Why is there no definitive answer on the health effects of eggs?

Why is there no definitive answer on the health effects of eggs?
Are they bad for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html
nutritionfacts.org/2013/09/10/eggs-vs-cigarettes-in-atherosclerosis/
ibcmt.com/2009-03-16-EffectsOfDietaryCholesterolOnSerumCholesterol-PaulHopkins.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24564114
archive.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/flaxseed
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531798001006
amazon.com/Oil-Protein-Diet-Cookbook-Johanna-Budwig/dp/0969527225/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Eggs are just a Keto tard meme

In like maybe another 4 years nobody will even remember what they are

theres regulations preventing them from being called healthy, because they are not. highest food in cholesterol, right under brains.
inb4 fatties claim cholesterol isnt bad for you

what the fuck is cholesterol

And then there's this idiot....

>Why is there no definitive answer on the health effects of eggs?
Because there is some controversy in the scientific literature about it, and because there are substantial monetary interests involved.

its a compound that animals produce, its pretty much vital for our brain and nervous system to work. but all animals make their own and theres no need for an outside source of it. also outside sources have their own hormones with does nothing for your health. normally cholesterol is regarded as good or bad cholesterol, bad cholesterol is what comes with eggs and shrimp and beef, and cheese and milk. good cholesterol is the kind you produce on your own and over consuming bad cholesterol gives you fatty arteries and heart disease, as well as cancer.

inb4 'its a good low carb source of protein and muh vitamins'

Eggs are healthy in moderation, since they have a fair amount of nutrients, but are high in cholesterol (especially the yolk)

why not get the nutrients from somewhere else instead of getting daily cholesterol from one fucking egg?

The micronutrient profile of eggs is pretty terrible for an animal food. The micronutrients hardest to get from plants are calcium, iron, zinc and of course B12. Eggs are not a particularly good source of any of these, and eggs are 66% calories from fat so they're not even a good source of protein. They're just trash.

i thought white foods like milk, eggs and cheese were good for you

really? if anyone says tho theyre prob obese and doing lowcarb or shills for the usda.

theyre not 'healthy'. the studies done on eggs concluded that one a day is 'ok'. if the conclusive health benefits of a food are 'dont eat more than one a day or you get heart disease' its not healthy.

A large egg contains about 185 mg of cholesterol. And since the American Heart Association (AHA) recommends a limit of 300 mg per day, eat two eggs and you’ve exceeded that limit.

(Cue up the post-breakfast guilt and shame.)

So, eggs are bad then?

Not so fast. There happens to be a problem with the AHA’s recommendation. It assumes that when you eat more cholesterol (from eggs and other animal foods), your blood cholesterol increases.

Assume that and, of course, it makes sense to eat fewer eggs. Your blood cholesterol would be lower. Your heart and arteries would stay healthier for longer.

But here’s the AHA’s dirty little secret: Your body doesn’t work that way.

Indeed, the research consistently and reliably shows that the cholesterol you eat has very little impact on how much cholesterol is in your blood.

If that sounds weird, maybe this will help...

You see, your body makes cholesterol. Lots of it, in fact. Every single day you produce between 1 and 2 grams of it on your own. (That’s 5-10 times the cholesterol in a large egg.)

The interesting twist? When you eat more cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces less of it. And when you eat less cholesterol from foods like eggs, your body produces more.

That’s because you have a cholesterol “set point.” Think of it like a thermostat that’s largely determined by your genetics, exercise habits, and stress. Funny enough, diet plays a surprisingly small role.

In fact, cholesterol happens to be one of the most important nutrients in your body.

It’s in every cell membrane (outer layer). It’s a requirement for growth (in infants and adults). And it’s required for the production of many hormones.

If all this is true, then why do so many people tell you to avoid eggs?

Simple: Egg paranoia has been based on the old assumption that eating the yolks will raise blood cholesterol (and increase your risk for artery and heart disease).

And even though the research has disproven the hypothesis — for most of the population — the medical community has been slow to reverse recommendations.

Of course, I get it. Most of us aren’t in a rush to admit we’re wrong. Especially when we’ve been wrong for years. And on the world’s largest stage.

Regardless, researchers have looked at the diets of hundreds of thousands of people. And they’ve suggested that consuming eggs every day is not associated with cholesterol problems or heart disease.

(There’s only one possible exception here: diabetics and the 0.2 percent of the population with familial hypercholesterolemia. More research has to be done to confirm this.)

Interestingly, in controlled trials — the best kind of research — where people were instructed to eat up to three eggs per day while on a weight loss diet, good things happened.

These folks lost weight, decreased inflammation and either maintained or improved their blood cholesterol levels.

(They were consuming 555 mg of cholesterol every day from eggs alone!)

Bottom line: Unless you have diabetes or a rare genetic disorder, eating a few eggs every day is not bad for you.
huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

nice copy pasta of a cosmo article. also yeah you produce less good cholesterol and more bad cholesterol. you stop producing as much cause you took in your daily limit, but its still going to keep producing just at a slower rate so now you have even more. also, is this really a blogger claiming to know more than the american heart association?

Eggs are fine. Although the scientific and medical community still know very little about nutrition, we live in the 21st century and have already put the whole eggs-cholesterol-discussion to bed time and time again.

On the flip side, people put worse things than eggs in their mouths and bodies in higher volumes and more frequently, i.e., something else is more likely to kill you than comorbidity or sequela of posulate high cholesterol from eggs.

This is actually pretty interesting - thanks for the good answer, user

well heart disease is americas number one killer.

If there ever was a good example of "people love to be told that their bad habits are good" this post is it.
This is the entire fucking punchline of paleo/fatkins/lowcarb, you just tell fat diabetic fucks that they should eat bacon and eggs because it's healthy and they start doing it immediately because "science". Hilarious

>Are they bad for you?
The latest thought is that though cholesterol is still a not great thing during a lipid profile blood test, the previous conclusions that actual dietary cholesterol was a contributor was a little hasty, and even when they reduced dietary cholesterol in high risk individuals, it did little, so the revised their opinions about having it in the diet, making foods cholesterol free, etc. Now it's like exercise that shit out of your blood, or you're just genetically damned to produce it like nuts (some people).
Later nutritionists started to gather more information that cutting fats out of the diet robbed us of some valuable things like omegas in balance, satiation for longer periods and other nutrient deficiencies...and well, the food pyramid was even redone.
So, whether for fat reasons or dietary cholesterol reasons, the previous restriction to limit your consumption to no more than 2 per week was relaxed, much to the relief of the official Egg council, a powerful lobbyist.

Me? I think all things in moderation. I wouldn't load up on eggs like crazy daily. I know it's a cheap protein, but rotate through a variety of foods, imho. Eat it all, and mix it up for best advice for your nutrition. Don't get into a rut, binge, or otherside get into a rut. If you have to consume eggs to stay alive, I would in fact drop a yolk into the trash occasionally and get a little extra white in my omelette if I'm thinking 3egg, or egg salad. A bit of trickery so I can eat more but less calories.

some guy from huffpost told me the AHA was wrong so now im going to eat lots of eggs. i need them for my nutrients

Yes, heart disease as a comorbidity or sequela of more frequent consumption of other foods like burgers, pizzas, etc. as well as the lack of frequent physical activity.

Eggs are 66% calories from fat, they're like cheese and not "protein"

you think the people that end up getting heart disease eat their eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast and salsa? no they fry them with bacon and cheese cause lowcarb must be healthy. plus theyre in so many baked goods and places were you wouldnt really expect them to be.

strong reading comprehension.

People eat more bacon, cheese, burgers, chips, sodas, sugar, lard, etc. than eggs whether as a meal or baked in a cake. If the potential for heart disease were an empty cup, then those other foods would fill that cup more than eggs.

that was the most misinformed statement i read in 4chins in a long time

I want to add that i browse Veeky Forums, so the bar was pretty high to start with

Please kill your self

I'm actually impressed that Veeky Forums has come around over the years on a subject like this.
I typically just lurk in threads like this to see uneducated shit posts but this was surprising, good job.

so just because theyre not eaten in a higher frequency than bacon means theyre fine to eat? nice pseudoscience you came up with, while doctors with their M.Ds in nutrition that have been practicing more than 20 years are clueless and stupid when they recommend cuttings eggs out of someones diet cause 'hey ur more likely to die from bacon lol' the point remains eating 3 eggs or more a week causes a direct rise in clogged arteries. theyre not fine. also 3 days a week could be considered a pretty low volume, but even at that low volume its still associated with heart disease. nutritionfacts.org/2013/09/10/eggs-vs-cigarettes-in-atherosclerosis/

Eggs raise your cholesterol if you're healthy with low cholesterol, they don't if your cholesterol is already maxed out from all the other garbage you eat (i.e. average American participating in average industry-sponsored study on eggs)
ibcmt.com/2009-03-16-EffectsOfDietaryCholesterolOnSerumCholesterol-PaulHopkins.pdf

well that fact that you browse sci and had a desire to even mention it must make you a fucking retard to begin with. if you think humans arent capable of producing their own cholesterol and dietary cholesterol isnt needed why dont you do you own research or if thats too hard continue killing yourself with your three egg omelet fatty. pls go back to your keto threads on reddit

audible kek

It's a meme is what it is.

Some things never change

strong strawm8.

I'll just conclude with the point that eggs are fine in moderation. Bacon and burg are fine in moderation. Just about everything could kill you or aggravate something that could kill you if there's enough of it––too much food (heart disease among other things), water (hyponatremia or drowning among other things), sunlight (skin cancer), breathing (blood-gas imbalance... unlikely since you'll pass out before it gets worse but just trying to make a point), exercise (rhabdo among other things).

Cholesterol is cholesterol, so such thing as "good" or "bad" cholesterol.

I would bet anything that you have no clue about what cholesterol is or how does it behave in human metabolism.

>if you think humans arent capable of producing their own cholesterol and dietary cholesterol isnt needed why dont you do you own research or if thats too hard continue killing yourself with your three egg omelet fatty. pls go back to your keto threads on reddit

you fucking what?

Because research on the health effects of any specific food is notoriously difficult.
It is very hard to get anything beyond "could", "may", "related to", "associated with".

Read pic related and you will never believe any claim about the health effects of food and diet (pro or con) ever again.

Fruits, vegetables, and tubers are definitively healthy. Even if one gave into the "fruit is just pure unecessary sugar!" meme how could one possibly demonize vegetables with any sort of credibility?

you do realize that they are required to use terms like could and may or associated or else theyre sued and fucked thanks to lobbying and big industries

No, even without big evil, it is very very hard to prove that food X causes disease Y. Mainly because it is just not true. Any health effects towards Y are likely caused by a myriad of big and small "causes".

Yes when you put it in those general terms. No when you claim cranberries prevent bladder infections or brocoli cures cancer.

feed people the same controlled diet except once group gets three eggs a week. the three egg a week group ends up with more arterial plaque at the end of the study, is that really not conclusive enough for you to decide for yourself 'hmm eggs dont seem healthy' at least thats how it is with me, i dont care if they use could or associated with. it took 40 years after there was proven evidence that smoking caused lung cancer for it to actually reach the average american

There's a guy who says that fiber is bad for you and recks your digestive tract and health, so in fact people do not even agree on the idea that vegetables, fiber or plants are good for you. Granted, the guy is mostly in it for the money, selling "fiber recovery" bullshit supplements, and his shitty book.

The point is, whenever there is some thing that most people agree on, some clown is going to jump out of the bushes and tell you that they're all wrong and you need to buy his book asap before you die from eating a healthy diet. Just real-life clickbait

>Huffington Post

>"people love to be told that their bad habits are good"

If I see one more news story that starts out "Good news LADIES turns out chocolate/wine is actually GOOD for you!!!!"

>feed people the same controlled diet
That is not as easy ad you think.
How do you do that for a large enough group for a long enouh time?

the subjects are paid 10k or more for a months worth of testing, especially diet ones. also it is sooo hard to get into medical testing in the first place, like most jobs you have to have a clean track record with experience and qualifications and be in optimal health, unless the study requires someone that has a disease. so most subjects arent just college kids that need money and dont care about screwing results, but have to take their work seriously if they ever want to get hired again, also for diet studies they have to have a buddy system, with at least two people to monitor what they eat. also i know this because my two uncles have been test subjects for studies and medications since the 70's

Asians eat eggs almost in every meal and they have the highest longevity rates. explain that..

the seven day Adventists eat no eggs, dairy or meat and are the longest living and healthiest population recorded in the world. explain that..

I agree it sure is healthier, but that's not the point. We are discussing eating eggs,

>Asians eat eggs almost in every meal and they have the highest longevity rates. explain that..
Traditional Asian diets, including those of China, Japan, Thailand, Sri Lanka and Korea, are extremely high-carb low-fat diets and most certainly do not involve eating eggs daily, let alone in every meal. The image to the left shows some dietary data we have from 1957. As you can see, Japan and Ceylon are listed as deriving 2-3% of their energy from animal fat. That's 5 to 8 grams of animal fat for a 2500 calorie diet. 2 large eggs provide 11 grams of animal fat, therefore twice as much as an average Asian would have consumed in an entire day 60 years ago.

Modern Asian diets incorporate a lot more animal products and fat, including eggs, while reducing carb intake, and we're seeing an almost 1-to-1 rise in obesity and diabetes rates.
So modern Asians are not healthy, in fact over 25% of the Chinese population is now overweight. Their carb intake has dropped from 80% in the 50s to 70% in the 80s to 60% in the 2000s.

Japan has the highest egg consumption per capita IN THE WORLD

>lowest cholesterol
>longest lifespans
>lowest cancer rates

Get fucked vegans

>Modern Asians are not healthy

They're nine inches taller on average and live thirty years more than they did pre-WWII, shut the fuck up you pretentious shill.

There is no animal that will pass up the chance to eat an egg, if it's physically capable of it. Not even herbivores.

Fucking deer will eat eggs if they happen to find one on the ground.

>implying fat is bad

Have fun adhering to diets from 20 years ago bitch

>yeah high carb intake is good
>carbsantiy

you realize the blog you are referencing doesn't even exist anymore? You are a full retard if you are defending high carb intake.

Some days they're good for you, some days they're bad for you. I generally only eat eggs on the days they're good for you.

>They're nine inches taller on average and live thirty years more than they did pre-WWII

when they ate fuckin rice powder? 300kcal daily diets? yeah guess what british people are like 5 inches taller too

>implying deer aren't omnivores

youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Name a single food that has a definitive answer regarding its health effects. Nutritional science is as fickle as the winds.

>Are they bad for you?
Probably not, especially in moderation.

Plain white eggs?

Plain white eggs makes your teeth go grey.

Plain White Tees?

Plain White Tees makes your son go gay.

So much misinformation in this thread.
I literally haven't eaten any eggs in years, for that matter I haven't eaten any fats either, that shit is bad for yahah gah what the fuck is happgaagag aAAAHHHHH PA PAAAAH AAAAAAHHHHH GGgrrr gurlggllel Hhahglelgllle aah AHAH ahhh... wa uhh....

>do your own research
I want you to research two things:
burden of proof
dunning kruger effect

I eat my 2 eggs with oats and black coffee.

Why the fuck does Veeky Forums hate eggs so much? They're fucking fine. I've lost 60lbs on my diet, which is t a meme diet like keto or low carb, and I eat 2 eggs almost daily. My cholesterol and BP are fine as well.

it's an excellent source of B12 you fucking retard.

>Modern Asian diets incorporate a lot more animal products and fat, including eggs, while reducing carb intake, and we're seeing an almost 1-to-1 rise in obesity and diabetes rates.

Does that data account for all of the processed sugar they've started eating too?

I have no idea what you guys are arguing about but "I lost the weight of a medium sized child" never puts you in a position of authority on health matters

>sugar is bad for you
>fat doesn't make you fat
Kek, get out of here Goldberg.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24564114
>CONCLUSION: Added sugar intake level in our country is low relative to other developed countries, also did not exceed WHO and the AHA recommends. But it's on the rise in generally.

Always feel bad about making people look so silly.

What's the point of this thread? It's an infinite loop. For Gawd's sake, just mix a quarter cup of cottage cheese with two Tbsp of ground flax seed and add something to make it taste good (ie grapes, nuts, pineapple etc.) ..take it once a week if you're in great shape and every other day if you're about to croak. It's a mild Statin and a healthy lipid (heals organs). It makes you bullet proof to heart attacks and cancer. Eat as many eggs as you want and say screw it to the organizations that try to suppress it and suck cash out of your pockets.
archive.news.iastate.edu/news/2010/mar/flaxseed
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0271531798001006
amazon.com/Oil-Protein-Diet-Cookbook-Johanna-Budwig/dp/0969527225/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

>conclusion: added sugar intake is on the rise, but we're not quite at the level of America yet
>somehow takes this to mean sugar has no effect on obesity

You're a straight retard, aren't you?

You claimed that Asians have started eating lots of sugar. This is false. Asians are below the recommendations for processed sugar intake of both the WHO and the AHA. So Asians have actually have a low-sugar diet. Asians are not "not quite at the level of America", they're extremely far away from that and actually below the government/authority guidelines. And yet they are still getting fatter and more diabetic, WHAT A MYSTERY

Yes, I claimed that Asians started eating a lot of sugar. That study backs up my claim by revealing that Asians' sugar intake is rising.

It's China.

The divide between Urban and Rural life is massive, urban dwellers have mass acess to high fat high sugar with mass obesity while the rural parts live largely on the same shit they have for the last milennia.

Numbers are then pooled for the nation.

>I claimed that Asians started eating a lot of sugar. That study backs up my claim
No, it refutes your claim since it found that the Chinese have a low intake of sugar. "A lot of sugar" and "low sugar" are two opposing, incompatible things. Unless you think 1g of sugar a year is a lot and is going to cause people to explode.

And anyway, Asians have been becoming fatter since the 60s-80s when their sugar intake was close to zero. Just please eat some fucking sugar so you can start thinking straight again. Keto brains trying to think is a sad thing to witness, like some cripple trying to walk up a flight of stairs and just failing over and over again.

I think Keto fags are right for the wrong reasons. There is nothing dastardly and evil about eating bread but cutting out bread can save most americans a few hundred calories and that can lead to weight loss

also urban chinks are probably doing sedentary office work whole rural chinks might still be farming

>rural chinks might still be farming
Rice-tractors are very expensive, specialised and prone to ruining the farmland so is't nearly all done with hoe and plough.

>Unless you think 1g of sugar a year is a lot and is going to cause people to explode.

The DAILY average intake, exclusively from sugar sweetened beverages, was about 13.4g. That's JUST from sugary drinks and doesn't even account for ANY of the rest of the food they're eating.

So you actually are suggesting 50 calories of sugar will turn a huge segment of the population into fatasses.

Holy shit you are so desperate to hold onto your illusions, this is beyond religion tier.

Yeah, actually I am. Sugar is a hell of a drug.

God this is stupid. Today I added 10 grams of refined sugar to my breakfast of chickpeas, mustard, raw onion, vinegar and tomato paste. I also did eat 2 large ripe bananas for another 200 calories from sugar (and no, there is no fucking difference between sugar in fruits and sugar in bags). What are you gonna do about it, fatboy?

>Today I added 10 grams of refined sugar to my breakfast of chickpeas, mustard, raw onion, vinegar and tomato paste.

Now down another teaspoon (4g) worth and keep doing that every single day for the next year.

I certainly will because I like sugar. My average intake of natural and refined sugar is around 130g/day, refined probably 30, to taste. Fasting glucose is just below the reference range

What about choline?

>over a quarter of your daily calorie intake is from sugar

Kek, holy shit. Enjoy your diabetes and heart disease.

Where do I sign up?

need help quick, i'm a scrub
i just made some eggs in 2 year old olive oil
now the white has become yellow/brownish because of the oil
are they still edible, or was there something wrong with the oil?

You overcooked the eggs and used too much oil if they turned brown. Olive oil does have a general keep time of about two years though, so you're riding up on the end of life for that bottle too.

Eggs are completely healthy, eating cholesterol being unhealthy was debunked ages ago. The problem is that they are high in fat percentage, this not a good food to eat a lot of because it will mess with your micros.

can i still eat them though?

Well not NOW. Shit's been sitting for like 10 minutes they're probably cold and shit. Just start over eggs aren't that expensive.

The AMA is an amalgamation of outdated information, special interest groups, and some confirmed hypotheses.

shops are closed today where i live. and i meant if i could eat them without throwing up/contracting food poisoning or whatever. i dont care if theyre cold, and i was taught never to waste any food

Because scientists are worthless cucks who publish whatever result their sponsor wants to hear

Eat as many eggs as you want.

I eat mostly fat and protein, the only sugar I eat comes from occasional berries (they taste great with whipped heavy cream) and dark chocolate. My blood tests are all perfect.

>tfw make four eggs every day over toast and have an apple for breakfast

Am I going to die Veeky Forums