How do you make chicken tendies with the breading like this...

How do you make chicken tendies with the breading like this? I just googled a random restaurant's chicken strips but I want the breading to look like that. Most recipes I find online look like some grade school cooking project.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxEhH6MPH28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of the recipes I'm finding look like this. Look at that bland ass shit, looks like shit you find in the frozen aisle.

Seasoned flour is the closest, but most breading that looks like that picture is a product of an industrial process. It's got cellulose and shit in it. If you want tendies that look and taste like frozen tendies, than buy frozen tendies.

soak in buttermilk
flour
egg
breadcrumb
egg
breadcrumb

The first pic is breading.

What you want to do is get some AP batter mix and water it down so it's a bit runnier than pancake batter. Pour it over your chicken and then put the chicken directly into seasoned flour and then the fryer. It's the leaveners in the batter that give it that texture.

*the first pic isn't breading

This, but you can also get the same effect by soaking in buttermilk -> messy flour dredge where you put too much on and squeeze a tiny bit -> buttermilk -> flour -> fry. It basically does the same thing.

You dip them in buttermilk or egg wash and then straight into the flour. The less you shake off, the better. Be sure to add some baking powder because otherwise they can be unpleasantly crunchy. Crunchy foods should have some air in them, and shatter when you bite down. The air is produced by the leavening (in this case, the baking powder) that is added to the flour. Otherwise, it's hard as rocks.

have you tried chef john's recipe?

youtube.com/watch?v=uxEhH6MPH28

the ones you get in the frozen section at the grocery store taste alright if you deep fry them. I know that's probably cheating but it still beats microwaving them.

looks way better than the op to me. and your OP is not breaded it's dredged. but if you don't want that fine breading texture you could use panko or homemade breadcrumbs.

yeah I think it's just opinion, I can make the second pic pretty easily, I kinda just wanted to know how the first pic is made

Mine comes out like that.
I use brine-injected breast meat. It's sold in the frozen section of your supermarket. Seriously. It's importent that you do this step or you'll wind up with dry tenders. Alternately, you can brine fresh breasts yourself. You'll see why it's important below.

Shake in seasoned flour.
Let sit until the salt in the seasoning leeches moisture from the meat and hydrates the flour.
Shake in seasoned flour again.
Let sit until the salt in the seasoning leeches moisture from the meat and hydrates the flour again.
Shake in seasoned flour again.
Fry in very hot oil.
Drain.
Consume.

And that's the secret. Really nothing more to it than that.

For seasoning, I add a bit of powdered salt, onion powder, garlic powder, celery seed powder, powdered marjoram, powdered sage, powdered thyme, fresh-cracked pepper and Accént (because fuck you, that's why). And a dash of powdered sugar. Just a small amount.

oh damn, I'll try that next time I go to the supermarket, thanks!

People don't really know how this is done I worked at Popeyes for about 5 months this is how it's done. Flour buttermilk add a small amount of buttermilk to flour so it clumps mix with fork until lumpy. Flour fry

Welcome. For draining, by the way, put them on a draining rig for a short bit to drip excess oil, then transfer to brown paper. The paper wicks even more oil from the breading, keeping them crispier longer, but don't let them sit on the paper too long.
I use $1.19 packs of 100 paper lunch sacks for my brown paper and highly recommend you do the same, just don't buy the waxed sacks as they won't wick a drop of oil at all.

Also nice is to replace some of the flour with cornstarch.
Enjoy.

best advice is to put some of your marinade (2 tablespoons~) into the flour/spice mix. it will result in uneven surface and fry up like pic related.

If you eant popeyes or kfc batter flour coat then a wet batter with either sparkling water or filtered with baking soda. But if you want that shit use corn flakes but same way dry and wet mix then dip in crushed up corn flakes

okay really interested, how does buttermilk help in making the breading like in OP's picture? not OP

You can make it using a different binding agent to get the breading to stick to the chicken. Egg wash or normal milk works too. But buttermilk is used for two main reasons:

1) Tradition. Back when people lived on a little farm and killed a chicken it was typical to soak it in buttermilk because that removes some of the gamey taste that might be present with an old barnyard chicken. That's not really relevant these days with factory-farmed chickens being slaughtered so young that they're nearly flavorless.

2) Buttermilk is a acidic, and the acid helps produce a better texture.

can you use milk with a bit of lemon juice as a substitute for buttermilk?

I haven't tried that personally, but I have seen it listed as a substitute in various places. I don't know if it would work well or if it's a shitty sub.

yeah, that or vinegar

works just fine

It works well enough that you don't have to completely give up on a recipe if you don't have buttermilk, but its still a shitty sub in the end should only ever be used when living in a country that doesn't sell buttermilk

I do a three step dredge: Cornstarch, buttermilk, then flour with a few drips of buttermilk mixed in. Adding wet to the final dry forms little clumps that stick to the chicken and make for that extra craggy crust.

Protip - Put hot sauce in your buttermilk.

will that change the flavour enough? how much do I add?

it, like egg, doesn't steam as much as say water, which causes the heavier breading to flake off.