How do you guys minimize the mess you make in the kitchen after cooking...

How do you guys minimize the mess you make in the kitchen after cooking? Is there anything in particular you do to reduce the number of pots and pans to wash after preparing a meal? Do you clean as you go? Use one pan as much as possible?

This might sound like a dumb question, but I'm really curious to see if there is any way to help keep this more manageable. Cooking is fun, but dealing with the dishes afterwards isn't, especially if you live alone.

I have some all purpose garbage brush that looks like a toilet wand. I scrub out pots and pans with it as I go and run whatever down the drain. I wash the stuff with soap later.

well, you see I clean my dished when I'm done

in the sink!

then throw away solids in the trash, and things that decompose in my compost

I usually clean dished as I go along

I rinse everything really well when I'm done cooking and put that shit in my dishwashing machine because I'm not a poor fucking troglodyte that has to wash my dishes by hand.

Brushes are a good idea. Replace often.

Oh man, I'm so jelly. I have a dishwasher but I fear that if I use it my water/electricity bill is going to skyrocket.

All the cut aways go on the left side of the cutting board, finished cuts go in bowls or stay on the board if possible.
Once you start cooking you have some seconds in between the process. Use this to get rid of the cut aways, wash out the bowls.
Have the spachelor on a little pad or paper.

Now for the good part.

Eat out of the pot, from the pan, whatever so you dont need no stupid plates. (depends on your food)

Immidiately wash your shit after you ate it, it will wash off much easier than after a while

I clean as I cook. Im always so unmotivated to clean after I eat if there is a big mess.

I keep the trash can near me for certain things. Peeling shrimp for example. Eggs, any meat I have to trim. Always take the trash out once Im done so I dont have rotting food in my house.

For veggies Im pretty lucky. I have about fifteen chickens, four ducks, and five growing turkeys. They looove vegetable scraps.

My biggest tip though is to soak pots and pans as soon as youre done using them. I hit them with a little dish soap and fill them with hot water. Makes it so much easier later.

>pre washing your shit instead of taking 4 extra seconds to finish

HAHAAHHAHAHAHHAH

>I have about fifteen chickens, four ducks, and five growing turkeys. They looove vegetable scraps.

user... please explain, you got me interested

I drizzle bacon grease on all scraps and pans and let my 29 cats go to town. (No I don't wash them at all afterward, a cat's tongue is cleaner than a bottle of rubbing alcohol!)

Clean your prep area as you go. Do the dishes and pots after you eat.

Not him, but I can explain. I keep a dozen ducks for eggs. In the winter they get most of our veggie scraps. In the summer, there is enough forage that I can compost out scraps for the garden.

The chicken/turkey/duck user here. This guy got it. Any vegetables that start to turn and mostly cut off vegetable ends from food prep go to the birds.

I have a big ass garden and have more melons, squash, tomatoes and junk than I can possibly eat. Even with canning and pickling.

Pic is me and one of my turkeys. You wouldnt think a turkey would be friendly, but those fuckers are so sweet and cute.

I just wash them out and put them in an jar with isopropyl in it. Never gets smelly.

Same man. Friend of mine said he once did it - they turned the lights off within a week because they were sure he's too poor to pay a bill like that.

I wash half of it as I cook.
Half at some point later.

This can go all to hell depending on what type of roommates I'm living with.

>dat asshole chin
also
>I have a big ass garden and have more melons, squash, tomatoes and junk than I can possibly eat. Even with canning and pickling.
Tried selling that shit?

Most of my meals go like this:
>brown rice or lentils to the boil in a saucepan
>dump in a 1kg bag frozen mixed vegetables
>crack in 3 eggs or eat some sardines out the can
>eat stew out the pot
>wash pot with soapy sponge

Pic related, I eat 2-3 bags of these a day. 89p at Aldi

>89p
even after Brexit?

Yup thank fuck, Tesco charge £1.30 for the same thing, can you believe that?

Dont be jelly of the chin. Pic related.

And nah, Ive never tried selling any of it. Im not sure how other parts of the US are but in the South a lot people just trade each other for different vegetables, fruits, and poultry/animal goods.

I have friends who grow a lot of peppers. Carolina Reapers, Thai chilis, Hungarians etc. I give them eggs and squash, they give me peppers. Other people have beans, pecans and things. It works pretty well. Especially during the winter because of how much I can.

If it wasnt for fucking FDA regulations Id love to sell me poultry meat. I process it myself. Talk about something delicious...99% of people have never had fresh poultry meat.

I'm the guy from ops pic. I just leave everything in big piles. Eventually when there is not more room I'll burn the house down and collect the insurance money

You would feel more at home on Veeky Forums. It doesn't seem you have much to say in terms of food and cooking.

buy a basin and a hose and wash them in there all at once.

This is OP. You do realise I found that off Google images under "kitchen mess", right?

Dont let this thread die plz. I wanna hear cleaning tips.

Instead of relyng on paper towels I use old t-shirts. When they get worn out I cut them up and use them as cleaning rags.

It saves a little bit of money, but the main point is just to cut down on wasting crap.

Clean as you go. It reduces the majority of the mess and fills the time between steps.

Guys, how often do you clean under the exhaust hood?

Never. I dont live in a restaurant

Very hot water, also replace the air filter every few years.

Or a house, apparently. I feel bad for those who have to use over-range microwave recirculators.

I didn't know you had to clean that thing until one day grease started dripping down from it. Now it gets dirty pretty fast (2 weeks give or take) and starts dripping grease; I believe there might be some residual gunk in the duct from all the months I didn't clean it.
TL;DR Clean it often, more often than you'd think.

one pot pastas.

problem solved.

I wait until it all piles up[ and I run out of shit to use then I am forced to wash it. Takes about 20 or so minutes to do.

>Do you clean as you go?
This. Emptied a pot or pan? Rinse it in hot, scrape , brush and wipe it if needed, rinse in cold, put away for drying or wipe with kitchen towel. It takes like 20 seconds to clean a hot pan after frying food and it's spottless by then.