Food arrangement.
Tips and tricks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h2WSGRJxT_U
justbento.com/recipes
jlist.com/mtn017
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

few days ago I did this one

I used to like pickled daikon in gimbap, but after a while it just felt too sweet for me, and now I don't like it anymore.

Maybe I would if it had less sugar.

Looks tasty. What's in the swirly egg(?) rolls on the right?

just some nori tamagoyaki

When I was a teenage weeabo and super into this shit I did not realize how small Bento portions were, and it took me a while to figure out that the eggs in all the pictures were usually quail eggs, all the tomatoes were grape/cherry ones, the mushrooms were like tiny enoki, etc etc. I was like "Wow this is so much food! This all looks delicious I'm going to eat Bento every day!". I ordered a Bento box online without paying attention to the measurements and then got this tiny oval and it all clicked. Now it's great because I need to portion control but it's still difficult trying to get variety and filling foods in such a small space. And fuck trying to make it look pretty.

Here's the only terrible picture I have of something I made once. Strawberries, boiled egg, noodles with nori, fried chicken, creamed spinach, zucchini, and mushrooms. It wasn't pretty but it tasted good.

what are some sturdy (but relatively cheap) bento boxes that i can buy? im always realy paranoid that my lunch is gonna spill all in my bag

i really really want some kimbap now.
too bad im currently in the midwest.

Im looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Why do your noodles look like spaghetti?

You can actually find lots of suitable containers in nice sizes with compartments and tight locking lids at places like Wal-mart, Target, etc. if you don't mind them not being 'muh authentic Japanese bento box'. MonBento is also good and reasonably priced.

>less than 20 dollars
>made in Japan
boy

I don't know? They're like thin yakisoba noodles.

>what is Daiso
>what are 100 yen stores
>what are cheapass bento boxes made for children
>what is copy pasta

>being new in 2016

way to kill my teenage weeaboo dream

Sorry buddy. Everything's tiny, especially if you're looking at Charaben because those are typically made for school-aged children and it can be hard to realize the scale in pictures. I mean look at this shit. Those are cherry tomatoes and the ears are made out of individual beans, this is itty bitty.

I mean their eyes are sesame seeds for goodness sake. Also why anyone would need to make pocket sandwiches as small as the ones made with pic related is beyond me. You can only fit a thimble of any ingredient inside. Just seems like a waste of time and bread.

Bump

Can we share good youtube channels?

youtube.com/watch?v=h2WSGRJxT_U

I really like this one but they haven't uploaded in a while.

Looks pretty good. Guy has some decent videos on bentos. I'll have to go through them all after work and get some ideas on new things to cook. Thanks for sharing.

are you guys homosexuals?

justbento.com/recipes

the GOAT resource for bento recipes

>stop posting food on a food board
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeseeeeeeeeeeee

looks great
too unhealthy, what kid will eat the rice and fruit after that many fried shit
this is more like what i expect an actual japanese mother to give to her kid
completely moronic, maybe the kid will eat the cheese
cute but sushi rice on its own is way too sweet
is this for fat kids?

Why is that for fat

>sushi rice on its own is way too sweet

Sounds like someone's only ever had American sushi rice.

And besides, what makes you think that's sushi rice at all, and not just plain ol steamed rice?

Are you retarded or just a stupid person trying really hard?

small
just a guess, plain rice alone as a meal is shit too tho

>plain rice alone as a meal is shit too tho

Yeah, I agree. Good thing there's plenty more there than just rice.

>General

I really don't think most of those were intended for children. I made and I'm a college student living on my own, but thanks for suggesting it's well rounded?
Your other responses were interesting to see at the very least.

Who needs a tutorial for cutting radish?

People who never naturally thought to do it like that, obviously. It's about the design more than 'how to use knife'.

>I really don't think most of those were intended for children

So you think adults have cutesy little bentos like that?

I'm sure chicks do, and if guys want to surprise chicks it's a good skill to learn.

The MonBento one with the olives was an adult reviewing the product, the one in OP looks like a practical one for someone older than "child", the one with the fuck ton of fried food is obviously an adult weeb, but yeah the one where the rice is dog faces is for kids.

I missed this pasta

>plain rice alone as a meal is shit too tho
western shitlords. rice is all you need in life

Oh hey guy what's up, I followed your thread for a cook along but didn't reply before it 404'd. Thanks, I really appreciated it. I had trouble with the batter though, but that'll come with practice I guess. The teriyaki recipe was nice too I'll use that more often

Glad to hear it bud, let's see some pics next time!Just got done making this for lunch tomorrow.
Vegetable stir fry, seasoned rice nori wraps, tamagoyaki and fruit salad.

That bentou is making my tummy go doki doki. How'd you season the rice?

Sea salt and a light spritzing of rice wine vinegar. There's a small layer of rice under veggie stir fry too that was seasoned with mirin, so I got sweet on one side and savory on the other.

Can't go wrong with mirin. Looks damn good, user. I need to get around to using the nori I picked up a while back. Might try to learn how to make onigiri I guess.

Super easy to do and really tasty. Once you nail the shaping of onigiri start looking into things you can stuff it with. Meats, veggies, jams... there's a ton you can do with it since rice is a neutral flavor, you can go back and forth between sweet and savory.

And they're portable, too! I'd like to try out some traditional style plum filling sometime, so I can become one with the animes.
Also, what's the sauce on your veggie stir fry? And is that white sesame?

Soy and sesame oil brought together with a little cornstarch to form a sauce. The seeds are toasted sesame that I just roast in a pan for a few minutes until they start to brown. Plum is one filling I haven't tried yet and would really like to. Maybe when they come back in season I'll make some candied plums or a preserve to use.

I thought so. I'm allergic to sesame though so I'm not really familiar with it. Thanks, you may have inspired me to get back into the art of bentou.

it kinda sounds like you want to be bent over your own box

>General
no, stop it. This isn't /g/ or Veeky Forums. This is one of the last boards free from an influx of cancerous generals. Please for the love of god don't.

If you don't like it fuck off to one of the containment boards. It's board related.

>Food and cooking
>Bento (弁当 bentō?)[1] is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine.
>Meal
>Cuisine
>Every related pic ITT is of food

I agree with though we don't need generals and this shit's hardly popular enough to warrant such a thing anyways.

Dumping some of these Japanese cooking comics by the way. Could be good dishes for Bento.
I'll share some I think are most useful, but if there's any interest in more I've got a lot saved.

Sleep tight, pizza

More?

Yes pl0x

Okkie dokkie.

>dashi
welp, guess I am not making any of these, because that shit is impossible to get the ingredients for here.

Where do you live that you can't get seaweed, bonito, and water? Have you looked for asian markets near you? These are very common ingredients and you could also order them online. But let me dump some more stuff that doesn't require Dashi for you.

>seaweed
it's not just seaweed, it's konbu, even the japanese stores near me don't have that. bonito flakes, maybe.

That's odd to me considering all the stores I've been to have had kelp. Have you asked one of the employees about it? They may be able to order it for you or like I said you can get it online if you did want to make Dashi.

Sleep tight, Pizza

What whole fish do you like to eat?

Trout and Crappie are my go to. Got 3 lakes really near by and fishing is often good.

Reposting for Mr. Macaroni.

Where are those two anons who I convinced to get a lunch box last week?

See
You missed the unboxing thread by about 4-5 days.

Tummy. Dokidoki.
Wow. That's some real retarded weebshit there, man.

>can't into sarcasm
Id get checked for aspergers if I were you

And I'd get you checked for assburgers.

You too

Hi Veeky Forums

I bought pic related about a couple months ago, but I haven't used it ever. It sits on top of my fridge. I don't know how to use my bento or what/how to pack it with. Is a good resource? All help is appreciated.

jlist.com/mtn017