La Technique

Anyone read this guy before? Just picked it up from a library sale in good condition. Think I'm just going to read through it once then flip it on eBay

>asking Veeky Forums if they have heard of one of their beloved chefs

>advertising a book on the book itself

Yep, it's a classic. Look for the second one, "La Methode" as well.

It's essential, but a bit cumbersome. Buy Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" as well if you want to learn technique. And "The French Chef" for recipes. Her "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" is interesting, but along with Escoffier they're either reference guides, but more like door stops. Hope you put it to good use user!

Nice find, op

That was the long answer, the short answer is: if you don't know who Jaques Pepin is and have a desire to cook, you should familiarize yourself with him. Or you're just trolling, and should feel shame.

One last comment OP. Both that book and Julia's "Way..." will teach you HOW to cook, but they're dated (foods suspended in aspic for instance); great if your a home cook, but there's nothing in there about making foams and shit and "artfully" stacking a plate of 3 grams of salmon and an olive.

>there's nothing in there about making foams and shit and "artfully" stacking a plate of 3 grams of salmon and an olive.

Sounds more like a positive than a negative.

Posting some items I found interesting in my initial flip through the book

tomato roses

how to serve vodka fancily

thought this was funny

preparing brain (the book has a good organ meat section)

brain part 2

meringue cake 1

meringue cake 2

meringue cake 3

Yeah, there's quite a bit of silly things in there like that, putting eyes on a game hen was to that time making Rorschach swirls of sauce on a plate is now, I was referring to Julia's book (though there is a bit of timely 'haute' presentation in there as well), but in those two posts you learned two important things: blanching a vegetable preserves its color, and a game hen benefits from a mustard glaze. With that you can now (after learning how to properly bake a bird) serve, say, a game hen with a mustard glaze/sauce with green beans or snow peas, and potatoes, and if your trying to make a girl, carve her up a tomato rose! :^)

Frogs love them some offal
W the tomato, garnishing a salad of course

There's a lot of interesting stuff in that book.

you sure it's not the Banjo and Kazooie cookbook?

>Frogs love them some offal
Most haute cuisine actually had its origins with the poor. Offal is used to ensure that when some poor family has to slaughter an animal, every single edible part is eaten.

Nowadays nobody is so poor they're forced to eat organs, so they're a luxury for some reason.

Pepin is great but jesus fuck that disgusting plate on the cover
>hardboiled eggs, raw bell pepper and black olives with boiled lobster

I drive by his house all the time, you can see it from the highway

You're exaggerating.