I tried to make some weeaboo food like in one of my japanese animes how did I do?

I tried to make some weeaboo food like in one of my japanese animes how did I do?

Looks OK, except for the green beans. Those are pretty much unheard of in Japanese curry. I have no idea how it tastes though...

tastes really good but I've never eaten the real stuff so can't compare

>tastes really good

Well, then that's all there is to it. Who cares what we think if you enjoyed it?

well if anyone here has any tips from their previous experiences I'm not against improving it for next time

What boullion taste can I use if I don't have the Japanese chocolate bar looking thing?

I was able to find the real stuff at a little asian store. Most cities have them.

The instant curry blocks are NOTHING like bullion. Not even close.

Instead you could make a roux and then add some curry powder, ideally a Japanese brand like S&B. It won't be exactly the same but it will be close. Japanese curry is a knockoff of British Navy-ration curry, which itself is a knockoff of various Indian dishes, so it's pretty far removed from the original "curry".

Though to be honest it's probably easier just to mail-order some of the Japanese stuff. It's cheap and lightweight so it's no big deal to ship it.

>Just like my Japanese Animes!
I love you user.

Get on Youtube and watch the "Begin Japanology" episode on Curry.

... that looks like campbells chunky soup

Doesn't look bad. Except the rice has a bit too much water

you're right the rice is just the cheapest stuff I happened to have in the cupboard. as for the water I think that's an illusion. it's actually quite thick at least once it cooled down enough to eat. I measured it to match the instructions

its fine

They're like $7 on Amazon for that brand.

But OP, like he said there is a very large difference between the original and Japanese curry. Japanese curry is much sweeter (in general).

I used the S&B hot stuff and the only additional seasoning I added was some salt, a fresh chili pepper and a clove of garlic

I'm more into Indian and Bengali curry, but I'll buy some of that and give it a go, thanks.

what part of this curry makes it japanese

it's a japanese curry

something to do with british trade in the 1800s

The flavor and the choice of ingredients. It's midly spicy, very sweet, is based on a roux, and the recipe is typically carrots, onions, and potatoes + meat of some kind.

When Japan modernized their miltary they based their navy off the British. They copied everything, even the menu, which included a bastardized version of Indian "curry". So it's a Jap version of a British naval curry recipe. A very specific recipe, really. It has very little to do with actual Indian or SEA curry.

The green shit does not belong in there. Stick with potato and carrot for the Japanese Curry. If you want to go the extra mile, you can upgrade to a Tonkatsu Curry. I used to eat that almost every day when I was studying there.

>very sweet

But one of the most popular Japanese curry bricks has absolutely zero sweetness. Stop eating Vermont "Candied Curry".

>Judging Japanese curry by prepackaged curry bricks
Holy shit

Without tasting it there is not much I can tell you

>being hipster about Japanese curry bricks when even restaurants in Japan use them

Sweetness is very much a part of Japanese curry. Not necessarily so, but it's a very strong trend, enough to be associated with the country. You also seem to ignore the fact that even when bricks are used, most folks add sweet sauces, fruits, and sugar.

It's like stating, categorically, that American-style beef stew has no mushrooms because some canned brands have no mushrooms.

Dude you are a fucking joke

This is some chicken curry that I've cooked some time ago. I've done it a few times.
1) Don't use any curry bricks, I've never use it but everything that comes in bricks like that are pure shit. You can make your own curry, just google what curry powder have and try to find some.

2) If you can't preprare your own curry just buy curry powder, it's not hard to find and, as someone said in the thread, prepare a roux.

3) To make a good curry use coconut milk. It's not hard to find it but it's expensive at least where I live. If you can't find coconut milk you can make your own coconut milk and thats reaaaaally cheap. Just google how to make it. It's really easy.

I made a thread with the recipe that I've used and how I cooked it but I can't find it.

Pic related. I know that the presentation is horrible, but it was good. The rice was bad, like someone said to you, it has too much water

>Dinty Moore beef stew over rice
Real Japapanese right there

This looks almost exactly like a middle east dish that uses greenbeans and cuts of meat over rice. Its delicious if made right so im assumimg that was p good too op.

>animes
Kill yourself faggot

I prefer my curry made with coconut milk. Not really Japanese, more Thai like, but it adds depth to the dish.

Weeb curry is god tier
Thai green curry is god tier
India curry is literal shit

ma nigga

very common south indian/sri lankan too

get a load of this guy