Just got some white pepper and it smells like manure. Is this normal?

Just got some white pepper and it smells like manure. Is this normal?

Other urls found in this thread:

thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-agri-biz-and-commodity/article1620047.ece
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pepper#White_pepper
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skatole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes. The only people who use white pepper are staunchy, traditionalist French chef's who want their white sauce to be white and SE Asians for some reason I've never understood (ask Borneo).

White peppercorns are literally just black peppercorns with the skin removed. I have noticed the "barnyardy" aroma in some, might have to do with how each manufacturer removes that skin.

I bet you have dots of black pepper in your mashed potatoes and bechamel sauce you fucking barbarian. White pepper belongs in every pantry.

i put tarragon in my mash

deal with it

White pepper is awful.
Get over it, Jean-Christophe.

no its not

actually to get white peppercorns you soak pink peppercorns berries until the skin rots and then it's just a matter of scrubbing hard

no

white pepper goes well with Chinese seasoning

its not as strong as black pepper so it doesn't cut too much into the mellow flavors of Cantonese food but is quite flavorful enough to make a flavorful impact on soups and braised dishes

thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/tp-agri-biz-and-commodity/article1620047.ece
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pepper#White_pepper
White pepper consists of the seed of the pepper plant alone, with the darker-coloured skin of the pepper fruit removed. This is usually accomplished by a process known as retting, where fully ripe red pepper berries are soaked in water for about a week, during which the flesh of the pepper softens and decomposes. Rubbing then removes what remains of the fruit, and the naked seed is dried. Sometimes alternative processes are used for removing the outer pepper from the seed, including removing the outer layer through mechanical, chemical or biological methods

Implying Black pepper doesn't add contrast and make mashed potatoes and Light colored sauces/gravies look better

Yes, it's the same chemical. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skatole

No, because I don't put pepper in it.

It does have specks of nutmeg in it

sounds like it hasnt been processed properly, chuck it
one of the process stages involves fermentation so if this bit isnt done right it will smell bad
try white pepper from Sarawak if you can get it

shits delicious, it adds a nice clean heat to dishes and has a less overpowering aroma than black pepper

pic related is amazing with a dash of white pepper

>tfw you reply with "ask borneo" and she actually shows up

Do you ever post without the name?

Borneo doesn't use a trip...

White pepper tastes like shit compared to black pepper imho. I don't think there is any reason to use it unless you don't want to see that there are pepper specs in your dish. I value taste over everything, so white pepper has no place in my kitchen

Do not talk to namefag. Same idea.

i like white pepper

This. white pepper still fucking awesome though
>not liking all peppers

>Skatole or 3-methylindole is a mildly toxic white crystalline organic compound belonging to the indole family. It occurs naturally in feces (it is produced from tryptophan in the mammalian digestive tract) and coal tar and has a strong fecal odor. In low concentrations, it has a flowery smell and is found in several flowers and essential oils, including those of orange blossoms, jasmine, and Ziziphus mauritiana. It is used as a fragrance and fixative in many perfumes and as an aroma compound. Its name is derived from the Greek root skato- meaning "dung". Skatole was discovered in 1877 by the German physician Ludwig Brieger (1849–1919).[1] Skatole is also used by U.S. military in its non-lethal weaponry; specifically, malodorants.[2]

so shit in low concentrations smell like flowers. neat.

>biological methods

Oh boy, I don't wanna know

+1 on no aroma. When it's put in a dish, it doesn't smell or taste like manure anymore.

>oranges smell like shit
[No citation needed]

Ever get a good whiff of honey nut cheerios? Some shit just smells different.

oranges smell amazing too, makes you remember that the whole can be greater than the sum of it's parts.

>scat
>German physician

Who'd have thunk...

"Whatever you cook, white pepper will make it twice as good." - Paul Prudhomme