What was school lunch like for you?

What was school lunch like for you?

I remember I went to an elementary school in an affluent neighborhood. The lunch was incredible. Parents would volunteer to work in the cafeteria. I remember my favorite was spaghetti and meatballs. With incredibly good tasting massive meatballs. This was about 20 years ago. Then I moved to the ghetto and was served slop that looked like the picture until I graduated high school.

I always looked forward to the days we had chicken strips, mashed potatoes, green beans, fruit cocktail and a roll

also I always enjoyed the thanksgiving lunch of turkey and dressing, the dressing was the star of the show

Just decent, not bad

But I liked my elementary school.they let some kids volunteer in the kitchen, and you would get free lunch and out of class for an hour or so! Got my first girlfriend and kitchen experience that way.
Did anyone else have this option?

Always went to private school so food was pretty good. Went out to eat during high school

I also have extremely good memories of my Italian elementary school canteen, although thinking back they didn't really serve anything special (pasta, soup, roast chicken, roast beef, fish fingers or fillet, cheese plus a side of veggies, bread and fruit; SQUARE PIZZAS twice a month).
It may have something to do with the boring chink food I ate at home: my parents were never very creative in the kitchen whereas at school at the very least we were guaranteed a different menu every day.
To this day I am still trying to recreate that delicious minestrone that no other kid seemed to appreciate.

>It may have something to do with the boring chink food I ate at home: my parents were never very creative in the kitchen whereas at school at the very least we were guaranteed a different menu every day.

Same. I grew up with all Asian food at home, so anything served at lunch was amazing and I always looked forward to.

>To this day I am still trying to recreate that delicious minestrone that no other kid seemed to appreciate.

muh minestrone nigga

Lunch at my high school was either some kind of shifty rice/mashed potato bowl with chicken tenders or tacos, burgers, or spaghetti like the pic. It was all crappy so I started bringing my own lunch

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING

My school lunch was always inedible. Meat was something unknown, probably the leftovers or organs of roadkill animals. Everything else was way overcooked without any seasoning

Bad sandwiches erry day.

That's probably the reason why I never eat bread anymore.

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, and a roll was the best day ever. Sure I got insane heart burn, but it was worth it.

We didn't have a cafeteria. You either brought your own lunch, walked around to a restaurant and hoped the service was quick so you didn't get detention for being late, or there was this coffee truck that would come by run by this old dude named Harry, that sold sandwiches that looked and tasted like they'd been there since WW2.

Mediocre. Everything was either too hot or too cold. The milk had chunks of ice in it, the pizza literally tasted like cardboard with ketchup, and the salad was like eating paper, there was no dressing. However, the day-to-day stuff was okay, not too amazing but not really bad either, it could get you by.
My favorite was probably their cheesy potatoes, which was absolutely delicious.

did anyone else have to deal with the hell that they called "italian dunkers"?
i can't remember school lunch so well but it was horrible, pizza every friday, italian dunkers, chicken nuggets, fruit and disgusting milk, always bland starch and no substance

i didn't eat breakfast or lunch when i went to school.

Square pizza, dry hamburgers which got a bath in ketchup, and chocolate milk bags you would bite the corners off of a drink in one full chug.

Never ate it, because I was allergic to eggs and fish and the idea of managing cross-contamination on a daily basis was a bitch.

As an elementary school teacher now, I weep for the children. Public school food was never particularly amazing, but the demands put on by Michelle Obama have made it reach new lows.

I think it really depends on location. Seems like smaller towns/schools have better food since they have less kids to feed. That being said, as a small school we had the typical stuff like hamburgers, "tacos", grilled cheese, chicken nuggets/patties, square pizza and the like. It's been twenty years since I was in school so I imagine the quality has went to hell. They need to overhaul the whole education system including the food. Every breakfast and lunch should be well rounded with plenty of vegetables, fruits, lean meat and dairy. No processed frozen pre-made shit.

This shit? Fucking gross.

yes literally horrible but they served it to us on brownish colored trays so it looked much less offensive. holy shit. fuck school

I attended public school and it was just like OP's pic, but it was way shittier in middle school and elementary i remember

I skipped lunch every single day and read a book in the library instead of dealing with the maddening chaos of 900+ students all crammed into a single lunch hall at the same time.

There were a few days when some fat, angry looking woman teacher on "hall monitor" duty would block my way and try to get me in trouble for leaving the designated eating area during the designated lunch hour. On those days I sat alone in the middle of that churning mass of human screams and plastic pizza and read my book.

>school lunch
I brought a pb&j and some Pringles every day for nine years until I could drive my car off campus and eat at home/friends.

We didn't really have afternoon classes until after primary school, so kids would just bring sandwiches and eat them in the classroom. Later, in high school we sometimes had afternoon classes but no cafeteria. You were allowed to leave school property as 11th grader,but I can't remember what we did before that. Probably just brought something or bought junkfood

fuckin italian dunkers, hell yeah. u gunna eat that?

Kindergarten/1st grade was total shit. I remembered I'd often go without food because I hated their stuff. I remember egg rolls were frequent.

Then I went to private school. There was only hot lunch once a month, and it cost like an extra $40 a month. At first it was cool - McDonalds, Pizza Hut, whatever... then they started to get cheap and had the school's janitor make tacos herself. They were just like ground beef in El Paso taco shells. (She also lived in the school, which was weird.)

Junior high was slightly better - there were more food options, always pizza, and the snack shack had good cookies and chili cheese fries.

High school was okay - the subs came from Port of Subs and were hit or miss, but were a daily meal, really. After my Freshman year, I ate off campus, and then just switched to snacks when they took away open campus.

Dunkaroos and pudding and a bologna sandwich

NO TAKE THEM OR TAKE MY LIFE, EITHER WILL DO.

hamburger line 4 days a week except wed. wed. was pizza day.

i rarely ate lunch. always hung out in the computer lab. was also on the freshman football team. one day, decided to eat. holy shit, at practice i had tons of energy. i was running those gasser sprints like an absolute madman.

who knew that food gave you energy. wild.

I saw a lunch lady sneeze when she was facing the buffet. She didn't even cover her mouth. Sufficed to say, I never ate from the salad bar.

My school in a rural area in the South always had mashed potatoes, fries or hashbrowns. The pizza was always in rectangles. Dessert was shitty cake or cookies. The only time of the year we got a good meal was Thanksgiving: stuffing, turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrot cake. Things could have been worse, but we had plastic trays that had been used since the 80s. Styrofoam is probably more expensive when you think of it.

Bosco sticks were like crack at my school. Kids would deal them out at lunch.

My elementary school had an epidemic of kids who just straight up ate koolaid powder from the satchels, if you got caught with koolaid dust on your hands they'd send you home with a letter

I just stuck to the tried and true raw crushed chicken flavor mr noodles

How are you people still alive

we're actually all skeletons clack clack clack

In high school, Dominoes would deliver empty pizza boxes to our school, and the lunch ladies would fill them with that frozen square-pizza. Never understood the point of that. Morale?

too spooky for me, i'm out of here

holy shit user don't scare me like that

Complete shit every time you know American public schools

They basically will just buy what is not selling in the market and sometimes sour milk

Kids would definitely perform better if they would start actual cooking again, food is everything to encourage good work

What is public schooling even for these days?

Giving easy high school diplomas so that the school will look good when the government hands out checks.

None of the classes have any substance anymore. It's piss easy to graduate. That said, anyone that failed high school must really have fucked up.

But hey, keep cutting art and music classes that actually keep kids engaged. I've seen schools seriously gut their math and science programs too. It's disgusting.

First off we need to improve the food, I know for a fact that kids have trouble eating the shit and so don't have the energy to preform.

Not to mention kids in poor schools rely on school lunch as their only meal of the day. If the food is shit and not nutritious they're not going to have energy for the entire day.

holy fuck these were the fucking best. behind the nachos of course

My high school cafeteria had a deli sandwich line, a pizza line, a burger/chicken sandwich line, a case of fresh made salads, and a line for the daily specials and none of it was that bad desu. The french fries always sucked but everything else was pretty good

>school has bagels and cream cheese
>remove the cream cheese because of some bullshit health initiative
>replace it with peanut butter
FUCK ME

These things were fucking incredible dude.

I was in an affluent area as well. Elementary school was the usual, square pizza, bouncy burgers, etc. Middle school was the same, typical food. My high school was better. They had the usual gov't lunch, but also had the "better" more expensive luches for like twice as much. I think it was $1.85 for gubmint lunch and $4.50 for good stuff. The good stuff was solid, really good chicken tenders with thin fries, lots of salads to choose from with god-tier super processed ranch dressing. I think they had kinda of Moe's make your own burrito sometimes. Shit like that, slightly more food and better tasting.

Also had a dippin dots little station which was a ripoff, but that was the meme at the time.

I would kill for one of those salads with chicken strips and ranch dressing right now. So good.

My school undercooked them.
The taste was reminiscent of a moz cheese stick wrapped in raw white bread with a raw egg wash, dusted with raw flour. Slightly warm.

Absolutely disgusting.
The crusts too, when they switched to stuffed crust pizza. What the fuck, who dusts cooked food with raw flour?

I think you mean delicious.

Just look at these things.
What is so great about raw dough wrapped around greasy cheese?
DISGUSTING

GROSS

I went to a posh as fuck school and surprisingly their lunches were disgusting. It was always either spaghetti bolognese with that horrible orange grease or bland as fuck chicken breasts with practically no seasoning. I had diarrhea almost every day.

I brought my own. at my school the poor kids that got free or discounted meals ate the school food, everyone else either brought their own or just waited until the end of the day.

did life ever get better for you?

i went to a poor catholic middle school whos food was delicious at the time (because we were young and didnt know what food tasted like.) i went to a private high school with pretty decent lunches.

The only time I was ok with religion in my school, was when the school would secretly take part in lent by not giving out meat during lunch, just veggies and fruit.

I loved those things. I didn't want the sauce, just the fucking cheese sticks. They took away our Chic-fil-a but kept the cheese-pizza-sticks. Not too shabby.

Ayyyy I remember this disgusting shit.

Would always top them with spaghetti.

During recess a buddy of mine would have people come up to him and place orders for pizza. At the end of recess he'd call up the pizza joint and order all the pizzas people asked for where they'd get delivered at lunch. I'd say around 30 to 50 people got pizza from him each time he did a run, which was usually three times a week.

He charged $5 per pizza, and made a $1 profit off each one. He did this several times a week for just about all of high school, so he must've made an absolute fortune over the years.

Why are Americans such failures? In the Netherlands, we eat bread for breakfast and lunch, self-made, home-made, bread.
>having to be served by some fat lunchlady
>being to lazy to actually make a meal
>"weeh weehh why isn't everything as perfect as I want it", even though you could actually put some effort into it and make your own meals
faggots.

>americans are such failures
>ironic post on a website made by an american on the internet, made by americans.

>pizza>pizza>pizza>pizza
>pizza>pizza>pizza
>pizza
>pizza>pizza
>pizza
>pizza>pizza>pizza
>hamburger
>pizza
>pizza
>pizza
and you faggots wonder why Americans are so fucking fat.
What the fuck is wrong with you people...

Moot wasn't a failure. The faggots that literally can't even make their own meals though. They're failures.

nobody cares that theyre fat. youre the one with the problem.

THIS

after my mom stopped making breadfast for us kids (my sis was like..7 or smth? I was about 9 or 10) i just stopped

I STILL don't eat breakfast unless theres an exam.

same for lunch. I always sit w/ friends when they have cafeteria lunch and think about what i am going to cook. my kitchen sucks so bad-- no space, electric stove, not even an oven until my friends gifted me a camper oven-- but i still cook everyday. couldn't live without it.

you German by any chance?

No but seriously. You can't seriously consider pizza for lunch healthy, or bought lunch in general...If you know the food's shit, why would you even consider buying it and not just make your own lunch? Fruit, bread with jam, cheese, ham, salami, or pic related? Like...why would you even consider buying shit food if you can make your own lunch?

morale

I did bring my own food. at my school the only ones eating the school food were the people who got free or discounted meals.

they consider pizza healthy because its cheap to make.

>liking that shit
>describing ranch dressing as god-tier

and this is why people don't respect Burgers..

really? is that the only reason?

Hah, get off your high horse faggot. I was 114 or 15, stoned half the time, and constantly hungry from always being out hiking and lacrosse practice every day. Those were good times and the food probably tasted infinitely better because of that. I forgot all foreigners are too good to have guilty pleasures. Buncha fairies, this is 'Murrica damnit!

How much is this discount? Because bread and butter and jam all together shouldn't be too much right? more than 1.85 dollars for a meal per day.

Try to get there before the Samoans got there. Which wasn't hard, but if you did, there wouldn't be any food left. They demolished the cold food trays leaving nothing left. It wasn't uncommon for them to get seconds or thirds.

Samoans, man.

i think the discounted meals were like 25 or 50 cents at my school.

$1.85 was the generic pricing. I think the people with less money got it for $.40 or for free. I forget to be honest. They might have had tiers depending on parent's income, etc.

What kind of elementary school has a cafeteria?

Wouldn't it be far more efficient to either subsidize bread and jam for children and students...forcing them to eat shit meals instead of bread/fruits/whatevs is just sad...

I think in some places, the gym doubled as the cafeteria.

>live in Africa
>go to poor as fuck school
>only school lunches are apples and bananas
>there's only ever enough for like half the kids
>hot dogs for lunch 3 times a year
>everyone looks forward to "hot dog days"
>friends and I start foraging for food
>steal fruit from neighbourhood gardens and find all sorts of wild berries and leaves to eat
>once a week we pool our money together and buy some ramen, fries or chicken strips
>once a year we buy a shitty cake from a local bakery
>2 kids once seriously injured each other over who gets a slice of the cake

Nope, we gotta subsidize corn instead!

ay fuck you bwoy. I could probably smoke your whole clan under the table and STILL cook a meal that would send you straight into a delirium of deliciousness. some of my best dishes I cooked and invented while completely fucked up.

I gotta admit tho my tastes at 14 are nothing I'm proud of. At least I stopped eating at fast food chains (almost completely) after I turned 15.

populists are getting bigger and bigger in europe, too. i'm not THAT hypocritical that i'll critisize america for Trump when hairless monkeys like Farage are super popular.

also, it's been worse. remember the cowboy? yeah, people tend to forget that..

Doesn't sound like much fun dude, sorry to hear that. I would have shared my lunches with you.

Thanks man. I'm rich now but I mostly have fond memories of that time. I mean, we lived like fucking Bear Grylls.

what country, friend? or is this just made up?..

South Africa.
I guess parents could've afforded to give me school lunches but I always avoided asking for fear of money issues and I'd feel bad if I was the only one at school eating.

dude, don't try to tell us what to do over here. watch jamie oliver's food revolution if you want to see what happens.

the government regulates what has to be served at school, it's hard to meet those regulations with the level of funding in our public schools without cutting corners, such as the tomato sauce on your pizza or french fries are considered a serving of vegetables. bureaucracy breeds inefficiency, but it's the system which determines the regulations for school foods.

of course I remember him. he's become a critically acclaimed painter in his post presidency years.

That guy on the right is a fucking unfunny hack

he's not supposed to be. he reads other people's jokes. now he has a show about cars, which is where he really belongs.

He recently crashed a 2500 HP car.

lol, so he is pretty funny then.

No, I mean what kind of elementary school serves meals?

All American public schools.

Mine did, and so did everyone around here

I thought that was made up by Hollywood

Where are you from where this isn't common?