Charcoal vs Propane

Do you grill with propane or charcoal?

Preferably wood.
Failing that, charcoal.

Charcoal.

If you're going to cook with propane you'd be better off just cooking on a gas range inside. There's no point to it.

Wood or charcoal. I'm afraid of propane.

Propane is for outdoor cooking.

Charcoal (or wood) are for grilling.

Is the taste from wood different compared to charcoal?

Charcoal is just wood that have been burned out the oxygen and water, thats why charcoal can be hotter.

Charcoal easily.

Better than wood too. Burns with less smoke and more heat.

Propane is fine if you're hiking or camping when you need a small, light, and portable heat source.

Get this if you're a fuckboi.

Yes. The wood will create smoke which adds extra flavor. That may or may not be desirable depending on what you're grilling and your personal preference.

Charcoal for indoors 2bh

>7838282
the CO really brings out the flavor

ELECTRIC
L
E
C
T
R
I
C

TASTE THE MEAT! NOT THE MEAT!

Electric isn't bad at all. I know some people shit on it, but it's super easy to get the desired heat.

It depends. At my parents house they have both a propane grill and a charcoal grill. They use each one for different things.

It's nearly impossible to get the desired heat with electric unless you have an actual commercial-type electric grill. The kind that runs on 240V and requires an electrician to wire up. Even propane has a much higher heat output than electric does.

Smoking or BBQ with electric is a different story. But certainly not grilling....

Of course you're not going to get the same heat output, but for the majority of home cooking applications it's completely fine.

Why settle for less than ideal heat output when both charcoal and propane are readily available and cheap?

I have a little smokey Joe that ibuse charcoal with. I've used both gas and charcoal a lot. Gas is convenient, and if I had more space I'd probably get a good gas grill. But otherwise my charcoal grill does just fine. Plus it's super convenient to take places and I love grilling outdoors at parks. The flavor is mildy better with charcoal too.

Grilling for many people at a party?

Charcoal

Grilling for yourself on a relaxing evening at the beach or at camp?

Firewood

I don't really do propane because my grill is just a couple of stones, logs or cinderblocks with a grill.

Propane grills of any worth are expensive in my land.

Depends on what I'm making. If I want to smoke something a lot without filling up my tube and fucking around with it, charcoal. If I want to have more precise temperature control, then propane.

Charcoal for indoors, propane for camping

Nothing beats that char'd flavor imo

You can use foil packed wood chips to get smoke with a propane grill.

Suicide is painless.

Fuck you Hank Hill. Propane sucks for flavor and you know it you lousy fuck.

For you.

TASTE THE MEAT, NOT THE HEAT

If you're using gas you may as well just cook inside (unless camping etc).

Charcoal and wood is made for BBQ.

You can lie to yourself, but please don't lie to me.

Borh. Honestly the charcoal taste is nice but I don't want it every single time I BBQ/grill/whatever something.

Why?

Cooking over live fire instead of in a pan would be the reason. Natty gas outdoor grill hooked up to the house is the best for convenience. Charcoal for tailgating. Wood for woodsing.

Sometimes small propane grill for more crowded festivals or if your apartment has rules against charcoal.

for those using propane how do you get good high searing heat? do you use ceramic briquettes, a stainless steel heat plate, do you grill closer to the burner? i haven't had a chance to experiment much with my grill but i've had mixed results from the times i've tried grilling steak using a 44,000 btu 3 burner propane grill.

Propane burns hotter than natty gas IIRC. The way to really heat it up (which is what you should do before oiling anyway) is turning everything to high, then closing the lid. Wait for at least 5 minutes, but it could've been 10.

Gas/propane is less work/time and less wasteful if you're only cooking a small amount.

i know that feel.

>lived alone, cooked for 1
>bbq after work during summer bc steak is best dinner
>eventually switch to low fuel style heat application (think turkish kebabs) because i'm a stingy bastard.
>still on charcoal, refuse to switch

I cook my spice stuff on my grill so I don't tear gas all the people in my house. Plus it's easier to do with veggies on it as well as you don't have to worry as much when something falls through the cracks.

i have a relatively thick cast iron grate (3/8" bars) and according to temp probe located a couple inches above the grate towards back right corner of the grilling surface i'm getting up to 625F after warming up 10 minutes when i use the stock heat plates that came with the grill (6"x6" stainless steel plate that covers each burner but leaves lots of room in between for flames to shoot up). i've tried a larger ceramic heat plate that covers almost the entire area beneath the grilling surface, but that decreased the temp to 500F max (but much better even heat, less flare ups, and more control at lower temps). i also tried the stock heat plates with a bunch of small pyramid shaped ceramic briquettes on a rock grate (lower grill surface) above the heat plates. temps were 500-550F after heating 5 minutes. i suppose i could try just removing the stock heat plates and arranging the ceramic briquettes above the burners to catch any crap that falls directly on em. or grilling directly on the rock grate (ie. closer to the burner). best results i've had so far was cooking a ribeye with the stock setup, but all the fat caused a flare up which helped the sear. i normally cook strip though so it's harder to get the drippings from the fat to help

The wood adds a sweet taste of cancer.

The very air you breathe can give you cancer.

I dont think people who say bullshit like what you posted realize the sheer prevalence of carcinogens in the atmosphere they breathe much less everything else around them, but keep focusing on that nasty smoke.

Charcoal always. Sometimes my dad will do propane if it's winter and I don't feel like dicking around with coals.

Propane. Always propane. We are Homo Sapiens. We are evolved. We cook over fire, not where fire USED to be.

I smoke with electric on my 30in masterbuilt

I use propane for grilling and wood for smoking obviously.

Too many uniformed people in here don't actually know what the char/smoke flavor comes from while grilling. It's when the fat of the meat drops onto coals or in propane case flavorizer bars and evaporates causing steam, the rest of the flavor is carbon for charcoal which I find disgusting.
My propane grill has sear station, but if I'm using someone else's grill bring the grates as close as they can. All burners on high for 25 minutes with hood closed. Most decent grills ping about 600-620 after this time. You want to cook at about 520-550. .

>It's when the fat of the meat drops

We know that, user.
The preference for charcoal over propane is because charcoal burns much hotter than propane does.

I grill with wood.

This.

>We are Homo Sapiens. We are evolved.
by that logic, why go through the barbaric act of cooking at all then, when you could just drink soylent?

Propane obviously. Taste the meat not the heat.

>charcoal masterrace here

Please do not delude yourself that you, like the rest of us, are not just talking apes.

literally cucked by charcoal in that one episode
his wife craves the char-king cock and lies to him about it

Wood or lump charcoal.

Red oak for beef or chicken
Post oak for brisket
Fruit food for pork
Lump charcoal for searing/cooking quickly.