I made curry for the first time using mild Golden Curry sauce mix but I don't think I made it right...

I made curry for the first time using mild Golden Curry sauce mix but I don't think I made it right. I used stewmeats since I had it in my freezer and added some potatoes and carrots in addition to the onions that the box says to use.
The thing is that the color is nowhere near the same as it appears on the box, it looks more like yellowish-brown (haha get it) and the curry itself is very thick, almost like those little pudding cups you can buy at the store. The taste itself is very hearty, although that might be because I used more meat and veggies than recommended, and the viscosity lends to a nice texture when eating it.
I still don't know if I cooked it correctly though, anybody else have experience with curry making or am I just worried over nothing.

Why do americans always buy boxed food mixes?

Boxed pancake mixture instead of just mixing flour and eggs, boxed cake mixture instead of mixing flour and baking powder, boxed curry mixture instead of mixing a few spices.

Golden Curry is japanese curry, and I wouldn't call it "curry making" at all. It's gravy making, from a mix. It's like jambalaya from a box, it's just a name given to some boxed premade comfort food with a touch of curry in it.

Color aside, what you made with a lovely beef stew with thick gravy and a touch of curry flavor. Now, don't buy that shit again unless you have some anime/manga/weeaboo desire or a reason to replicate something from your infact japanese childhood. It's garbage. What is it? It's a cube of roux. That's right, it's the flour bound to fat already, such as with wondra flour, which makes gravy making skip a step on your own. Then they add bouillon granules, japa-fied a bit with soy of course, and some version of garam masala based on what flavor you bought. Vermont is sweet (guess they are channeling some maple goodness, which incidentally has nothing to do with curry, but malay curries can have a type of brown sugar, unrefined coconut palm sugar).

What would I buy if I wanted a quick cheat curry? I'd buy the thai pastes, red, yellow or green....and combine with a can of coconut milk. Top with lovely cilantro or basil. That's my idea of curry night in a jiffy. If I wanted fast indian curry, I'd buy sharwoods simmer sauce.

If I wanted to make it all from scratch, then I would cook up my fresh ginger, fresh garlic, fresh chilies in oil, add my dried spices to warm (garam masala, blended per my mood and ingredients), add my meat on the bone, skin - on, marinate in yogurt overnight. Bake or simmer. Spice up my rice. Try some flatbreads on the side. Nice salad because that's how I roll, some raita or cucumbers, or tomatoes. Get the pickles out to enjoy as relishes. That kind of thing. Google yogurt chicken or rogan josh, and do it from scratch. Since you like potatoes in it, look up masaman curry. Make extra! Freeze portions for the next mood.

We're fat and lazy to start from scratch, that's why nobody ever makes homemade pasta over storebought shit. Also it's cheaper, fucking hamburger helper is like $1.50 each box.

I guess I'm a rarity then. I'm American, and I NEVER buy boxed food mixes. I make my own pancake mix, my own cake batters, my own sauces, and I've never eaten boxed mac and cheese or hamburger helper in my entire life. That kind of crap is gross. But, then, I also had a mom who knew how to cook, and taught me how to cook from a young age. I never even SAW a package of boxed mac and cheese until I was in uni and my roommate made some. I was completely repulsed.

Sorry, I should clarify.
I never even saw boxed mac and cheese being MADE until I was in uni. Of course I saw it in the store before then, but always considered it trash food.

Save it for your blog, darling.

Golden curry is not good curry user, it doesn't taste like curry and has a wierd taste that doesn't feel right

>What would I buy if I wanted a quick cheat curry? I'd buy the thai pastes, red, yellow or green....and combine with a can of coconut milk. Top with lovely cilantro or basil. That's my idea of curry night in a jiffy. If I wanted fast indian curry, I'd buy sharwoods simmer sauce.

This. But I'd use bay leaf with or in place of basil.

Rarity?

I just love calling out girls who post here. You can always tell it's a girl because they're so self-absorbed they write paragraphs about themselves as if anyone cares.

don't listen to them OP. golden curry is the only curry worth eating.

Oh, I do the same but I use sweetheart, I believe sweetheart is more passive aggressive and it drives them insanse

Did you use enough water OP? Did you maybe let it sit too long? I'm not a curry connoisseur, and I usually pick up a box of the medium or hot Golden Curry on the rare occasions I go to the Asian market. I like it. If that's your picture, I think that's about how mine usually looks.

Homemade pasta is a pain in the ass though so I understand this. But making your own curry isn't all that difficult.

>Using water instead of stock

You're already fucking up at that point

You can make jap curry from scratch, mate, and a big concept in jap curry is that you can enhance it with whatever ingredients you want, so long as you don't stray from what makes it jap curry. You don't have to be a weab or japanese to enjoy it, it's just a curry of a different kind. I love indian curries, but jap curries are simple and more cost effective so I make them more.

OP, just google around for a jap curry from scratch recipe. The kind I make has apples and honey as an add-in, but there are charts for all the things you can customize.

Howdy, this is how I make curry using this product and keeping in mind wanting all the veggies not mushy.

1st make curry pot roux - this is just boiling water with the chunks in there - make it a bit less thick assuming boil off
2nd define vegables - potatoes carrots and celery? onions, mushrooms and peppers? If the former i make another small pot of boiling water and boil said veggies for about 5-8 mins at most this will pre-cook t he veggies. If you want the latter as well I saute the onions and peppers together. Once they are done you can just drain and whole stock the veggies into the roux
3rd and while the roux is being heated and the veggies are boiling make the meat - it can be anything - in the last few weeks ive made chicken curry out of thighs i deboned, pork curry out\ of shoulder cuts, beef curry out of "soup meat" that i deboned, One of the tricks is you should first cube and season your meat with white pepper curry powder and salt.. then master craft style would be to take these seasoned cubes and toss them in cornstarch. Pan fry them and sear the outside (I actually use a george foreman and skip the corn starch part - single and lazy) - once done throw these in the roux. if you time it correctly everything gets into the curry pot at once.

Now let sit on low to low+ and simmer for about 15-20. 30-40 mins total prep to time to eat.

also golden curry is expensive, but its very familiar tasting - i cut it with this green thai curry

I make rice concurrently and everything is usually ready at the same time.

If you like spicy I like to use habaneros or use some hot sauce. You also dont need to eat it with rice - you can eat it over those veggie patties etc.

The curry blocks already contain plenty of vegetable powders and pastes, and more than enough salt. Why waste extra money on stock?

>japs make boxed curry
looks lovely
>brit makes boxed curry
just like nana makes
>american makes boxed curry
WHY DO AMERICANS DO X INSTEAD OF Y AND HERSHEYS TASTES LIKE VOMIT LOL WE HAVE KINDER EGGS YOU JELLY MONTY PYTHON IS FUNNIER THAN SNL AND THE DOCTOR IS COOLER THAN CAPTAIN PICARD I HATE AMERICA SO MUCH MY WIFE'S SON IS PLANNING TO STUDY THERE AND IT UPSETS ME SOOO MUCH

not that poster,, but i have used the tomato chicken bullion, but its not really needed, better to make sure your meat is seasoned nicely so each bite tastes scrumptious.

But sometimes you just want that Golden Curry taste user

You don't use stock with the blocks, they're already salted and flavored to work on their own, and would be over-salted and overpowered otherwise, you use stock if you're making home-made roux.

Once again the population of Veeky Forums that have only ever had boxed curry rice come to tell people not to make curry rice. Yes, Japanese curry isn't really 'curry' and is pretty much just stew with curry flavoring - so what? Once you acknowledge that foundation there's a lot of variability to the dish within that range.

Hate to break it to you, sweetheart, but that post wasn't written by a girl.

Fucking this. Just because it bears little resemblance to actual Indian food doesn't mean that it isn't good on its own merits.

>why do american

Fuck i cant stop

It's Japanese curry. The traditional way to make it is with the blocks that come in a box. I've never known a single Japanese person that didn't make it this way.

Poo in loo genocide when?

THAT"S NOT REAL CURRY IT'S ONLY REAL IF YOU GO TO THE BACK ALLEY MARKET IN JAPANTOWN AND BUY IMPORTED INGREDIENTS THAT WERE SMUGGLED IN BY SHADY CHINAMEN AND SPEND 4 HOURS PREPARING IT.

Hey man, your curry looks fine.

I had Golden Curry (extra hot, because it is not hot at all) for dinner tonight.

Ignore these people. Using Golden Curry is fine. It's good.

You did it right.

What do you guys like adding to your Jap style curry? Coffee and Chocolate are pretty good.

Curry is different and you know it is. It's difficult to get all the spices you need together for authentic curry.

No it isn't. You literally need a good curry powder and a good garam masala, and I can get both at HEB for under 5 dollars.

>herp derp theres only one kind of curry

This thread is about Japanese curry.

You need to use a little more water.

While I love HEB in general, no you can't get good curry powder or good garam masala there. You can get passable. Good? Hell no.

I've tried several brands at multiple Asian specialty places, and the flat plastic spice packets at HEB are better than all of them. Suit yourself, though. Regardless, all you need is curry powder and garam masala. And if I can get access to multiple kinds in multiple places in a small town, no one else has any excuse.

Jap curry has an interesting heritage

Indian to British to Japanese to Weeaboo

Yeah and I was raised on a diet of jarred sauces, boxed dinners, hamburger helper galore. My entire teenage diet was basically snack cakes, and my parents didn't respond to this with a modicum of guilt, in fact it just meant they had to buy more snack cakes on their grocery trips. And now I don't eat any of that shit and make 98% of what I eat from scratch. No one has any excuse to eat poorly, and you should take pride in your efforts and tastes, yes, but by no means are you unique.

A little bit of everything, boss