Let's see if I can't fuck this up

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
youtu.be/q21O515OLxU
youtube.com/watch?v=3HAMk_ZYO7g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the marbling on that thing sucks.

OP here. I agree.
I expect better from a prime ribeye deep in the heart of Texas.

Never ate fancy steaks. How does marbling affect taste?

you didnt get to pick it out of the case?

>prime
You sure that's prime bro? Where you gettin your meat cuts from?

Lots of flavor and practically melts in your mouth

this is what prime strip looks like. yours should look similar.

I paid $17 a pound here in the adirondacks.

I asked him to cut me one thicker than the ones in the case. Case cuts were 1.25 inches. Didn't inspect it before it was wrapped up.
Central Market

Salt pepper butter thyme steak
Vac sealed

I hope youre not planning to do with that what I think you are.

This doesn't look like it was aged

he didn't say it was.

Bathing in 129 degree bath
Timer set for 1 hour 15 minutes
Preheating over 400 degrees for veg (and cast iron for searing steak)

>oven
What do you think I'm planning?

what youre doing to it.

and you call yourself a texan.

Why wouldn't you get it aged?

It's over 100 degrees outside and humid as fuck since it rained yesterday. Fuck being outside any more than necessary.
In hindsight I probably should have.

not everywhere has it aged. some people like to eat steak everyday and aren't going to pay extra for that shit. primes good enough.

are you even going to sear it? or just heat it up in water?

Chopped veg salt pepper olive oil
Into the oven it goes

Yeah I think I'll sear it.
I have the cast iron in the oven with the veg. Should be hot as fuck by the time the steak is medium rare all the way through.

youre putting it in a 400 degree oven and think it will be hot as fuck?

You gotta put the flat side of the sprouts down so that they caramelize better

Now those are some pretty looking steaks.

I'm just preheating the cast iron. It'll be seared on the stove.
I understand that 400 isn't ripping hot for searing purposes.

Sear it on both sides until it gets that crust, to lock in the flavor. Switch to oven for 6-8 min for med rare. Sucks about the marbling

Why not just heat it on the stove?

>to lock in the flavor

probably because cast iron takes a little bit to heat up and the oven is already being used so he might as well.

>I understand that 400 isn't ripping hot for searing purposes.
put the pan upside down over the burner before you put the over-cooked meat in it...
you fuckhead

this
>over-cooked meat
129 degrees? overcooked?

Mr. Butts' market is the one redeeming thing about Texas

yea its overcooked if youre planning to sear it.

How would a Texan typically prepare a steak? I've always wanted to eat a proper steak dinner in Texas.

:boiledsteak:

My grandpa's favorite!

Uh yeah - you want your final temp to be no more than 135. Sous vide to 129, and your cold as fuck cast iron is gonna take at least 2 min per side to get a decent crust. So you're gonna go way over 135 with carry over.

Home ranges don't get that hot - so best bet is to use a blowtorch to finish sous vide cuts.

ribeye on a mesquite wood grill. medium rare to medium since youre going to be drinking beer while you cook.

Less well than places in the ACTUAL west.

Texas is often big on portions, low on quality.

How is this board this full of out of touch idiots?

or he could just bring it up to like 110 then sear. (I dont sous vide because im not a homosexual, so I'm not sure the exact temp.)

the guy is cooking it to medium rare temp then he's going to sear it? that shits going to be beyond medium after that.

No

I'm a Canadian asking how Texans eat their steaks. Out of touch? Technically. Idiot? Debatable.

lets see what he does then. prove me wrong, i dont sous vide. it just seems logical that the sear will raise the temp at least 8-10 degrees if hes going to get an actual sear with some crunch.

Who the he'll wants to sear it after the oven... They must like shoe leather

>I don't sous vide
Then shut up and let people who know what they're doing do what they do.

hes sous videing it, not cooking it in the oven.

I do like shoe leather, personally. just on my shoes.

That would work as well.

And don't worry, blowing your stepdad doesn't make you gay.

who said you're not a homosexual?
exactly
yes

Veg cooked.
Transferring cast iron to stove on high

Let me guess - you're so magic you don't use a thermometer?

how do you get a proper sear without heating the inside some? that doesn't even make sense.

Nobody gives a shit about your badly cooked veg, we're waiting to see how bad you fuck up the steak.

No, I don't because I know how to cook a steak. Never had a steak go over medium rare and I set my water temp to 131.

my wife's son disagrees with you.

Stop being such a cunt.

You CAN if you have a very high temp pan (or torch).

Newton's law of heating - rate of change is proportional to difference in temps. If you can pass the mallard point quickly, you won't transfer as much energy through past the contact point.

if youre op then based on the quality of his steak I don't really believe you know what medium rare is, since you don't know what prime grade looks like.

I see the problem. You don't know what medium rare is.

You can be gay and blow your stepdad. You just don't have to be to do so.

I'm still interested and keen on seeing the end results. Don't let the naysayers discourage you OP.

seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
also
youtu.be/q21O515OLxU

129 degrees will get you a medium rare steak

>not measuring means I must be skilled!

Wow. Beyond sad. Let me guess, you've never cooked professionally, but think you'd be great at it?

Holy shit you're stupid. Resting the steak (which you should be doing) lowers the temperature of the steak. The sear is about a minute on each side. Medium rare is generally understood to be in the range of 130 to 140. Put those together. If you're still having trouble with this, then I don't know how to help you.

Yes, the fact that I don't have to measure and still get the results I want does mean I'm skilled.

More like to JUST the steak by searing before cooking

>seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

You idiot, that's final steak temp in the table, NOT water temp.

Notice also they're using a torch, not a 400F cast iron pan like OP stupidly decided to do?

I don't see how that really refuted my point that op doesn't know what prime grade steak looks like.

>Resting the steak (which you should be doing) lowers the temperature of the steak

Wow, the fucking ignorance of basic science here . . . .

Resting a steak allows the heat on the surface to transfer somewhat into the interior. The interior (which is what temperature ranges are reflections of) raises in temperature as the exterior (the crust) cools.

If you weren't too incompetent to use a thermometer you could of course observe this yourself.

Sear of 1 min a side on a home range means that in addition to not knowing what medium rare is, you also don't know what a crust should look like. Good to see your failure is consistent.

I am basing whether or not I buy sous videing materials on how your steak comes out.

Why is reading so hard for you? After the sous vide, the steak rests. Medium rare starts at 129 and ends at 135-140 depending on source. The steak rests for about 10 minutes lowering the internal temperature. OP warmed the skillet in the oven then is going to put it on the stove and heat it further.

Steak out of bath and bag. Searing will begin in 5 minutes.

turning on fan and opening windows.

I believe in you OP

picture please. I am

>internal temperature lowers during rest

Are you under the impression that the final temp determines doneness? Do you think that if you put a well-done steak in the fridge after cooking it turns rare or something?

I weep for the cows wasted by idiots like yourself.

I don't understand how it's possible to be this stupid. The steak's internal and surface temperature are going to be the same. That's the point of sous vide, consistent temperature throughout. When you remove it from the 129° water bath there is only heat loss to the environment which is probably around 75°. There is no more cooking. What you're talking about makes sense in traditional preparation methods where you're heating the outsides to high temps and waiting or the internal temperature to rise. You have no idea what you're talking about. You still probably don't get it so I'll make it easier

-Heat steak to a consistent 129° throughout
-let rest about 10 minutes at room temp dropping the temperature a few degrees to around 120-125
-sear for less than 2 minutes raising the temperature by an insignificant amount leaving you within the medium rare range.

If you're saying 1 minute on each side will raise the temperature of the inside by over 10° you're insane.

Searing

god dammit post a picture of the pre-seared steak.

nice b8,but for any noobs who fall for it, it's called sous vide

now kill yourself

Holy shit why is this so hard to understand
129 is medium rare
It comes out of the bath at 129
It cools to 120, remains medium rare
Sear it from 120 internal temp till crust developed

In order to overcook it you need to get to medium temperatures which is 15-20 degrees above the 120. By it cooling down before searing you're giving yourself an extra degrees of freedom before it goes past medium rare.

Done.
I'll cut into in in a few minutes to see if I fucked it all up like all of you are hoping

Would you eat this steak?

>classic image.jpg
i'm not hoping you fucked it up. I want it to be perfect so I can spend some money on a new toy.

plus, you already fucked it up by paying a prime grade price for a choice grade cut.

Oh man, yeah I would

>classic image.jpg
ok guess I'll have to give this "sous vide" thingy a try.

Jesus, you're a fucking idiot. You let a steak rest AFTER you've completed cooking it, including the crust. There's obviously no carry over from a sous vide, but there's plenty from the sear. And since you've taken the steak to 129 you have no room for it.

Again, if you weren't too fucking retarded to use a thermometer you could quantify the amount of carry over you're getting from a 2 minute per side sear.

Of course a 2 minute per side sear is pretty much stupid with sous vide anyways, given the point is to reduce the inside outside heat transfer as much as possible. Thus why YOU USE A FUCKING TORCH. Instead you're basically combining the worst of both worlds to fuck up your steak.

Looks kinda good from the outside. Too bad you way overpaid for a """""""prime"""""" ribeye that looks like choice. Pic related is how it should look desu

wow, that looks amazing.

how does it taste?

youtube.com/watch?v=3HAMk_ZYO7g

It's damn good. Like everyone has observed, it ain't prime. And it doesn't taste like that melt in your mouth prime ribeye, but it's still damn good

"You don't need this goyim eat your soy"
Fuck off

Ok I can see you're too invested in this argument to concede so I'll just reply one last time and I'm done. Resting it after the initial sous vide doesn't bar you from testing it after searing. The first cooling gives you more searing time as well as juices to use for a pan sauce. There is literally no reason for me to know the exact temperature of the end product as long as it falls in my desired doneness (which it has always done). I said a max of 2 minute meaning 1 minute on each side at most. I own a blowtorch and it's infectious because you don't get any fond for a pan sauce.

Pupper wants a bite

stick to serving crap. Key is to NOT go over, not back and forth like a twat

No argument? I'll take that as a concession then.

>classic image.jpg

WHY ARE ALL THE JUICES ON THE CUTTING BOARD!

YOU COULDN'T WAIT ANOTHER 2 MINUTES, COULD YOU NIGGER?

>Not giving your cutting board a piece of the action

Selfish

good boy