Going to this place for the first time later today

Going to this place for the first time later today

What should I expect?
What should I buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodmiles.com/egg-miles.cfm
whereismymilkfrom.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The answer to both your questions is "nothing".

fantastic

Great value and amazing quality.

The downside? Limited range.

Most of it is shit. Just buy branded stuff that is cheap. All their home brand stuff is terrible

Bring a quarter.

Buy dairy staples there. Bread is fine if you eat it in a week. Get a pizza. No not the fancy shit. Get the 2 dollar one.

You like European chocolate? Cheapest place to buy it is there.

The fresh stuff is a shit show. Only buy what you plan to eat that day.

Buy all the spices you need.

If you are lazy buy their beef there, but know it can be bought much cheaper if on sale elsewhere. Their chicken is fine. No idea about their pork.

Their beer is shit. Their 2.89 chardonnay is perfect if you are looking to get drunk cheap.

Their salmon is not from a farm but it also from china. If that is OK then it is cheap and tasty.

Bring bags or scavenge carbon boxes / packaging not being used. Employees are just going to throw it out anyway so you are saving them work.

Don't listen to this guy
the quality is mediocre
the value is above average
go there for cheap shit, but don't expect anything but cheap shit

Aldi is one step up from the dollar store (read: only go if you're really poor and starving).

depends on where you live

southern california

they just opened a bunch of stores around here

>What should I expect?
Shitloads of people in a tiny store.
Register lines that back up into the aisle.
People walking in front of you and cutting you off.
Cashiers quickly scanning your crap and throwing it into a cart in an effort to counter the long lines, but not making any real progress.

>What should I buy?
It's been a while since I've shopped there but they sell these soft chocolate chip cookies that I like. There's something really satisfying about biting into them.

Aldi wildly differs from country to country

Your Aldi sounds like complete garbage. I'm sorry.

The ones here in south carolina have the cheapest vegatables

There are two within a reasonable distance of me and they both have the same problems. There are other grocery stores that are closer and one is basically an Aldi's that's owned by Kroger and gets a lot less foot traffic so I've stopped going.

The Hummus variety platter is the same as the one they sell at Trader Joe's.
-- General Tso's chicken, frozen, is good.
-- The lunch meat is pretty good.I get Turkey.
-- The chips are 'okay'.
Things I hate:
-- The carts COST A QUARTER to use. Fuck them.
-- NO BAGS: Again, Fuck them.
-- Bag it yourself: I'd pay a kid for that, why don't they? Assholes
-- Aisle layout: Ever have to go back for something? I did, it really sucks. People look at you like you're an asshole. Maybe Aldi's are the assholes for making everyone go the same direction.
-- Eggs: I've had eggs go bad. It almost killed me. I threw up until I didn't have anything left in my stomach, then threw up some more. FUCK THEM. Now I have to test my eggs every fucking time.

Pic is unrelated. I lost it so bad I had to go to my happy place. Corporate greed and intentional negligence burns me up.

Moser Roth chocolate.

>I threw up until I didn't have anything left in my stomach, then threw up some more. FUCK THEM
Lol never drank much eh?

Very funny summerfag. I wrote my comments with explicit intentions, choosing every word carefully.
Now go back to junior high.
If I wanted you to think 'dry heaves', I would've said that.

OP, If you have a store called SAVE A LOT nearby, go there instead. You save more money, but do not expect quality, at all.

If I shouldn't expect quality, then why would I shop there? Serious question.

Yesss peppermint or chilii

Is it just me or do fruits from Aldi always smell like garbage? Lidl is pretty much the same store with a different logo and their fresh produce smells fine.

What is special about this? I live in germany and this is just the most regular supermarket here

Carefully inspect before purchase.

It's poorfag central here.
As in " too poor for walmart" poor.

The reason I go in there is because I have no money left. I'm part of the 'new poor', the shrinking middle class done shrunk me into a 'high class poor boy'.

There are 3 within a 45 min drive of me and all of them are fantastic. Great quality products, very efficient staff, clean place.....sounds like you live in a shit area

>I'm part of the 'new poor

So you had faggy liberal parents or conservative helicopter parents who never taught you that you need an actual in-demand skill to make a decent living?

when are you going to get rid of merkel

these stores are new in California
Will they import millions of muslim refugees if I shop there?

Cheap Euro import store, much like Lidl. Some of the stuff you would find there is cheaper than what you would find in your local Tesco/Walmart/whatever depending on your location.

I do live in a shit area unfortunately. Full of absolutely shitty people.

I think the core issue is that the buildings the stores are in are just so small. It's not that they're dirty or that the staff isn't trying, they just get a lot of people in a little space. The Kroger is quite a bit bigger and the aisles are wider as is Save A Lot and it's definitely noticeable.

Buy the fruit candies

Isn't walmart primarely for niggers tough?

It's just that they're expanding in the US market so it's just something new to talk about. No doubt their marketers are trying to making them out to something special even though we have a long history of generic store brands. I find their food horrid and making people bring their own shopping bags is an inconvenience. Maybe they'll go away like Fresh & Easy.

Walmart was seemingly unable to compete on ALDI's home turf.

Bring a quarter to use in the carts. You get it back.

Their eggs are as low as .89 cents a dozen, I get six at a time, three tubes of oats three peanut butter's, two loaves of 100% whole wheat, and two chickens and whatever fruit is on sale for less than 35 dollars. Its fucking amazing. Chicken is 5 per, PB is 3, oats 2, bread, 2.

Its cheap and nutritious if you don't buy shit.

>Their eggs are as low as .89 cents a dozen
trader joe's has em for 1 dollar and in better quality too

>COST A QUARTER
>COST
>require the payment of (a specified sum of money) before it can be acquired or done.
You don't lose your quarter fuckstick. You get it back.

But how does their chardonnay compare to the 2 buck chuck at Trader Joe's?

Aldis has some great fucking snacks nigger. Anything else is cheap but still good.

I live in a small town of ~10,000. Usually the people that go to Aldis are getting shit for parties, events, camping, shit like that. If you gotta feed a lot of people this is the jam.

The worst stores I have ever been to are Save-a-lot and Costco. Save-a-lot was disgusting and costco is filled with the fucking worst full of themselves house wives ever. Know what, albertsons is just as bad. Add that one to the list.

I have lived in the midwest, south, and west so pretty much every fucking grocery store in the USA. Missing just the east coast stores.

2 buck chuck I would say is superior.

However, I will say that is due to placebo effect. The 2 buck chuck uses a slightly more expensive cork. I am only a wino so I cannot say if it is truly superior, but to a peasant eye at least it uses a "true" cork.

As someone who shops at both, I always say that if the price is equal go with Trader Joe's. On the other hand if Aldi is 5 minutes away while TJ is 20 minutes away and I crave [booze] [cheap snack] [etc] then Aldi is fine.

Ultimately, as other user's have hinted at, you can pay rock bottom prices for "average" shit. It will not be stellar quality, but you will save a ton.

The key to Aldi is to find the things your taste buds cannot differentiate. Myself, I cannot taste the difference between generic and name brand milk. Nor cheese. Nor pizza. I CAN taste the difference in pop tarts. Go figure.

As a /pol/ack I will say that while what you say is true, being frugal is a valuable skill no matter what your life choices are

Is everyone on Veeky Forums really this poor?

>one is basically an Aldi's that's owned by Kroger
Ruler Foods? Those are great!

Dude the USA is comprised mostly of poorfags
We have a literal 3rd world tier wealth gap

>What should I expect?
Better quality selection than other discounters. Honestly, better than Rewe more often than not. Produce is fresh and some of it is Bio.

>What should I buy?
The pasta is alright, there's whole wheat spaghetti and fresh tortellini. The ground pork+beef is okay, if you spice it up a little. There's no Bio chicken sadly. The frozen salmon is nice. I like the hummus. Avoid any alcohol except the vodka.

All the basics are covered. You won't get the selection of a brand market but their turnover is much faster: no months old cans.

>-- The carts COST A QUARTER to use. Fuck them.
No, dummy, you get it back. It's just so that carts don't litter the car park.

>The Hummus variety platter is the same as the one they sell at Trader Joe's.
Yep.
>-- General Tso's chicken, frozen, is good.
Sure is.
>-- The lunch meat is pretty good.I get Turkey.
There's like 20 varieties. Pick a few.
>-- The chips are 'okay'.
Agreed.
>Things I hate:
No, it takes a quarter to release the cart and you get it back when you return it. Or just leave it and be a nice person.
>-- NO BAGS: Again, Fuck them.
They cost five cents, you can bring your own, or you can use a box from the shelf like everyone else.
>-- Bag it yourself: I'd pay a kid for that, why don't they? Assholes
It makes the register lines run about 70% faster than other places. Get your shit together and you can bag it as they scan it. You get out of the register line quickly which is the worst part of shopping damn near anywhere.
>-- Aisle layout: Ever have to go back for something? I did, it really sucks. People look at you like you're an asshole. Maybe Aldi's are the assholes for making everyone go the same direction.
Yeah, that's kind of a shitshow but it's about efficiency. Get in, get out, go on with your life.
>-- Eggs: I've had eggs go bad. It almost killed me. I threw up until I didn't have anything left in my stomach, then threw up some more. FUCK THEM. Now I have to test my eggs every fucking time.
No. Do some research. They probably come from the same place the $4 eggs at the other stores come from. foodmiles.com/egg-miles.cfm While you're at it, see where the dollar milk is from too. whereismymilkfrom.com/
>Pic is unrelated. I lost it so bad I had to go to my happy place. Corporate greed and intentional negligence burns me up.
I agree but this isn't the case with Aldi nearly as much as other grocery retailers.

I don't know if you have to be tough to shop there or not user.

There's been an Aldi in my small, midwestern town for 25 years....

Is it just me or does the Aldi logo look old and outdated? Like that shop you only go to if the others ones are shut and you need to buy something desperately .

It's the logo of a chain that doesn't spend millions every 5 years on reinventing its image. They sell quality at very competitive prices, not brands or labels. The logo is quaint, no doubt. And if you shop by logo then Aldi isn't for you.

>-- NO BAGS: Again, Fuck them.
>-- Bag it yourself: I'd pay a kid for that, why don't they? Assholes
all of these help them keep their prices low.

the aisle thing is annoying, though. i'll give you that.

They're expanding Westward.

Immigrants and SNAPpers

Their generic snack food and staples are competitive.

Aldis is alot cheaper where i live

>having issues bagging your own shopping

expect a lot of rude mexicans.