Hey Veeky Forums I have a roommate problem. I just got a brand new cast Iron as a gift. Used it a few times...

Hey Veeky Forums I have a roommate problem. I just got a brand new cast Iron as a gift. Used it a few times. I tend to have to watch my kitchen shit as my roommate likes to just destroy everything.

Needless to say, I'm on edge about them using my shit. Today, my roommate heated up my cast iron to 750 degrees to sear his steak. Asked him not to, but he did it anyway. I'm nervous this will become the new way he cancer-izes all of his pork and beef. He swears it's "totally fine".

Before I have to be a complete fag and either take my pan away (all of his are fucked, he fucked the coating on my other ones) or seriously ask him not to use it...am I getting worked up about nothing? Worked he's going to just cook all the seasoning away on it.

If he fucked up the other ones, make him use those instead.

I don't know much about steak, but 750 sounds too high. Looked on google and first thing I read was 400-550 degrees

Thats as hot as a household stove can get to
No idea how OPs roommate is doing it

How did he get it up to 750 degrees?

You should have your pan as hot as possible when searing steak. I always stick mine on high on the largest burner for like 3 minutes before I drop my steak in. Maximises ratio of maillard to cooking time, meaning the heat has less time to penetrate and overcook the meat.

But he already cooked it, he was searing it afterwards.

tell him to use a torch

Don't be a pussy user, tell him once not to do it. If he does or again take it away. I had to do that with my flatmates when they kept using my knives to pry open cans.

I used a thermal temp gun just like pic, so its at least pretty close., the nhe kept it on for at least another minute.

>using my knives to pry open cans.

>room mate broke my other shit
>I still let him use my new shit

Your hob isn't going to hurt your pan but you should really grow a pair and tell him to stop using your shit.

>750 degrees

750 shouldn't ruin the seasoning unless you leave it on that temp for extended periods of time without anything in it. I.e oils, meats, etc. I chuck my pans on the largest hob at the highest temp whenever i'm searing my steaks.

It should be fine at 750 for 5-10mins without anything in it, unless you hit the 900 degrees range, which is like the oven's self-cleaning temp range, which shouldnt be possible on a regular hob.

Why are roommates such shits? Just have a policy where everybody cooks with their own cookware.

This. You can use a cast iron pan on a fucking campfire, a home stove should be no trouble if you're not a tool.

I'm pretty sure I've left my camping lodge cast iron on red hot fires for hours without care.

That's what a fucking cast iron pan is for. You can't wreck a cast iron unless you get it all rusted or some shit.

You can't really wreck it, period. Even if you were to burn off the seasoning or get it rusty then you can simply clean it and re-season.

Pic related, pre-heating a CI pan on a 300,000 BTU burner for making blackened catfish. The pan is literally glowing red hot when it's ready to go.

I'm curious how that turned out. Did it warp the pan at all? Any noticeable differences when cooking? Did the catfish turn out tasty?

>warp

It is a slab of iron, not shitty ali

>750 degrees
OP has a jet engine for a stove

you need a fucking powerful torch to get a good sear, using a kitchen torch to do that shit is fucking memetastic, it's not creme fucking brulee

This sounds more like an problem

You really need to grow a pair. Whether it ruins the pan or not (which it shouldn't), you told him not to use it and he did, stand up for yourself. You don't need to provide a reason for the requests you make of your own personal property since its yours

I always sear my steaks in cast iron on the highest heat.

Don't be such a pussy OP it's not gonna hurt the pan.

>don't be such a pussy
>let other people use your stuff without your permission and do nothing about it

>ruin the seasoning
Just wash it you disgusting caveman

Why you running your flame so yellow? Guess a little extra cancer doesn't matter any more for blackened catfish though.

this is what cast iron is meant to do, moron

>post anti-cast iron/pro teflon pan information in ck threads
>people lose their shit
>cast iron is the best
>it can't be hurt
>its god pan
>there is a "my poor cast iron is so delicate" thread every 2 days

>mfw

I can understand why op is so protective of his pan. Yea sure the pan itself is going to be fine from daily use. But its the seasoning thats a pain to maintain. It takes awhile before you get that glossy black non stick finish that even does sunny side ups.

All it takes is a dumbass to scrap it off with a metal spatula or burns it off by leaving it on the heat with nothing in it for too long to ruin it.

>got my mom a cast iron pan for her birthday one year
>she never uses it anymore
:(

Sucks, maybe its an age thing.
My 60 year old mom uses cast iron pans her grandma used.