KITCHEN PORTER GENERAL

Fellow dishwashers,prep, and bussies. Talk experience with stubborn Ecadurian/Mexican cooks. Talk about that time you became an engineer and fixed a $5000 dishwasher. Those cuts and burns are war scars. Wear em' proud.

when I worked in Portland, OR there was a Mexican prep cook that was riding a new guy for being total shit. Well, the new guy clocked out of his shift and got drunk at the bar for a couple hours. Later that night while talking over the prep list for the next day, in comes new guy who proceeds to grab a large knife off the rack and WHACK. chopped the Mexicans' finger clean off. Lots of stories but that one really sticks out...

>dat blast of steam from the dishwasher

It was always a gamble whether or not you'd walk away if simple first-degree burns or be totally blinded

I've heard that high-pressure superheated steam can cut you like a knife; is it true, and have you ever seen it happen to anyone?

> engineer

Soft keks

Not firsthand, but I have treated injuries sustained from what we called "The Dragon" onboard American aircraft carriers. High-pressure steam hits flesh and causes instant lasting pain. I'm thankful that I never had to face "The Dragon" and I pitied those who did.

Are they really stubborn or are you just butthurt that you have the same job as a Mexican immigrant?

kek. my first few weeks as a commis i was certain i was gonna end up stabbing one of the two CDPs.

>tfw no Mexican or Ecuadorian gf

tfw your boss shifted the time they cleaned the deep fryers because the girls in the morning don't want to do it. I'll now be cleaning them every shift I work. Fuck you management.

I think those indigenous looking Mexican guys are cute, one of the guys at the taco truck I go to looks like a Mexican Joe Walsh

I am a cook, but one day the kitchen porter did not came to work so i worked 8 hours cleaning dishes like crazy.

That night i had a nightmare about spoons, forks and plates, not ever again..

my first job at the age of 18 was as a dishwasher. i thought, "hey, it's kind of chill. i don't have to be make any food. just wash rinse, repeat."

i worked there for 3 months. i think it gave me ptsd because at night i'd have muscle spasms. my now-ex said i'd be moving my hands up in down like i was scrubbing something

dishwashing is ass

don't they have machines that can do that now?

you can run a dish caked with tempura batter 5 times. some things need to be handwashed first

well I think you could handwash the stubborn parts then stick it in the washer for the rest

I was the best dishwasher at my first job and I worked all the holidays at the age of 16. Kitchen was full of china-men who minded their own business which was nice. They let me pop out for smokes if it wasn't busy and they cooked food for all the employees and eating fresh authentic chinease food every night was pretty gud. I never had to say a word, they didnt speak to me, and they were very sad when I moved away. Sometimes I still think about them and washing a mountain of dishes all the time. Also till this day im still a very smug dishwasher
With all that being said, you're being a little bitch

>kitchen porter
um, I think you mean kitchen bitch, but nice try user

and I say that with love. anyone who's ever worked back of house knows how smoothly things can run if you have a good kitchen bitch, and how frustrating it is if you have just a dishwasher who's not very good or motivated

The restaurant I work at serves lasagnas in metal oval bowls, which means for every lasagna you have to let soak and scrub the fuck out of rock-hard burnt cheese and crusts.
On a Saturday evening I came in to an overflowing dishpit and 17 well-hidden dried lasagna dishes because the day dishwasher is a putrid being.
It's not the first time too, and the boss doesn't give two shits that the other guy's usually high and lazy so one exhausting day I slashed his bike tires left near the dumpsters, which he leaves there from time to time
Dishwashing at peak hours corrupts your soul and leaves you weak

>he's not their from open to close
lightweight

i was once blasted by a quick, concentrated bit of steam from a lobster steamer, something wrong with the gasket or whatever. Hurt like hell and left a nice line on my arm.

one of the worst burns I got, IMO. And i've had hot fryer grease spilled on my arm

did he go to jail? jesus christ.

Every year we run a boiling high pressure washer on the floor and walls at the end of season. Watched a new guy cut through his shoe and start bleeding on the floor. We yelled at him for bleeding on a clean floor.

working in a bottom tier chain restaurant currently. constantly understaffed so after two months of being the only KP I'm now a chef. It's chill and the pay is good.

Does anyone else here get paid under the table? The pay is good but they always short me like 2-3 hours.

Also when you guys pull a open to close what do you do on your lunch break, me personally I go to the brewery down the road and have a beer or 2. Makes the second half of the day a little easier.

Eh?

>work as runner
>pretty chill place, nice and clean, free meal after every shift, great food
>management/owners were fine with us chatting if there was nothing to do
>waiters did waiter things and we did odd jobs for the kitchen if needed
>they moved me to the bar because they liked me even though I was underage
>quit because I was a drug addicted piece of shit working two jobs

They'd give me the job if I went back but I'm too much of a pussy. I miss it.