What cheese would you recommend? Any block of cheese or is there a specific type you'd recommend?

Why are your cats allowed in the bathroom?

And who just uses a single square ever?

my cat used to follow me in

I let her because she rubbed against my legs while I was sitting on the toilet and it felt nice

Gruyere is great, Cheddar or Red Leicester are good but Red in particular can be a bit greasy and Camembert if you don't mind it squirting every where.

A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire thread consist of "melts". Almost every "grilled cheese" sandwich i see here has other items added to it. The fact that this thread is supposedly about "grilled cheese" is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It's called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don't know what the hell you'd call that but it's not a grilled cheese. I would be more than willing to wager I've eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own thread entitled "melts" because that is not a fucking grilled cheese. I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. Shit, I stopped lurking after 3 years and posted for the sole purpose of replying to this. I've seen post after post of peoples "grilled cheeses" all over Veeky Forums and it's been driving me insane. The moment i saw this thread this evening I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own thread just because I know this one exists now. You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.

Careful, the autists will lose their minds once they realise this is pasta from Reddit.

To each their own, I say, but I’m just shy of 30 and am doing better than most of you.

kinda sounds gay dude but i have no idea why

there is nothing gay about having a fluffy cat brush against your bare legs

>corn in chili
yes, also beans

>ketchup
no but he won't eat vegetables besides corn and potatoes
I know we meme a lot about flyovers being flyovers but the man is the epitome of flyover sensibilities. I like him but when we go to italian restaurants he gets buttered noodles

you're making it even weirder now stop dude

>we meme a lot about flyovers being flyovers

Flyover is probably the only legitimate Veeky Forums meme at the moment. Chicago pizza and e-celebs are just a few people spamming the board and trying to force something dumb. People have been using "flyover" forever on Veeky Forums, but it organically transitioned into a meme.

I'm sorry you've never experienced one of life's greatest pleasures my dude

let us not forget 'WA LA'

That's more become board nomenclature rather than a meme proper, which would involve permutations and expansion as it's thrown around among the hoard.

Yeah, I can't argue with that.

if getting plugged in the ass by a big hairy man is among life's greatest pleasures then count me out

i'm gonna make a tuna melt right now

it sounds pretty damn good

and it's gonna be spicy and garlic as well

Post pics. And don't leave out the tomato slices. And add anchovies while you're at it.

with ham, dipped in kechup

Seeded rye
Mozzarella
Jalapeño slices

Jalapeño popper grillcheese

> Red Lecister with a bit of black pepper inside simple buttered crusty bread

That sounds really fucking good.

>butter bread
>toast in toaster
>slap some cheese between em
>enjoy

They're good in both

Yes!

Terrible post

Mad no one cares about your shitty copypasta?

I usually use Gouda for cheese and Rye Bread covered with poppy seeds and sunflower seeds on the outside. I put it in a pan without butter and don't butter the bread to make sure that the bread doesn't soak up with oil since it spoils the taste of the bread, which is one of the most important part in any sandwich.

Yes, complete cretin

does he make his own seasonings like"...a god damned mental patient"?

Can follow you around? You have the magnetism of a cult leader. I don't want to think anymore; just tell me what to do. I will honor your cheese grilled.

Cheddar and Gouda on sliced seeded Italian, and i put mayo on the outside and grill it like that. If I have tomatoes ill show a few extra thin slices on there too. I also like ham or bacon on it but only when I'm high.

What about goosefat?

ate those growing up here in the U.S.
We called them toasted cheese and they're still pretty good and easier than a grilled cheese

You're not ramsay

If you just want melted cheese, isn't microwaving it faster and easier?

Not him, b ut I'll assume he's mad you post shitty 9gag memes for actual children

- Sharp cheddar cheese, preferably shredded but room temperature slices can work
- Dijon mustard
- Lots of cracked pepper

White bread and american slice usually
Sometimes I take w.e. cheese I got in the fridge and what ever bread and put them in the toaster oven

Honestly I just use whatever's lying around. As someone that's experimented a lot, if it has ever gone well with cheese before somewhere else it probably works here, too.

Sometimes it just ends up being a melt, but usually there is an excess of cheese and not enough leftover sandwich meat.

The most unusual thing I've done that worked out well is use a mix of Brie with cream cheese and jam. Tasted kind of like a strudel.

It usually ends up being something like this:
Some creamy cheese, some zesty/smoked cheese, dijon mustard, with bits of Parmesan on the outside.

As for frying I either use bacon fat, mayo, or butter. I've been curious about using leftover duck fat, but that sounds like overkill.

Ramsay is a hack that only got famous because he yells at people in a humorous manner.

Rye or wholemeal bread, cheese (usually smoked cheddar and a slice of Swiss). I use a stick of butter to essentially fry each side so it's glistening in butter.

Correction: that's only how he got popular in the US

Because I totally give a shit about anything he's done outside the US.

Warning! Warning! Do not attempt this recipe unless you already have heart disease and don't care about dying young.

>take two slices of bread and butter them
>now butter the other side
>that's 4 layers of butter mother fucker
>get your mountain of shredded cheese ready
>fry the slices on a skillet until browned on one side
>flip the slices over, apply cheese to one slice and cover with the second slice so that the browned sides are in
>fry until brown, then flip again (use a second spatula so it doesn't fall apart) and fry the last side
>put the sandwich on a plate, cover it evenly with more cheese, then cover with a piece of parchment paper and a second plate
>hold the plates together, flip the whole thing over so your sandwich is sitting on the cheese which is on the parchment paper
>slide it on the pan and fry while pressing the sandwich down gently so the cheese is fried through the parchment
>when it's done, lift it from the pan onto a plate by grabbing the corners of the parchment
>repeat the process for the second side so you have two layers of fried cheese around the sandwich

ITT: people who don't know the difference between grilling and frying.

Mozzarella on french bread. At least half a stick of butter. Fight me.

Cheese toastie, though. Not quite the same, but definitely a thing.

Why hasn't anyone posted the webm?

Two slices of white bread, buttered. One side with mayo
Three slices Kraft American Cheese™
Put together and fry in pan until golden brown, then cut in half so there are two rectangular slices

Alton Brown did it first

A blend of Gouda and Cheddar
On buttered/toasted sourdough

i use moldy cheese and temerian bread

rate my grilled cheeser

turkey and bacon

>wheat bread
>Mayo instead of butter on the outside of the sandwich
>aged cheddar, maybe one or two tomato slices
>side of tomato soup

Mimolette with a bit of ham, croque monsieur style

That was what the cafeteria always tried to pass off as "grilled cheese".

It's you fuckers' fault. Goddamnit.

>MOZZARELLA

Get a load of this faggot

Shit like this is why your country is breaking up. Hell, your national dish is taken from Indian cuisine.