Hello Veeky Forums. I wanna learn to be better at cooking. I'm a pretty basic bitch but I know enough to feed myself...

Hello Veeky Forums. I wanna learn to be better at cooking. I'm a pretty basic bitch but I know enough to feed myself, that's about it though. I figured I'd start with the french kitchen, what should I know for this, what are some great recipes and rules of thump? ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=778827byReA
cuisine-france.com/recipes/coq_vin.htm
traditionalfrenchfood.com/shrimp-bisque.html
wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470421355.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Did someone say Trump?

Fuck off

>rules of thump?

Idgi.
Sorry for misspelling thumb

Plz respond

I don't know a lot about cooking/don't have any formal training, nor do I know a great deal about the French cuisine, but I do know how to make dank French toast. Not sure if it's really French, but to me it's a basic and delicious breakfast dish.

Ingredients (Estimated, adjust as needed)
>1 or 2 baguettes, depending on size
>1/2 cup milk
>2-3 eggs
>1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
>1 teaspoon vanilla extract
>1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>vegetable oil or butter

Slice your baguette into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Combine milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a bowl and whisk until throughouly mixed.

Heat a pan on your stove, greasing it with vegetable oil or butter AFTER it's hot. This is the proper way to grease a pan. Now dip the bauette slices in the egg-milk bath before putting them in the pan, cooking and flipping until both sides are well browned. Put them on a plate with a paper towel or cloth to absorb grease. Repeat until all pieces are cooked. Serve with butter and maple syrup.

I use baguette slices instead of load bread because they're less sweet, they have a lot more texture, and they're cheap as fuck.

Thanks. This will go on a list of things to try

>some poor Veeky Forums kid that hasn't done real cooking in his entire life wants to try his hands at the greatest, most holy culinary discipline, the French kitchen
Psh, get real kid, go argue about mac n cheese

Good cookbooks. Don't watch TV Cooking, s'il vous plaƮt.

Any recommendations senpai?

French cooking is peasant cooking though

He's not talking about fine dining here

Obviously. All regular consumer cooking is peasant cooking. That's why it's average. Still better than UK cooking or German cooking.

I'm a chemist as a profession and got into cooking through that. If you have a scientific background i really recommend the modernist cookbook. Not specifically french but really teaches you how to cook from a scientific viewpoint.

For what you want, just visit a cooking store (there must be one near) and look through the books.

>telling people on the internet that you're a girl
Instantly disregarded. What the fuck.

Retard. Basic Bitch doesn't imply being a girl right away, desu didn't even notice and who cares.

Go back to /pol/ you're no cu/ck/

Who the fuck browses pol?
What does being a female have to do with cooking?
Why are you defending your "OMG HOW TO COOK" shitposting?

All fields.

People like you obviously, getting all mad over a a thing that was probably never intended that way. Get over yourself and start acting like the god of this board.

The reason you're getting so much hate is because "starting with the french kitchen" comes off as ignorant and pretentious if you're not French. There are very few dishes where you can just stick a bunch of shit in a pot and it'll taste good; this is due to the emphasis on each individual ingredient and what it adds/supports/distracts from, and how you cook these ingredients.

I'd start here
youtube.com/watch?v=778827byReA (still heavily french influenced)

He's very detail oriented about teaching technique, as he was a culinary school instructor. He tries to use cookware and ingredients everyone can access, and has a wide range of dishes he shows making it easy to find one you're feeling like eating that day.

If you're still dead-set on a french kitchen, I think this is what you want
cuisine-france.com/recipes/coq_vin.htm
traditionalfrenchfood.com/shrimp-bisque.html

Buy this
wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470421355.html

Read it, try recipes from each section, learn basic cooking skills by doing so and then start venturing out on your own.

You could start with an omelette or some shit. 3 eggs and some butter. if you get good at it, you'll gain some intuition about how eggs cook.

Lmao Wiley has cooking books? Thanks for this amazing tip

I was more looking for a deeper understanding of the defining philosophies of french cooking.
I can cook an omelette

There's no deeper understanding to french cooking. there's no deep understanding to any cooking.

Just learn the techniques and imitate the others. Imitation in cooking is a compliment.