Is Gordon Ramsay's "Then when you need it...

Is Gordon Ramsay's "Then when you need it, you just take the paste out and make a curry! It's that simpuuull" claim a meme? I'm finally cooking for myself and it sounds like I should just eat curry most nights.

Other urls found in this thread:

syvum.com/recipes/inc/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Japanese curry isn't real curry. It is to actual curry what cup noodle is to a bowl of ramen.

I mostly mean Indian curry, since that's what I normally see being cooked by personalities. I just wanted to post animu

Why would you talk about a food, and then post some retarded bastardization of it drawn in a sickeningly bad art style? I mean, I'm trying to eat here, and I have to see this awful shit on my screen; you might as well just post gore at this point.

Also, your question makes no sense. Is curry paste a meme? Are you literally retarded? Why are weebs so fucking stupid 100% of the time? Of course curry paste isn't a fucking meme; it's an ingredient.

syvum.com/recipes/inc/

Have you tried any of these?

If you're planning to subsist on jap style curry I urge you to at least take the extra step of serving broccoli on the side. Get some damn green veg in there with all that white starch. If you can deal with the fuss I tend to agree that most stews that tend to get made with mince because it's faster get better if you replace it with short rib or another braising cut. Also I think that business of resting a stew overnight before you eat it is pure baloney, I sure as hell can't tell the difference.

it's never gonna stop confusing me how spewing bile on the internet entertains people. Is this fun for you or have you actually gone literally insane with weebhate? cause if you ain't having fun, stop killing yourself with psychotic bitterness.

Yep. Regularly. There are also veg and seafood recipes. I like the stuff from Goa & Karala myself.

Someone can't handle the bantz; you must be extremely new here.
Stews always taste better reheated, though.

You've got to navigate around a bit, but what I like about these is they're all regional and authentic. Have fun m8!

*Kerala

Will do lots to experiment with.

But also, my initial question didn't really get answered. Is Indian curry really something people can whip up real quick like I've heard?

When I do Indian style curries it usually involves cooking down a heap of onion until it's tinier and browner than the lady who cleans up my office. That takes an hour or so because I'm still not sure about this business of putting baking soda in your onions to make them cook faster. After that I add in garlic and tomato paste and then the ground spices to let them bloom. I suppose at that point you could take the whole mess off the heat and stash it in the fridge, then continue the recipe whenever you felt like it. I imagine the prepackaged curry pastes you see in the grocery store are of a similar nature since the instructions are usually just to add it to some liquid and then throw in your meat or whatever you're using.

I can't even tell at this point

I'm not familiar w your GR quote, but I'd say yes, you can pre-prepare your own spice mix (I always mix up my own), use a commercial one (Sharwoods is a good choice), and do like and freeze it in portion sizes containers, in the am take it out, put it in the fridge to thaw, & when you get home from work, start your rice, dump it in the pan with a little broth & sliced up chicken. I'd rather take the time on a Sunday to whip up something like I listed above and freeze it (what I normally do), but to each his own. It's a good quick meal. Thai curry (red & green) paste is convenient as well if you're pressed for time in the evening. Coconut milk + green curry + chicken broth + linguine + roughly chopped roma tomatoes + spinach & shrooms is outstanding. Hell, you could do it with ramen noodles.

>stir-frying for 1 hour
What the fuck

Much much cooler and slower than stir fry. More like a saute.

Lol dat booty blistered doe

Put another way, yes, if you're starting from scratch your lookin at minimum 1 he including prep. If you've pre-prepared, and are using say, frozen shrimp as a protein? As long as it takes you to make rice.

Sautéing is literally the same thing as stir fry: cooking with a small amount of oil on high heat.

Well then its whatever you call cooking with a small amount of oil on medium heat.

1 hour of medium heat and the garlic and ginger will turn into a black lump of charcoal

I add the garlic and ginger after the onions are fully cooked down.

Which do you prefer, Thai or Indian curry?

The last time I attempted to make a curry, it came out waaaay too watery. Where did I go wrong?

Too much water.

>>What did I do wrong

I have no idea because you didn't describe your procedure at all, let alone in detail sufficient to troubleshoot.

A few thoughts:
-you used too many ingredients compared to the curry paste (or blocks, if you're talking Jap style) This is especially true for ingredients that contain a lot of water, like most vegetables.
-you didn't cook it long enough
-you used water instead of a thicker liquid like stock or coconut milk
-you added too much liquid
-you didn't cook down the veggies enough before adding the meat

Does anyone else like to char their meat on the grill separately and then add it to the sauce?

>Guise I'm talking black on the internet

Chill senpai.

I couldn't give a shit about what Gordon Ramsay says about anything.
However, I came to post that making jap curry from scratch will leave your house smelling of it for days. I think it has to do with cooking S&B curry powder into the roux at the end. Fucking pungent as shit. My house smelled like that curry sauce for three days after. S&B is for some reason way more pungent than the homemade curry powder I make OR the stuff I buy from the Indian market. IDK what's up with that. Nice flavor though, even though it's not very spicy. A lady in Japantown told me to add a little garam masala to my Japanese curry to make it spicier and even out the flavor. She was right.

>I like the stuff from Goa & Karala myself.

You and me both, bro. That's the good stuff.

This is all I've tried besides a dollar star curry powder mix that did not work at all. I usually make it with potatoes, and carrots in a crock pot.

Can somebody post some good curry recipes?

I've been just using green curry paste because I'm a nigger and I always hear about what OP is talking about, but have never tried it myself and it seems like a lot of money to buy just to make curry not from paste

Making Thai curry paste is a bit of a pain unless you live near a large asian community that has its own grocers. I'd say to stick with a quality packaged product and give it some shallots and a few extra dashes of fish sauce and lime juice+zest if you want to liven it up.

This whole thread has made me really excited to start cooking curry. I've only ever had Thai yellow and green curry.

^this. If your in the states you can find "Thai Kitchen" brand curry paste at virtually any supermarket

*you're
Pet peeve -_- stoopid autocorrect. Been ratfucking me daily with that shit.

Don't get me wrong, handmade stuff is great, but shrimp paste is hard to come by and you can't exactly make it at home

You can nigger rig it w those bags of dried shrimp (~$1) found at Mexican markets here in the states, but unless OP gets a fire under his butt... (unlikely), you're right. Buy the prepackaged shit, on the net or at the market.

You can buy shrimp paste at any Asian market. I guess if you live in an area without many Asians, it'd be hard to get, but I can buy it readily where I live.

Fish sauce also comes close in terms of providing that fermented seafood savoriness, and that's becoming more common even in major chain grocers.

why doesn't this seem to have a name? all cooking instructions say saute, which is a hot pan for a short time. caramelized onions are low heat for a long time, but it's in a pan so it's not "simmer" and there's no liquid so it's not "braise".

I believe "stir fry" refers to a wok over a huge flame or industrial gas hob. what you're doing to caramelize onions could be called stir-frying though because that is literally what you're doing.

Sweat?

Make Thai curry. Store bought works but you can also grind your own paste.

When you want a delicious meal, take any amount of veggies and meat, cook with curry paste, add coconut milk. Dinner in 15 minutes and it's excellent

I think sweating also involves covering the pan. I leave the lid off and keep the heat high enough for a respectable sizzle and move them around every 10 minutes or so until they're more of a rich gold color than the dark brown of caramelized onions

Any alternatives to coconut milk? Something about it in curry was never that appealing to me.

I got shrimp paste from amazon.com. It isn't super cheap, but it lasts forever. The biggest issue is the smell, so be sure to put it in a smell-proof jar

I believe not. Until you've tried it, don't knock it. I suppose someth I ng like soy milk MIGHT work, but needing a medium-thick substance with some lipids and sugars in it, I couldn't think of anything better. The trick is in making sure to use enough fish sauce (added shortly before serving) and to reduce the coconut milk in the curry after heating the paste without any coconut milk in it

I didn't want to sound autsy but he's right. Even with another pseudo-milk type liquid that delivers the same body and basic flavors, I just don't know about Thai curry without the aroma that coconut milk adds to it.

Stew usually thickens up over night. It depends on what starch you use I guess. That's why I like resting it over night.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I can't think of a word for that apart from maybe browning. Huh.

Indfag here, here how you make your "curry"

Onions(cubes if you want more gravy)
chilli powder
tumeric
mustard seeds
fennel seeds

Add tomato/carrots/peas/etc whatever you want to what youre making. The above 5 are the main in any dish, so just put those together and dump your chicken/ground beef into it and eat it.

>I have to see this awful shit on my screen

I'm genuinely confused, do people actually come to Veeky Forums expecting anything other than awful shit?

Also famicom this is a cooking board on a website for the discussion of anime and manga, so obviously the only on topic replies are anime or manga related. Please use a trip from now on so the rest of us can filter you.

I find that it's helpful to expect awful shit everywhere you look, that way you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Take your poo to the loo patel, nobody wants your literal diarrhea cuisine. Japanese curry is superior.

Not , just want to say how stupid people sound when they say something ridiculous and then pretend not to be serious when they get called out with this "bantzzz xD" bullshit.

Huh. Not OP but I do a lot of batch cooking to freeze and eat over the course of a week, and somehow this never occurred to me. I'm going to give it a shot.

almond milk

Yours is the only comment in this thread that makes sense, yet you have been blasted for it.

Most of the posters here are from one continent in particular that has no idea bout cooking or curry, they prefer fast-food thread and favourite candy.

Let then think that curry paste is a meme and pity them for their lousy food.

C'mon, the Pakis and Vietnamese perfected Curry.