How do I eat beans and rice every day or some other cheap as dirt shit without killing myself from malnutrition?

How do I eat beans and rice every day or some other cheap as dirt shit without killing myself from malnutrition?

Other urls found in this thread:

markbittman.com/too-hot-to-grill-try-the-slow-cooker/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Take a multivitamin?

By adding fresh vegetables to it like any normal human would do?

>Rice

Eat quinoa you dumb fuck

Quinoa is not cheap.

Then it's still your fault for being such a fucking Jew.

How do you not make the connection that eating low-nutrient food is bad for you?

You deserve malnutrition.

I said cheap as dirt for a reason

And lo and fucking behold, cheap food has no nutrients, no nutrients means malnourishment.

tl;dr you can't live solely on beans and rice

Yes you can.

He'd probably kill himself if he was forced to eat quinoa every day.

You can if you want to resemble an Auschwitz inmate

eat eggs with your rice and beans

Red beans and rice. Those cajuns know how to cook. I do it in a slow cooker in my dorm room.

Or you could just eat enough food.

hate to break it to you famalam but where do you think the 400lb mexicans are getting the weight

Obviously this. Green leafy things are cheap. Throw in a few fruits, too, so you don't miss out on too many vitamins.

What's the recipe you use like?

It's beans and Cajun seasoning. Anything else is optional (but obviously better.)

Just a jar of premixed blend from the spice aisle? Do you add sausage or whatever to it?

I really don't want to go dig it up right now but red beans and rice is pretty hard to fuck up.

Get a rice cooker fuck what these pretentious faggots say its the best 30$ I ever spent. Make rice in it like an hour before the red beans are done.

The night before get some red beans and soak them overnight in water. When you get home from work or whatever pour the water out and throw them in a slow cooker. Line the slow cooker with pam or olive oil or just buy liners.

put it on low and throw in a ham hock or two (makes a big difference), Cut up some andouille sausage (kielbasa if you can't find it but andouille is the shit) and fry it in a pan with garlic and onion. Throw that on top. Take some celery and bell peppers (I like to sub jalapenos for the bells) and throw those in as well. Salt/pepper/parsley/cajun or creole seasoning and cover it all in water or chicken broth. Cook until beans are done then mash the beans up a bit and pull the ham hock out. Pull the meat up off the hock and shred it real good then throw it back in with the half mashed beans and cook for another hour and that is it.

If you need to thicken it make a dark roux which is just butter and flour and throw that in until it is nice and thick. You just drop it over rice. Look up how to make a roux on youtube.

Do it 3-4x with recipes online and you will figure out how you like it. How salty/spicy you want it.

Damn good eating and its like 3 bucks a serving at most if you go the whole mile with it. Pic is some I made a few weeks back in my dorm.

beans + corn = complete protein

>believing the incomplete protein meme

Who were the Aztec and Maya for $1 Alex? They mainly ate corn and beans, but it is the same principle: a starch and beans. This has been a staple across cultures for millennia. Maize was also normally hulled to make hominy, which is even better.

holy fuck you're stupid

It's not just hulling - it needs to be nixtimalized to prevent pellagra.

They're called staples for a reason. They provide the bulk of your energy. Nobody said they provided the bulk of your nutrition.

Mix up the beans, add potatoes, oats, milk and a bag of your favorite citrus fruits to that list, and yeah, you're about 99% there.

I left out the fact that it was hulled with a base like wood ash, but yes you are correct. As I understand it, to be hominy it has to be made in this way.

Supplement with vegetables, meat, and dairy when possible? This is being a metabolic being 101 here. How do you not know how to eat to survive?

The point here is to keep it cheap. Rice and beans together are a complete protein that can be bought in large quantities at low prices. From the unrealistic starting point of all 2000 daily calories from rice and beans, replacing those calories with calories from other more nutritious sources will most likely be more expensive. Obviously it is necessary to get all the vitamins and minerals the body needs (plus fat not found in rice and beans), so I'm trying to figure out the right balance between price and nutrition.

>(plus fat not found in rice and beans)
If you're not cooking with olive oil (which is understandable from a purely economic perspective) you can get some fats from things like avocados which are pretty cheap and go really well with most bean dishes.

It is possible to live off of nothing but potatoes and butter.

Yeah, I was thinking of things like eggs, avocados, and cheese.

The thing is, most people don't really need to make calculations like this. So many people get by eating very few greens, and they do pretty okay. Your body is good at telling you when you're malnourished if you pay attention. Eggs are cheap. Add eggs to your diet and you're doing pretty fucking well. Then just get some cheap greens. Pick up a block of cheese, it's a couple bucks. It's not fucking hard. Frozen vegetables are like $1 for a bag that you can get at least two decent meals out of.

Everything else I listed is cheap. Five pound bag of potatoes for a dollar or two, bulk oats, whatever lemon/oranges/etc are on sale, some kind of dairy (doesn't have to be fresh milk.) And eggs of course. Frozen vegetables are preferable, and regularly a dollar or less per pound. Peanut oil for cooking.

Not sure about cheese prices, but eggs and avocados are pretty cheap and they're good for you. Basically just get some color in there with the beans and rice.
is right, you'll know when you need some nutrients. Frozen vegetables are a good way to get vitamins cheaply and with ease.

>people this stupid exist

why would you want frozen, though? Fresh carrots, potatoes and peas are dirt cheap.

He's eating beans and rice almost exclusively. I don't imagine he wants to cut or cook anything too tough.
Also the frozen varieties of some vegetables are cheaper than the 'fresh' veggies at the supermarket. Bell peppers are usually a lot cheaper frozen. It's probably a different story if you have a local farmers' market.

They keep longer. Also it's easy to point at a bag of frozen vegetables priced at $1 and say, "Look dude, that's $1. You can afford $1 to survive."

Also, I keep frozen vegetables at all times, because you never know when they might come in handy. Frozen peas can pick up a dish right quick and require no planning whatsoever.

By eating other things with those beans and rice.

Put some effort into your shitposts.

As other shave said, add veggies. Or take a vitamin supplement.

I eat a lot of beans and rice too. I never thought it to be unnutritious. You have your protein and your carbs. Maybe you could add a hot dog to it sometimes. I like poaching a couple of eggs in the rice pot. It's very good.

Have you considered ramen? For ramen I also recommend you eat
it with poached eggs. Hot dogs are a great cheap meat source. If you boil them with the ramen it will make the borth much stronger and good.

Holy shit that sounds delicious. Totally going to cook it and try

Just switch to lentils and rice, problem solved.

I eat beans every single day, its hella cheap, but the way i mix thigns up is with load of frozen and fresh vegetables; okra, cilantro, peppers, squash, etc. the only problem i have is protien, and thast where an egg or some chicken comes into play.

It's not really a shit post.
Prices vary from place to place so it's hard to recommend things. There are people in this thread suggesting avacado and those are expensive where I am. Yet lobsters cheaper then beef for me.

Also, adding snow peas to either dish is an easy to add some vitamins and flavor.

>not believing in science
westboro whitetrash confirmed

You're both wrong and need more biology classes

It really is great and pretty hard to fuck up. Ham hocks and andouille are what make it though, try not to skimp on those.

>vegetables

explain.

How do you poach an egg in the rice cooker?

multivitamin + glass of skim milk.

rice is nasty, switch to bread.

The only "cheap as dirt" part that applies to quinoa is that it tastes like dirt

Nobody uses a roux in red beans. if you need one then you added to much liquid

Ask if your cooking for 3 hours you don't need to soak the beans overnight

Green leafy things have to be some of the most expensive food in the world

You won't die, but you may experience some adverse affects from insufficient vitamins and minerals. Throw in some cheap frozen veggies, and that problem is solved.

Seriously? I can go to Walmart right now and buy a huge bundle of collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, or whatever for under $2.

mustard greens and collard greens and escarole tend to be super cheap near me

Kale or spinach tho, is very expensive

You can sometimes get stuff like romaine or red leaf lettuce pretty cheap if the store had some left over that they just want to get rid of

From too much sugary shit. It ain't the rice and beans, dude.

Clearly an idiot, but in case you're not shitposting

The cheapest foods tend to be the healthiest, especially legumes, nuts, seeds and vegetables. Buy in season and get more nutrients and minerals for less money. Buy whole grains and spend less for more, etc.

Stop being retarded and start eating properly.

Collards are 33¢-99¢/lb in my area. Kale and spinach are both 99¢/lb. Dandelion and escarole are $1.29/lb. Mustard greens are never fucking sold whole, only in the prewashed, precut bags and are $1.99/lb. I've never seen turnip greens fresh, but they're $1.99/lb frozen.

Radish greens are difficult to price because I only see them sold as part of those tiny, daikon-like radishes used to make chonggakkimchi, but the radishes themselves with greens attached are 49¢/lb.
And while we're on the topic of Asian greens, yuchoi is 99¢/lb, yuchoi tips/choi sum are $1.99/lb, mustard cabbage is 69¢/lb, baby bok choi is $1.29/lb as is good, mature spinach.

The most expensive greens I see commonly are pea tips/shoots. They're $3.99/lb.

Greens are dirt cheap.

Broth and stock are your best friends in this regard.

desu Water Sanitation prob isn't a thing in Mexico, but it's not like I would know, I never left NY in my life

>You can't live on the most nutritious staple foods adopted by nearly every culture in the world

Humans can survive on only potato and milk

use this information to your money saving advantage

And oats. You've got to have oats, too.

>If you need to thicken it

>Avocados
>Cheap
Eggs!

I like your style, but I would suggest mixing up the meals a bit. Having the same food for every meal every day for a week is depressing. Vary the type of grain and veg and perhaps alternative between turkey and chicken so that every meal is slightly different. Takes a bit more work, but I think it must be worth it.

Buy dried beans in bulk
Buy rice in bulk
Buy oats in bulk
Buy frozen veg like green beans, broccoli, etc
Buy second choice (oxtail, heart, liver, etc) or sale meat (if meat is on sale buy more than you usually would and individually portion and freeze it)
Also get some eggs
Buy cheap fresh produce like cabbage, potato, onion, apple, etc
For canned food do tomatoes, and other long lasting ingredients instead of soups
Go scout out your local asian/mexican/indian market for some cheap bulk spices/rice/beans/etc

Drink water, or tea instead of milk or juice

Cut down on meat, and have one or two days a week where you don't eat any meat at all and sub in some other protein instead
Be creative with your weekly menu - reuse leftovers, use leftover ingredients from one meal to use in the next, etc
Turn leftover mashed potatoes into potato pancakes for example, or leftover chickpeas into curry or falafel

Keep an eye out for coupons and store sales, but make sure not to buy something only because it's on sale.
Stay away from processed foods as much as possible try to make your own food - it will almost always be cheaper.

gross

Forgot to add, occasionally buy a whole chicken and use it for multiple meals. Buying it whole is cheaper than buying thighs, wings, breasts, etc separately.
Use the bones too, don't just throw them out. Use it to make stock, and use that stock to make homemade soup, spaghetti sauce, enchiladas, whatever you want.

What "some other protein" would be enough to replace meat in a meal while also being cheap enough to eat regularly?

Different things spread throughout the day:
Chickpeas, eggs, beans, oats, broccoli/other veg
As long as you are regularly getting enough B12 and protein throughout the week, one or two days without meat will help save money without negatively impacting diet.

Slow cooker recommendations please?

>thread about cheap eating
>73 posts
>not one single mention of hunting, fishing or foraging

See this little fucker right here? its a plantain. This plant or a plant very similar to this grows wild near you.

"This resilient little weed grows like crazy. It is known to be beneficial for respiratory conditions such a bronchitis and coughs. It is high in vitamins C, E and K as well as being high in plant protein and iron"

Learn to identify some common wild edibles around you and there is no reason you need to buy any food other than rice and beans.

cook the sausage before serving and mix it in. Just use some Tony's for the seasoning.

Discount chicken thighs, black pepper and apple cider vinegar make a pretty cheap and delicious bbq. Hell what I usually do is I buy the meat that has browned a little bit or has been marked down because it is about to go "bad" (by supermarket standards) and just chuck it in my slow cooker with broth and veggies. Yields large portions too so it lasts a while.

I mean the cooker itself.

get a slow cooker and read this:

markbittman.com/too-hot-to-grill-try-the-slow-cooker/

you'll eat well

And then there's this retard who thinks everybody has 16 hours a day to forage for about 1% of the food he could just buy if he had a fucking job.

In that case just grab any cheap one you can find, they all do the same thing. You typically want a 4-quart and up cooker. Anything smaller is just a glorified pot.

Not that dude.
But I've been working 5ish hours a week and I've found plenty of time to forage. I keep an eye out while I'm out amd about and go for em when I have time. Or I take a short weekend hiking trip to collect mushrooms. Plus things like dandelions and lambs quarters are fucking everywhere.

eat only potatos.

you will lose weight and still be pretty healthy.

well real men work more than 5 hours.

K forget about everything that has been said here in this thread.

Rice and beans is a very good start. Beans are very healthy and supermarket usually have like 6 different kinds and that's good for nutrition. Try lentils too.

Try adding small pieces of cucumber and or tomato to the rice, cheap and very very healthy.

With cheap peanut butter and some milk, salt and pepper you can make decent peanut sauce, Should take you a long way taste wise.

You can also add some corn if you like.

Buy some prawn crackers and you've got yourself a good tasting oriental meal.

I ate this for around 8 months every day never got sick of it

Frozen Spinach is cheap. Last time i checked, it was 50-90% cheper than meat by weight.
Onion are literally cheap.
Brokkoli is somewhat cheap.
Peas are super cheap.
Cabbage is super cheap.
Lime and lemon is cheap as fuck.
Oranges are cheap since they started boating them around the world.

The only expensive stuff is pre cut salads, isberg and leafy water.

>the current year
>outing yourself as a deutschbag
How embarrassing.

Variety. Buy whatever the cheapest foods that are in season are. Things like sweet potato are dirt fucking cheap and nutritious, beans and lentils of course too. Greens when you can get them cheap, they're pretty much all good. Fermented food is good too and easy to make, shit like sauerkraut or if you're willing to do a faction more work kimchi, or just giardiniera or whatever.

Also meat, gotta have meat. Shit like pork butts or brisket are

1: Yes you can.
2: There are tons of dirt cheap, nutritious foods.

>second choice (oxtail, heart, liver, etc
These meats are all fucking delicious btw.

I could eat a fuck ton of fried liver. Chicken hearts are like meat popcorn. Oxtails and beef hearts make awesome soups and stews.

Guess I'm glad they're considered second choice, they're all good AF.

Oh and chicken gizzards, they're tough and chewy but in a good way. Fried gizzards with hot sauce are fucking great.

But aren't those weird meats harder to prepare? Especially if I only have access to a slow cooker

Liver is a nice treat, but I wouldn't make it a staple of my diet. Holy shit is organ meat bad for you.

I drink lots of vodka. That cleans out my system, and even cleans my teeth (I haven’t brushed in years, and haven’t had a cavity since).

I also eat a liverwurst sandwich pretty much every day – to counterbalance the effects the vodka has on my liver. I make my sandwiches on seeded rye (because it’s the healthiest bread), with mayo (because eggs are the best protein; I use kewpie, because the msg makes it taste better), coarse mustard (good for the white blood cells), zucchini pickles (because they taste good), and a bunch of baby spinach (just for filler; it could honestly be left out).

I also eat a lot of canned fish (mostly sardines, but also the occasional fancy smoked oysters) on saltines. They give you all your essential amino acids, and provide a nice opportunity to try out various hot sauces, which are generally very low in calories, while high in flavor and immensely prodigious to healthiness.

Aside from that, I drink large amounts of water (anywhere between ice-cold to slightly chilled) every day, always through a straw, and sometimes with a lemon wedge.

To each their own, I say, but I’m just shy of 30 and am doing better than most of you.

How do you store it? Freeze it?

Your liver probably says otherwise and your breath probably smells awful but thanks for the self-righteous rant

mash a cup of the beans, mix with some of the liquid until a smooth paste, then mix that in with the rest of the beans for the last 1/2 hr or so of cooking.

Add an inch of water, crack eggs, turn it on.
Will probably require some experimentation depending on your particular rice cooker.
One of the more advanced multifunction models like a higher-end Aroma or a Zoji will have a simmer button that will take care of it.