How was sliced bread invented in 1928 when French Toast existed for much longer?

How was sliced bread invented in 1928 when French Toast existed for much longer?

Other urls found in this thread:

marmiton.org/recettes/recette_pain-perdu_10975.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>people didn't slice bread before you could buy a sliced loaf

I hate how in the US, all bread is sliced extremely thin and the same crappy size that is only good for sandwiches

texas toast is sliced a little thicker and it's the same bread by the same brands. It's like 1 inch or so thick so like 2 standard slices put into one. It works great for french toast. I think it is called texas toast because of the whole "everything is bigger in texas" thing.

I've never seen it not frozen and definitely never plain. They're pretty good though if you want garlic toast without any work though.

edit: I don't mean the garlic bread by that name but the sliced bread that is called texas toast made by almost any brand

I get it at ingles supermarket but not this brand they make their own at the deli that is plain

I thought originally texas toast was day old bread not fresh bread you buy at the supermarket.

Untrue. Texas toast was invented when Texans realized their infinite inferiority to Mexicans and developed a crippling sense of insecurity.

Sliced bread wasn't invented in 1928.

Same thing really

This may be the dumbest question yet today on Veeky Forums. Goddamn, why is everyone so uneducated.

I want some French Toast now

>since bread was wrapped

That's kinda rude user.

Uneducated about sliced bread? lolwat! Is this even a thing?

>Uneducated about sliced bread?

Nope. The point is that you don't need pre-sliced bread to make french toast. You can simply cut it with a knife.

>cut it with a knife.
Pleb detected

You've got that backwards bro.
Plebs buy sliced bread.
Patricians buy proper bread which doesn't come pre-sliced. They aren't willing to make the compromise of quality for convenience.

Nah he means real patricians just slice their bread with their dicks

wow cool story bro

Doing any kind of work yourself is plebeian

But that has nothing to do with education. You are presenting a rational argument with an apparent yet clumsy, brute force logic for the existence of french toast before machine sliced bread. Naturally before machines there were knives for slicing bread. It doesn't answer the implicit question behind the original "Why would french toast exist long before the popularity of sliced bread?" One wouldn't go through the rigors of mass producing presliced bread until sliced bread was popular. It doesn't seem logical for a dish requiring sliced bread to exist centuries before its primary ingredient had become a mainstay. I can only guess the answer is french toast dishes using sliced bread were uncommon and only eaten by aristocrats who had the money for cooks to invent new impractical dishes to appease their ever jaded palates.

you sound like such a fag and it's all for the sake of bread. I'm impressed.

>cool story bro

Go back to Facebook holy shit.

>sliced bread invented in 1928
People have been slicing bread probably since its existence. 1928 just marks the point when bread was sold pre-sliced.

Back in the day before sandwiches, bread was just a meat juice and stew/soup sponge. Ripping a piece off a loaf would be more practical than slicing it. A hunk of bread is easier to use to sop stuff up rather than using a slice even a thick slice.

Have you ever sliced your own bread? It really isn't that hard. Do you think peasants used to just gather around a whole loaf of bread and gnaw at it like dogs or something?

Why do so many people who literally have no knowledge about cooking choose to spend their time on a cooking board? There are other boards for you to shitpost on.

Are you unfamiliar with ripping bread off of a loaf?

Do you think that practice was exclusive and that nobody every cut bread with a knife?

Do americans seriously think cutting bread is hard and a heavy task?

Do you really believe medieval peasants had enough resources to afford a knife due to the iron in it or the lord of the land they were serfs on allowed them to carry knives?

try it without a knife and report back scrooge. Pretend your finger or a round rock is a knife and zip through that shit like there's no tomorrow. Good luck.

make french toast with your fist sized chunk of crusty 37 day old moldy bread

>had enough resources to afford a knife

Yes, I do. They had quite a lot of iron, actually. All sorts of items made out of iron could be found on a medieval farm: fittings on harness for the horses. Shovels, hoes, and plowshares for working the fields. Shoes for the horses, as well as the nails which held them on. The hinges and latch on the door to the barn. And yes, even knives. The knife is among the most basic of tools and was widespread just about everywhere.

Americans didn't have utensils in 1928?

no the british wouldn't let us and we were cavemen just like they still are having to license their butter knives

Shut up cu/ck/.

You really think their pig iron could hold an edge necessary to cut bread? Also which part of the middle ages are we talking about here and where is the proof?

I definitely prefer my bread fresh from the bakery. And I remember my mother using a board with long pegs on both sides. She'd just set a loaf in, and slice a uniform thickness. She'd double the thickness depending on what she wanted to do with it. Personally I enjoy thicker bread for toasted sandwiches. Mmmmm! Just thinking about a beef sandwich with onion, bell peppers, black olives, tomato, and havardi cheese. All toasted in the oven with a sprinkle of salt and pepper... I'm hungry now.

This is some high octane autism

Where's the unsubscribe button?

>You really think their pig iron could hold an edge necessary to cut bread?

Yep. Any kind of iron can be made razor sharp. It's simply a question of how long that sharp edge lasts. Thankfully it's easy to sharpen using a rock. And a rough edge is actually preferable for cutting bread, which is why most "bread knives" are serrated.

[citation needed]

For which part, user?
-the ability to sharpen any kind of iron
-the fact that iron can be sharpened with a rock
-the fact that bread knives are serrated

Pre-sliced bread is complete garbage, buying lumps of bread and crudely slicing it using a general tool like a knife is objectively better than buying bread that has already been sliced into perfect pieces by a specialized single use bread cutter

I bet people who buy uncut bread are falsities

Most markets sell "french" or "italian" bread that isn't presliced, but some of those loaves aren't much different from the presliced.

in medieval france you had to tear the bread up for french bread with your hands because according to catholicism, using a knife on a bread was an abomination

Medieval peoples ate with their hands without utensils even nobles did it so I don't know what you are on about.

seriously?

everyone still had a knife you retard.

How does everyone having a knife prove the common practice was cutting bread into slices rather than ripping pieces off?

are you fucking retarded?

they slice the bread with that knife (maciejowski) and use it as a plate for food ladeled on top. its called a trencher. it was the common way to eat because you didnt need a bowl or plate. its way easier to eat off a flat or concaved sliced bread than a jagged torn piece

Trenchers are actually bread made to be flat not bread cut to be flat.

Looks like he is cutting a piece of cheese. Cheese and meat need to be cut most times unlike bread.

untrue, we found out the normies didnt use man slices and had to distinguish it from fagbread

great msPaint work dude.. nice Pixelart... but so much effort to fake a picture... every body know that the middle age was the "dark age" since they had no color to paint with , see the old knight movies...

he make a sandwich!!!!??? so lord sandwich didn't invented the sandwich 1730 but 500 years earlier!

but you already had discovered fire ?

>Cheese and meat need to be cut
nice bait...

holy shit, how can you be this fucking retarded? Do you really think people didn't have knives?

are you fucking retarded?

>French Toast existed for much longer?

fun fact:
we don't eat "French toast" in France...

No one said you did

marmiton.org/recettes/recette_pain-perdu_10975.aspx

I'm sure that there was a baker or two (or two hundred) that sold pre-sliced bread. But grocery stores are fairly new and brand name sliced bread proly started with them. Actually, brand named just about anything prolly started with them.

Serfs and nobleman carried their forks knives and spoons up until it was outlawed in the late 16th 17th century by an English king.
Turns out when people pull out knives it can be interpreted as a challenge.

Just because you went to a renn faire once doesn't mean you know history you tard.

>it took until 1928 to invent a machine that cut bread

Actually it was mentioned in a documentary about the court of Henry the VIII. They ate with their hands.