Make deliciously thick, cheesey sauce with 3 cheeses

>make deliciously thick, cheesey sauce with 3 cheeses
>mix with pasta, pour in baking dish, layer with mozzarella for data stringy gooey texture
>gorgeous texture and flavour
>top with cheddar and breadcrumbs and put in oven
>remove from oven, eat
>dry as fuck and tastes of nothing

I was looking forward to it all day yesterday and now I've been miserable as fuck all day. My girlfriend said she would eat it and I don't feel like eating anything now. Probably gonna go hungry today.

Cheer me up bros

Other urls found in this thread:

bbqdan.com/recipes/macaroni_cheese.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ggJea4CIltE
youtube.com/watch?v=jIp9T25-iz8
youtube.com/watch?v=Bhvj2ps-jMk
youtube.com/watch?v=LCtv3jn2J0g
seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sounds like you put it in the oven too long.

make it thinner next time. this is the single most common error people make with baked bechamel based stuff.

This is the single best baked macaroni and cheese recipe I've ever used: bbqdan.com/recipes/macaroni_cheese.html

I have made it over three dozen times and it is perfect each time. Whenever we have potlucks down at the campground it is guaranteed to be gone. The dish is nearly licked clean every time. Try it, OP.

Do you want to be cheered up or do you want advice?
Here's a grumpy owl.
I'm sure he's having a worse day than you are. He just came home to find his owlwife in nest with a cuckoo. He's been literally cucked.
Enjoy your schadenfreude. Hope you feel better.

Hamburger helper you say?
youtube.com/watch?v=ggJea4CIltE
+
youtube.com/watch?v=jIp9T25-iz8

Shit, they removed them. New links!
youtube.com/watch?v=Bhvj2ps-jMk
youtube.com/watch?v=LCtv3jn2J0g

This was painful. Why math?

>implying mac 'n cheese ever survives a potluck

its the most familiar side so everyone grabs some in case the more adventurous options fall flat. Doesn't really matter what the quality is, it gets eaten.

Add pasta water to your cheese sauce

you forgot the SALT nigguh.

add SALT to taste, stupid

The best experience I ever had with Mac'n'Cheese was when I made a bunch for a comic meetup, but didn't have time to cook it and just piled it into a lunchbox. It was fucking divine. Looks like you've stumbled on the reverse corrolary.

>He's been literally cucked.
fun fact
the cuckoo lays it's eggs in other birds nests meaning that it had to be a female bird

you probably didn't add enough cheese
the flavor in mac n cheese doesn't come from the sauce it comes from the cheese
it tasted dry and yucky because you layered mozzarella in there when you should have added more cheeses, ie the kinds you used to make the sauce
the sauce almost basically just holds it together

either that or you didn't actually taste your cheese saue

I would just skip the oven step, it's not worth it.

At the very most, I would put it under the broiler for 2 minutes to brown cheese and crisp up the crumbs a little.

Don't put it in the oven, macaroni and cheese is way better off the stove. I've tried making so many different baked macaroni and cheese recipes and they never turn out as rich and creamy.

If you still want a crunchy topping, just toast breadcrumbs in butter on pan for a few minutes.

Do I need to use sharp cheddar to get a good consistent taste?

Last time i used mild cheddar, and it really came out kinda not cheesy even though I added way more fucking cheese than the recip called for. (Was using Chef John's Mac n Cheese Recipe)

I don't really like sharp cheddar, so I never buy it

Use sharp cheddar if you like the sharp taste. If you don't like the sharp taste then use a milder cheese.

And keep in mind that the quality of the cheese you pick makes a huge difference here. Just because the label says "mild cheddar" doesn't mean squat. It could be bottom-shelf flavorless store brand bullshit, or it could be a very tasty cheese. Quality matters here; buy good cheese, not the cheapest shit on the shelf.

it's best to use a few different types of cheeses. sharp cheddar has a nice flavor, fontina is great for melting, parmesan is great for topping/mixing

You forgot dry mustard, paprika, and salt. SALT. The recipie requires salt.

Don't use Mozza. Use good Cheddar, and Gruyere

Yeah, I keep meaning to start grating my own cheese. I'll probably start when I run out of the shit I currently have. Cheers, user.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind as well. Thanks!

You need to add stewed tomatoes to it

I've never had a successful macaroni and cheese using a bechamel.

Only good recipe I've seen was the stovetop recipe from seriouseats.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html

Only bad thing is that the pasta to sauce ratio leans a little too heavy towards the sauce.

What the fuck is this?

Right. He's been dyke-cucked.
Poor owl.

>oven
>bread crumbs
found your problems
macaroni and cheese is supposed to be a simple dish, and one that's not fucking crunchy
also this
making good mac 'n cheese? enjoy your high blood pressure!

>mac and cheese is not supposed to be crunchy

according to who? moses?

>crunchy mac n cheese is bad
checkmate atheists

oh just let me boil these noodles to make them soft and then turn around and make them hard