If you don't like tofu, try making mapo tofu sometime

If you don't like tofu, try making mapo tofu sometime.
I guarantee you will change your mind. Way too good for it's own right.

you are gay

I like the General Tsos tofu from the take out place.

Also a tip from Yotsuba herself, use chili oil to fry the pork first. Most brands use sesame oil as a base anyway, which is what you cook the pork with in most recipes.
Gives it a nice kick!

rude dude

I'm vegan for faggoty reasons (also a faggot for faggoty reasons) but OP is right. Tofu is best viewed as an independent ingredient rather than a substitute for meat. Mapo Tofu and plenty of other dishes are fucking awesome. Tofu's a vegetable, so treat it like such and not "oh yeah this is definitely as good as beef, I can't even tell the difference."

Not vegan, but I actually prefer general tsos/sesame tofu over chicken when I get take out.

Good dish if made right. Remember to use silken tofu.

mg mg

every vegetarian/ vegan I meet around here thinks mapo tofu is for them. I live watching them tuck in and then going on a long winded explanation of my mom's recipe

YES, I've actually made this tofu with what I could get after liking it so much in a restaurant. Grinding some dried chili peppers and frying them in sesame oil with diced garlic, ground pork, a scallion and the tofu. I was missing some oils and spices I believe, the one I ate had like something harder to chew like a nut of some sort, but I'd say recreated the taste pretty well. I'm crap at making tofu, so the tofu dices also broke down but it still was a tasty meal.

And this was the only time I've made tofu it wasn't a total disaster. I can't deep fry it, I can't drain it, I can't stir fry it. I always ruin it. Dang.

>Tofu is best viewed as an independent ingredient rather than a substitute for meat.

Agreed. Tofu and seitan are tasty as fuck as independent ingredients for dishes they work well in. The only time "meat substitutes" end up being gross is when people literally try to substitute them for meat in recipes that require meat.

I think silken tofu is too soft. Last couple times I made mapo tofu, the silken just broke apart. I'm going to use soft tofu next time.

recipe?

Use silken tofu the same way you would cream cheese, quark or yoghurt in a dish. Put it in a blender and use it in a dessert for creamyness.

soy gives you bitch tits

Doubanjiang
Garlic
Ginger
Grounded pork
Sake/White Wine
Soy sauce
Chicken stock or water

Stir fry pork in semame oil, add garlic+ginger, when it's about done add Doubanjiang at low heat to taste. Before it burns add sake, evaporate alcohol and add chicken stock (~80ml per serving), soy sauce and sake.

Tofu
Chives/Green onion
Sichuan pepper
Hot sesame oil
Corn/Potato starch

Add the tofu ant turn the heat to high for 2 to 3 minutes, pour some of the broth over the tofu for the aroma but don't break it. Add chives or green onion. Add some dilluted starch. Add some hot sesame oil and sichuan pepper to taste and serve.

It's not a genuine traditional recipe but that's how I do it. I don't like ridiculously spicy meals.

Why would I use tofu when I can just use more meat

Tofu with minced meat is pretty fucking good

chinese take out chicken is garbage tier

tofu all the way

Finding good Sichuan Peppercorn isn't easy outside big cities or areas with a larger Chinese diaspora, and without Sichuan Peppercorn it's trash.

Put the tofu in last after you finished cooking everything. Then stir gently and you'll get nice tofu.

Yotsuba is the best wingman I bet dad fucked that qt cashier later

^this. I'd like to try this dish, but living in buttfuck nowhere redneckistan USA, I'd never find them. Quick search online, Dean & Deluca has them for $6.25 oz. :/

Chinese food is very much about balance. Balance of flavor, texture, color, etc. Spicy, crispy pork mince with soft, cooling tofu is pretty much yin-yang in food form, which is probably why it exists in the first place

no you dumbass skip straight to firm at the very least

>oh, tofu, it must be vegan

ahahahaha

YOU NIGGERS NEED TO TRY FRIED TOFU STUFFED WITH MEAT ALONG WITH TOMATO

>ahhh
>hahm

remember those autistic kids would recreate these noises during lunch time because life is an anime?

(i was one of them)