French Onion Soup

I rarely get on this board but I need some help and you guys seem pretty level-headed.

Do you guys have any tips on how to make French Onion Soup? I'm supposed to cook for it for my family tonight, but the last time I tried cooking it I under-sauteed the onions and put a billion kale leaves into the broth. Is there any advice or lesser-known things that I can do to make it so that we're not just eating regular onions in a broth?

Other urls found in this thread:

rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyles/cook-s-illustrated-simplifies-classic-french-onion-soup/article_90a96f15-2195-520a-9396-b14d9a3a5e19.html
youtube.com/watch?v=FnKk2VTXlCM
juliachildsrecipes.com/soup/julia-childs-french-onion-soup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You need to set aside at least a couple of hours to properly caramelize the onions before you even begin the rest of the preparation. Also, why the fuck are you putting kale anywhere near French onion soup?

French? I like my 'ion 'oup 'go style, with lotsa tomato sauce.

I saw a recipe that had a couple of leaves. I thought I just put too many in. Should I just keep them out? Also, do I really need to caramelize the onions for two whole hours? Wouldn't that burn them?

Sorry, I'm new to this.

Cook your onions on medium-low for a few hours with butter or olive oil.

>kale

What the fuck

Just caramelize onions slowly until they're chocolate brown and dump beef stock on top with bay leaves and thyme and then after simmering it for 30-60 minutes pour it into bowls with toasted baguette slices covered in mozzarella or white cheddar or gruyère if you're feeling rich

I don't know what kind of drug you were on when you added kale to the soup but you should probably seek help

Yes, it will burn them. That's good.

Home made beef stock, or better yet, demi glace. You have to caramelize the onions, not just sautee. Then, of course, good bread and cheese to melt over the top.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing with kale leaves. It's just two ingredients in the soup (with seasonings), then a bread and cheese topper.

>kale leaves
You sure you don't mean bay leaves?

Just throw a ton of onions into a pot with a few tablespoons of oil on medium-lowish heat and let it slow fry, stirring it frequently enough that it doesn't burn for an hour or two. You can add a couple tablespoons more oil if the onions are getting dry too fast and you can stir in a tablespoon of sugar towards the end to really finish the caramelization process

Your goal is onions that are dark brown throughout and extremely mild-sweet and tender. If they end up quickly turning yellow-white with black on the outside you fucked up and made fried onions by adding too much heat

Don't use sugar, use wine.

rapidcityjournal.com/lifestyles/cook-s-illustrated-simplifies-classic-french-onion-soup/article_90a96f15-2195-520a-9396-b14d9a3a5e19.html

Do you mean for deglazing? I usually scrape up with wine/dry vermouth after I add the sugar. The sugar basically has the exact opposite effect because it makes everything stick to the pot

Deglaze, except you add a shitload more than just to deglaze, then reduce.

Here OP
youtube.com/watch?v=FnKk2VTXlCM

Sorry, I did add bay leaves, not kale. Apparently I don't even know the names of the ingredients I'm using.

>you guys seem pretty level-headed.

You clearly don't come here often

Sounds like you just failed at making the onions then

Caramelized onions are really easy, you just have to be patient. There is no technique besides keeping the heat low and stirring, and waiting

>Didn't even quote the user that corrected him

Why don't you make a good soup instead of that shitty dishwater

This. To add to this, some people do larger batches in a slow cooker because it's basically impossible to fuck up. It'll take longer, though

'go 'za

>kale
>mfw
juliachildsrecipes.com/soup/julia-childs-french-onion-soup/

Sorry.

Came here to post it

Tis foolproof.

There should not be leaves in French onion soup, any kind. Saute is the wrong method for preparing the onions. They take a long time to carmelizero, because the low and slow cooking is what convertido the moléculas in the onion into sweater, more complex ones. I believe you would ideal lying carmelize them for even longer than two hours. Other than that, the broth should contain no large solids aside from the floated bread and cheese.

Aw baby likes Campbell's chicken noodle soup

Ayy lmao that autocorrect

This thread is so full of shitty and contrary advice, I'm not even going to bother posting.

OP, sorry.

>dishwater
^this, go back to making that recipe for the casserole you got from mom that includes canned green beans and cream of mushroom soup and funion garnish pleb

>I'm not even going to bother posting.
Then how the fuck am I reading this? How are you so retarded you can even fuck up doing literally nothing?

*posting advice*

Is that better, sperggie? Can you not infer meaning?

what a faggot lmao. how can anyone take this dude seriously?

you should probably just stick to the powdered stuff

>I'm going to post in an anonymous image board that I do not intend to contribute to the thread.
Cool, where's the upvote button? I want to send some karma your way.

I guess your selective reading ability kept you from understanding the reason why I decided not to give any advice. Damn, you're dumb.

You have no advice to give. Go back under your bridge.

Get a room, faggots.

This is the most European thing I have ever seen. I feel like I have been fucked by his voice.

How was your first time?

I actually start by baking the onions in a Dutch oven before anything else. Deglazing with wine is best and I prefer the texture of the onions when they're cut end to end.

I laffed

im french and i m very confused by his accent. it totally sounds like an american guy imitating a french guy speaking english, not a french genuinely speaking english with a french accent. faking an accent would be very lame. If he's genuinely french then the guy is weird as fuck.

He might be from Belgium