Olive Oil

Olive Oil.

Here in America, half of it is shit. I am not even talking about Extra Virgin, I just mean plain Olive Oil.

Tell me the best in the world, and how to get it.

Other urls found in this thread:

pasolivo.com/
truthinoliveoil.com/
huffingtonpost.com/entry/olive-oil-explainer_us_55b925cce4b0a13f9d1b5143
google.com.mx/search?q=the olive oil scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=s81zV4CUEazI8gfYjwI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy California olive oil, faggot. The imported Italian ones are shit.

They are shit, and they're run by the Mafia.

This. Only shit I buy, and ATK agrees.

nobody knows what ATK is, faggot

Then get off this board.

OP here, I guess it means America's Test Kitchen. Just a wild guess.

By the way, how does one search online for olive oil without "extra virgin?" I just want plain olive, fuck that virgin crap.

>plastic

>The imported Italian ones are shit
What about Portuguese olive oil?

Anything that isn't cut. Greece actually has some pretty good olive oil as well. California just happens to be the most regulated that is widely available in America. Italian olive oil is often times not even olive oil

pic related, good book

Cool, will have to check that out.

Thanks. Then I will check out both Greek and Portuguese olive oils, as long as it is not extra virgin. Not sure what you mean by it not being cut, I can look that up tho.

If you're not buying extra virgin, then you may as well go with rape seed or canola.

Why? And I completely disagree. Olives are healthy, so why wouldn't just plain olive oil be healthy? To make extra virgin, they take out a lot of the nutrients from what I understand. Rape seed and canola are not healthy.

>To make extra virgin, they take out a lot of the nutrients from what I understand.

Uh...

I buy mine in a 20litre tin off the boat from Greece, doubt it's cut, I know the grower and he imports a few hundred of them from his olive groves a year. Hey, it's only $200 for 20l, and I go through one a every year.

It's true, the mafia mixes up evoo and sells it as 100% evoo, it's usually like 25% evoo mixed with god knows what oil and sold in markets. There are a few that don't do this and it's usually good stuff. The few tins that I've bought in stores that weren't messed with ran upwards of $55 to $80 or so for 3litres.

>Uh...
I looked up the nutrient list of olive oil versus extra virgin. Olive oil was healthier, extra virgin did not have all the nutrients (minerals, etc.). Enlighten me if I am wrong, please.

We refill the cristal bottles with the content of this ones. Is cheaper than getting cristal ones over and over.

Really? Is there a particular brand you guys recommend?

Olive oil is made from the leftovers from when EVOO refuse to give up any more of their goods. It tastes worse and has fewer of the compounds that make EVOO so healthy in the first place. The only reason to use it is if you are using high heat to make a mediterranean dish, like frying the pork before you make meat sauce

Virgin means not fucked with. Extra virgin even moreso. You have it completely backwards.

It's very peppery which some people may or may not like. I personally like it. Trader Joes also has their own brand which tastes similar and is cheaper.

California Olive Ranch.

I read somewhere that Olive Oil is actually not all that good for you, and cooking at high temperatures makes it just as bad as other oils.

Is olive oil even worth it?

Extra virgin just means it was the first press you retard

It is the oleic acid. Oleic acid is healthy, but extra virgin olive oil has less than 1% of oleic acid, whereas virgin olive oil has about 3%. Can't find what plain olive oil has. So, in that sense, extra virgin is not as healthy if you want your oleic acid.

>cooking at high temperatures makes it just as bad as other oils.
Right, it is not a high temp oil. It it great for dipping bread in or a light drizzle on salads, etc., or even roasting (like putting it on potatoes to roast in the oven). I use peanut oil and sesame oil for my normal cooking.

>trusting the greeks to be straight up with you

nigga pls

"Standard" olive oil is normally a mix of both virgin and refined olive oil, or just refined olive oil, it has less "toxicity" because they remove some of the shit to make it better for cooking.
Virgin means it's unfucked, no refining, no purification, no nothing, only filtration, this means some of the unhealthy oils and toxins of the olive stay in the oil, giving it that burn in the throat when you swallow too much of it, it's made from various harvests and types of olives
Extra virgin means it's a virgin oil made from the same harvest and the same type of olive only, the added price and quality comes from being a more "personal" oil, each maker makes different oils with different strengths, flavors and smells, like good wine.
Of course this only applies in countries with tradition of olive oil making, probably in america it's all the same shit.

t. mediterranean

>t. mediterranean
Thank you. Great information that I did not know. Appreciate it!

what oils do you guys cook with?

Just general sauteing and stuff. I use the Safeway brand light olive oil. Is this stuff meant to be used for cooking?

Sesame, coconut, olive, and just plain old vegetable/canola mix.

Canola's GM, man

I buy Paso olive they have tons of flavors, and there California blend is like for everything. also the tins they come in are awesome.

pasolivo.com/

Last forever too.

>what oils do you guys cook with?
Peanut oil for pretty much everything, and sesame for rice dishes and some veggie dishes, for a different taste. Occasionally coconut.

Came to shillthis guys site.

truthinoliveoil.com/

Ever since reading I only will buy California Olive Ranch or Trader Joe's (forget the variety but it's a great value, might be the greek kalamata olive)

Veg or canola oil, whichever is cheapest

mein spanish negger

>3 out of 6 TJs oils were bad
lol, no surprise there

cooking at high temperatures will burn it, which creates carcinogenic compounds.

you can read this glorified blog and look into their sources: huffingtonpost.com/entry/olive-oil-explainer_us_55b925cce4b0a13f9d1b5143

grapeseed or rice bran for high temperature and deep frying. I'm allergic to peanuts, the oil should be fine but I'm still not down to use it when there are other high smoke point options.

a bit of olive oil or clarified butter if i'm roasting something like asparagus or cauliflour and want a little oil on it.

so what?

>California blend
>500ml
>$39.00

Holy shit, just buy $12. You can find it at Walmart.

>genetic modification is bad

Pesticides I'll give you, but fuck off with that Luddite bullshit.

What a shitty, messy infographic. On par with that wine one.

one with more options.

yea i know, but the general temperature and uses is pretty accurate. the rest isn't all that scientific.

EVOO

got to squeeze those olives just right

I am puzzled why that guy took a screen instead of posting the actual image.

because I only had the pdf and couldnt find the image within 5 seconds searching google.

if blindly picking buy the one that is in tin cans, not glass bottles

What surprised me was the Costco one since Costco is VERY picky on what they sell. The only olive oil you should be buying from Costco is the Kirkland Signature Toscano one.

olive oil has nearly 2.5x the amount of calories, unit for unit, as HEAVY CREAM

and yet people drench their salads and shit in it because it's "healthy"

If you are still around, being cut just means they added something that isn't olive oil to it. Bad olive oil will have shit like canola oil in it and not be labeled as such. Hence the scandals over italian "olive oil"

>Carbonell
>not Hojiblanca

I bet you also deem Cruzcampo worthy of being regarded as a beer.

"Extra virgin" that means that /b/ is abundant with it

>clear plastic
Red flag

>because it's "tasty"
Ftfy.
Olive is the dominant oil because it tastes the best above all other factors

Carbonell is great for cooking. Also, in Spain olive oil is usually in plastic as it doesn't stay on the shelves for years like in anglo countries.

Plastic is fine. Clear plastic is bad news, olive oil and sun doesn't mix

"Olive oil is healthy so you can eat as much as you want" was probably a marketing gimmick. It's not unhealthy though.

And you shouldn't be broiling it or using it for high temp cooking like stir fries, but it seems okay up to about 350F/medium heat

>>health
I'm sure that it was used for advertising at some point, but it does have a very favorable ratio of fatty acids compared to many other cooking oils. You could probably find something better, but it's certainly high on the list as far as readily available oils go.

>>temp
Depends on what oil you're talking about. Refined olive oil has a high smoke point (nearly 400), and is perfectly suitable for most cooking tasks. (Though I agree with you about the stir-fry). EVOO, on the other hand, has a low smoke point and is not suitable for high heat use at all. That's for dressings and sauces.

>Omega 6
>Bad

Did the person who made this chart bother understanding the intricacies of Omega 3 & 6?

no. but they got the temperature thing down. ignore the health guidelines/up and down positions.

>Comparing Carbonell as a oil to Cruzcampo as a beer.

Please.

Here is normal to store the oil bottles in drawers, dark and dry, how they should be.

Crisco, olive oil, butter

The wizard chan approved oil.

Ya but this is way fucking better than that.

I am sure for 12 dollars that's the best you can get but 12 dollars isn't my budget.

i've had pretty good luck with this brand, good stuff. Spanish EVOO is pretty dodgy usually but i get this stuff off amazon for pretty cheap

Basically you have to make your own or at least be present while someone is making it.
>google.com.mx/search?q=the olive oil scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=s81zV4CUEazI8gfYjwI