/Bread Bread/

Just finished another batch of my ciabatta. Pretty rustic looking, and also pretty flat so I can fit it in the toaster when sliced horizontally.

I always let my sponge/biga/bug/starter sit for 2 days, and the main batch was mixed this morning, and has been rising and knocked back and rising again for the last 8 hours or so.

Bread anons, get in here, post bread, etc.

Also the margarine in my pic isn't mine... but the Turkish coffee is!

>rustic looking
mcfucking kill yourself

>my bread doesn't look like a mass produced loaf
>it's fucking rustic looking guys

Wow it looks so rustic

I'm fucking obsessed with yeast rolls.

>looks like shit
>its le rustic guys!!

>rustic
There's that word again.

OP here. Fuck every single one of you. All I wanted to do was contribute some OC to this miserable board, and all of you have to shit all over me.

Yeah my bread is rustic, so fucking what? It just happens to be my preferred style of cooking. Now if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, then go shit up someone elses thread. Thanks!

Oh yeah I forgot that all people who think they're "le master chef" hate the word rustic

Not OP btw

Actual OP here. I'm a faggot

fuck off OP, you can't bake

OP is a faggot

Looks good.

Ignore the trolls.

It looks shitty, user.

(thats not OP)

Ok fine faggot.

How does it taste? Are you satisfied with it?

Texas roadhouse rolls with cinnamon, honey butter?

> OP posts shitty attempt at "bead"
> tries to call it "rustic"
> gets all pissy when called out on it

you can only be a better cook when you admit your food is sometimes shit

If one plans on making homemade bread on a consistent basis, is a bread machine worth the investment or should you just stick with a quality bread pan and your oven?

I usually don't do expensive unitaskers but I recently got a rice cooker and it blew my fucking mind so I'm trying to stay a little more open now.

The bread is fine, tastes delicious, serves my purpose.

isn't actually OP, so I never really "got pissy"
This is Veeky Forums, people will deride even the best things just for lolz. I know that, I dont take offense.

>bread machine

you can't get the nice crusty french/italian bread from a bread machine. you need an oven for that.

bread machines tend to make nice soft slice bread & steam buns, that's about it.

But does it do soft breads better than you can get in an oven?

That's mostly what I'd be making as I tend to not like hard breads.

Better? No. Easier? Yes.

I don't care which.

The one's from Texas Roadhouse, or Golden Corral, or any place with nice, fluffy, buttery yeast rolls, they can just have my money.

It looks like a fucking dog's dinner.

Looks like shit senpai.

Dinner rolls are my favorite bread to make, they're so damn tasty. Potato rolls are especially good.

>shit appearance = shit taste
Average Veeky Forums poster.

Never implied that, I said it looks like shit.

Stay insecure.

Looks tasty. If it wasn't so unhealthy, I would eat nothing but fresh bread and butter for many meals.

Just a tip though, when you post bread you've made you should cut a slice to show the crumb.

brad makes you fat

Here you go, the crust is veeeerry crusty.

Not as many bubbles as ciabatta should have, probably because I dont let it prove in the loaves, but if it was any higher I wouldn't be able to fit it in the toaster though so suits me pretty well.

>Everyone dissing my bread
>no one posting their own
Do any of you guys even bake?

Lots of us bake, but bread threads are always really slow and tend to last like 10+ days. Then FF shows up and discourages everyone with his beautiful loaves. I usually don't take pictures of the bread I make. But this is a semolina loaf from Bread Bakers Apprentice. I've changed a lot about the recipe. The pre ferment uses my levain instead of commercial yeast and I add some stretch and folds instead of kneading it as long. I also upped the salt content, as all of Peter Reinhart's recipes seem to be slightly lacking in salt. These guys make great toast

and here are my 75% hydration sourdough mini baguettes

Looks daaaaamn good!

holy shit user what book/recipe did you follow to get there? those look amazing!

I really wanna get into bread baking

>that dense ass crumb
that's not a ciabatta m8. I'm very intrigued by how you managed such a flat loaf with such dense crumb.

How did you get such great spring on those? My high hydration doughs never seem to rise much in the oven

The book I mentioned, bread bakers apprentice, is where I started learning about bread. But the internet is an even better resource, places like thefreshloaf etc. have excellent recipes and tutorials.
For that specific recipe, stretch and folds are the key to getting the crumb like that. And with baguettes you always bake them at what could be considered slightly under proofed if you want good oven spring and some ears. Steam is also very important and the most difficult thing to get enough of for the home baker. I spray my oven and also throw a bit of water directly on the bottom of it near the heating element. It's bad for the oven in the long term though. I've found the pan of water in the bottom to be insufficient.

The first few times I made that recipe I got almost no oven spring, so I know what you mean

That's more dense than my 100% whole wheat sourdough.

Awesome, thanks for the info. What do you proof your loaves on, and how do you transfer it into the oven? I've been using a couche with rice flour but I still get some sticking sometimes, which causes the loaf to deflate after removing it from the couche.

Should Veeky Forums make a friendship yeast starter? We could ship it to each other lol.

My bread-loving in-laws came to visit so I sent them off with:

>no-rise oatmeal molasses bread
>challah
>buttermilk bread, 3/4 all purpose 1/4 rye

I'll have to post pics next time.

I've never tried baking with semen before

>2 days
>8 hour rise

Jesus fuck, no wonder you ended up with that sad fucking puddle of "bread"

So... you're not supposed to let the bread rise?
couple hours of rising, knock it back, couple more, knock it back, couple more hours for final rise. If I had let the final rise be in the loaf form there would probably be a lot more height but its not really what I'm aiming for.

For that steam what do you guys think about putting a baking stone on the bottom rack and pouring water on it? This way it wont hurt your oven and youd get steam right?

Made these yesterday, it's just simple bread.

learn proper bread making techniques

Be careful when doing that, some stones will shatter with rapid temperature changes

Yeah dude don't do this to anything hot, ever.

You could get the same effect out of a preheated cookie sheet and some ice cubes.

That's what I do except I just pour the water on the floor oven - as user says you can shatter a hot stone by pouring cold water on it, the same applies to the glass in your oven door if there is any.

I appreciate the kind words, but your bread is every bit as beautiful as mine.

My GF just made this dill seed dinner roll-style load of bread

I took these 20% cornmeal, 20% whole wheat, sourdough sandwich loaves out of the oven about 2 hours ago, enjoying my late night repast.

Is this a joke? Please tell me it's a joke

Going to try making my first homemade bread today, Veeky Forums

Anything I should know before I fuck it up?

So leave the started for 1 day, then only let the bread rise once, cut it into loaves and let it rise a second time?

Any ciabatta recipes you guys would recommend?

Here's some rolls. I make a batch once a week. With some nice smoked ham, butter and cheese it makes for a pretty nice and quick breakfast, lunch or even a midnight snack.

>/Bread Bread/

Does cinnamon rolls count?

Last time I tried to make a fluffy crusty white load, it turned into something indistinguishable from ciabatta.

What did I do wrong.

>fluffy crusty white load
plz this is a blue board

The two most common causes would be not having enough gluten/gluten development to hold the dough together, or your hydration percentage was too high.

Not him, but I agree that if your final proof is taking 8 hours you're making a mistake, probably not enough yeast. Using preferments, and retarding your bulk ferment by keeping the dough in a refrigerator, are great for developing flavor, but there's nothing gained from making your final proof take a long time. A long final proof is inconvenient, but more importantly the taste and color of your finished bread will suffer if you allow the yeast to consume all available sugars, and in extreme cases can lead to the loss of gluten (proteolysis). You should use enough yeast/make sure your starter is very active, so that the final proof doesn't take more than a couple hours.

I didn't actually do a final proof. Let dough rise for a couple hours, knock back, rise couple hours, then transfer to oiled bowl and let rise an hour or so, turn out onto bench, cut and bake.

There wasn't any time prooving in loaf form.

Looks undercooked.

First time i made bread today, turned out not too bad, but it was a bit heavy/thick in the middle and didnt rise as much as i hoped during cooking.
Should i add more yeast next time, or not knead it as much after the first proving? Im not sure

OP Here, I cut out the last prooving stage and instead let it sit in loaf form for a bit, the results are drastically different. Still not as holey as ciabatta should be, but much more height. Also baked it on 220C instead of 210C.

Do you guys keep back a small amount of dough as a starter for the next batch, or just make a fresh starter each time? I've heard people say you should keep back part of the dough (in the old days they called this "leaven" and would preserve it in salt while it wasn't being used)

Both of your breads are extremely dense, you need to add more liquid to the dough if you want them to expand nicely in the oven and have a more open crumb.

As for the leaven/yeast question, it really depends what you want to achieve - saving a little bit of dough from batch to batch works really well and is the simplest way to leaven bread as long as you're baking the same recipe on a regular basis. Sourdough starter is a culture you keep alive perpetually by feeding it with floor and water, it takes about two weeks to start one before you can reliably bake with it. Either kind of levain should be stored in a jar or crock. In the past, people carried sourdough with them in small bottles when they traveled. Under no circumstances should you put pack any kind of starter or dough in salt, this will kill the yeast.

my last bread. forgot to slash

>Should i add more yeast next time, or not knead it as much after the first proving? Im not sure

*proofing.

No more yest, those beasties reproduce like mad and you should have enough. Try an extra couple of spoonfuls of water; the dough should be sticky enough that you need to flour your hands to handle.

Knead five or six minutes for the first time, and after you punch it down for a couple of minutes. At this time separate the dough, if you are making more than one loaf/roll/whatever, and shape it.

Let it rise, covered with a cotton rag, for a couple of hours. Bake.

Let me know how that works for you!

Good luck.

Bread my mom made

Best is when she puts walnuts in it. Not really a fan of the raisin or olive bread

fukn gorgeous dude

tx man. different poster, same problem. i use dry yeast but always have a bread that is wayyy to dense, i figured it was because i use way too little water, but couldn't explain it to myself.

are there any other trix for making the bread less dense? more thorough kneading?

i always put a lil metal bowl with water in my oven when i bake, does that help? i herd it keeps the loaf moist.

as for the sourdough starter: should i keep it in a roomtemp place or store it in the fridge after 1 - 2 weeks and put it out everytime i use it?

that looks so good man

Why is your wall made of particle board, and why do you set bread on the floor?

It's the counter visible in the top left image

This setup looks sick as fuck what are you Italian?

Yes actually, but only by birth cause my mom is Italian. This is in my backyard in Eastern Yuropoor

If you want to bake breads with an open crumb, hydration is the most important factor, but you also need strong flour with enough gluten, proper technique to develop that gluten, and proper technique when shaping loaves.

Adding steam to your oven (I splash a cup of water on the floor of my oven, more effective than putting a bowl of water in) allows the crust to expand without tearing during the initial expansion and at high baking temps produces a thicker, crispier crust.

How you should keep your sourdough depends on how frequently you want to bake with it: if you're going to bake every day, keep it at room temperature so it stays active all the time, but if you only bake once a week it makes sense to keep it in a refrigerator it so that you're not constantly refreshing it and wasting flour.

those ones look exactly like baguettes made by pro baker; good job

Try adding molasses and a dash of vinegar into the dough roll out into slippers and bake on the first proof

This thread makes me want to try making bannock again.

For what purpose

Ausfag here. At trade school. We made this today. All made with natural leaven.

if I am baking a ciabatta or a bread of similair size based on white flour, what temperature would be ideal? I use 220c* at first and then tone it down to 200c* after ~20min to ~30min. how long would you usually bake a loaf made with ~500g flour?

you american, bro? if you are i'll just convert for convenience,

these look gorgeous my man, especially the dark one with a lot of flour on it (on the right). sourdough and rye flour?

I get fairly crusty french/italian bread out of my bread machine, but if you really wanted to go hardcore, just do the dough in the machine, then take it out, whack it in a pan and put in the oven for le crustiness

I know this will sound really fucking dumb, but bear with me:

I don't fucking get yeast at all. Whenever I see a recipe, it says to put the yeast in warm water to let it activate or whatever, but it never tells me how much water to use, what temperature the water should be, and how long I should let it sit.

Could anyone illuminate it for me? The last time I tried to make bread, it came out ridiculously dense, and I'd like to avoid that next time.

>> but it never tells me how much water to use,
The exact amount is not important. It needs to be enough to fully moisten the yeast--you want it "runny" rather than a paste. Beyond that, exactness doesn't matter.

>>temperature
Warm, but not hot. If the water is boiling hot then it will kill the yeast.

>>how long I should let it sit.
Again, exactness isn't important here. 5-10 minutes is good. Longer won't hurt but is unnecessary.

tell me your trade secrets

Nom nom

OP you are from NZ/AUS? I see meadow fresh buttery taste marg....good man.

BurntBurnt

>bread machine
I only use my bread machine to knead the dough.

Then I take it out of the bread machine, put it in a bread pan, and let it rise, then bake...

I bake baguettes, ciabatta, etc. at 230 and they take 20-25 minutes for me with a preheated baking stone.

Previous user is right that it doesn't really matter how much water you use to make sure the dried yeast are active, just use a portion of the liquid from the overall recipe and keep track of the total measure as you go. Use lukewarm water (boiling water will kill yeast, cold water can give an innaccurate result because yeast activity depends on temperature).

looks good to me

>complementing someone for buying margarine

You might be the dumbest cuck on Veeky Forums

>I bake baguettes, ciabatta, etc. at 230 and they take 20-25 minutes for me with a preheated baking stone.

that means I have to increase temp a little and reduce baking time a little. thanks!

Thanks mate, must be bad lighting, that was a semolina made with a stiff levain...

Best thing I've learnt is the science - at that point everything clicked

yeah I'm NZ but fuck margarine. Butter is superior.

Best thing to have on toast though: Hummus. The lisa's morrocan carrot hummus and their jalapeno and lime are based af

Molasses is denser in sugars and a few vitamins that the yeast utilises the vinegar helps the crust form a tawny colour slower by limiting oxidation.