I've never had rabbit before but my new house is lousy with them

I've never had rabbit before but my new house is lousy with them.

Leave the garage open for more than 20 minutes and 3+ of them are hanging out in there and scare the shit out of you. Almost nightly I have to let one or more out of my garage because its banging around at night

It's a rural area and they are fat as fuck and I want to try one. Also I don't even need to hunt them sense they will just come in the house if i open the door, so it'll be easy as fuck.
Whats a good bunny recipe?

They are Cottontail's

Other urls found in this thread:

honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
youtube.com/watch?v=JtlaTqw7MIU
youtube.com/watch?v=umRF1D3OsUc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

also what do they taste like compared to traditional meats?

DO you really want a bunch of crazed rabbits coming after you because you killed one of their brothers. Think this through.

Pretty sure I've heard that wild older rabbit can be pretty bad for ya. The younger they are, the less chance they have of carrying some disease or some shit. I wouldn't try killing and eating rabbit on your own unless you know what you're doing.

honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

What's the worst that could happen? An upset stomach? People hunt rabbits all across the US all the time

I'll keep in mind the older ones carry diseases sometimes though

They can carry trichinella. You should freeze the meat before consumption.

Rabbits are the bananas of the wild game world. They're ridiculously easy to strip and dress. You really peel their pelt off with your hands.

deep freeze the meat to kill parasites, and obviously cook them through just in case its rabid

Look who's been watching game of thrones. You can say the same about squirrels and ducks, m8.

Road by this little big sucker during a night ride a day ago. A damn shame.

Their necks also break very easily.

They're kind of like a lean chicken almost. I like poaching mine in a white wine and mustard sauce for an hour until it's tender enough to fall off the bones.

>I like poaching mine
kek

I believe this is covered under the castle law sense the rabbits are trespassing

Paella

I've never watched it, nor do I even own a TV right now.

Nice try Hodor

Well my usual procedure is to kill, cut off the head and feet, then skin. Gut, save any organ meat you want (liver mainly) and check EVERYTHING for worms or other parasites. Make sure you don't puncture it's shit sack, or you just fucked up the meat.

Wash it down with a hose, take it in the house, then debone the whole damn thing. Take the bones and ribcage, then start making your simple bunny stock by simmering water with maybe a halved onion, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. Fry up the meat in batches using bacon fat.

From there, cut the meat into bite-sized pieces, fry onion and garlic, and braise the meat until it's fork tender. Throw in your root vegetables about a half hour before the meat's done, make sure you've seasoned everything the way you like it (season from the beginning), then serve it over some rice.

sounds good.

Thanks!

i see what you did there, even though it seems like nobody else did

Why not just more food for op

Well you need to ask yourself at this point, do you want to eat A rabbit, or do you want to eat Many rabbits. If you want best quality and more yums, you should capture a few, feed them on goodness to get them plump and tasty, then eat one now and then. They will breed and thus you will have swarms of docile little meat slaves living in your back yard. You will need a pen for them, or just build a fence around your yard to trap them inside.

Rabbits are good diggers, just saying

Aw crap, right right. Good call. You may need some under ground fencing aswell, or maybe if you just feed them enough they wont want to leave. Feel free to chip in on tasty rabbit death camp plans.

rabbit is supposedly very bland and stringy btw.

one of the reasons why humans never tried to fully domesticate an animal that reproduces quickly and just eats your lawn for free

actually I would imagine it's because they're so lean you can literally starve to death eating them

Wild cottontail is light years tougher and will have a marked gamey flavor when comparing it to domestic meat rabbit.
That said I love it. I only use it in soups and braises though to get it tender. Hassenpfeffer is fucking awsome.

isnt that how that guy in alaska died , you know the dude who wanted to live off the land?

The season is typically in the winter because they can have ticks, fleas, and other bugs. Other than that, they are really lean. They have to be cooked low and slow like stew or something. I've definitely made boot leather out of them on a grill. They dry out quick

Fucking rabbit starvation. Throw some fatty stuff in with the food and you are good to go. Or jusy have rabbit in between other, fattier meals.

It's a well documented and understood fact that eating little to no fat in your diet is fatal.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Worked at a joint that did a lot of rustic Italian-style food and we made a braised rabbit dish with pasta. Flour the bunny, sear quick, and braise in chicken stock with mirepoix, sage, rosemary, and garlic. 200F for forty five minutes to an hour.

I'd also reduce the braising liquid, strain, maybe add a little cream to it, and serve it over the rabbit.

>scare the shit out of you
>scared by things that have heart attacks if you throw a rock at them
I mean I know you're posting on Veeky Forums but boy are you pathetic

And cook it thoroughly.

1) No one leaves a garage door open unless they want mosquitos, snakes, rats, wasps, palmetto bugs, possum, and shit in their house. Maybe if this is something you do for air current because you don't run your A/C, you should invest in a screen for it. Like $200 for a double car garage screen from Home Depot. Get the sliding kind if possible, more structure. Fixd.

2) I think rabbits where I live in Florida are "native" and therefore protected. It's annoying because it's difficult to walk my dog without some shoulder dislocation when they are spotted by my spaniels. They have a "dare you!" kind of unfearing look at my dogs or me. Of course, they breed like rabbits. If they bother you so much....get snakes :(

I wouldn't eat stray rabbits in urbanized areas, they are pretty good disease vectors.

If you're still willing to do so I have a non messy technique (besides some rigor mortis piss here and there), grab the rabbit upside down and put its head on the floor, put a broom stick/handle right above his neck and hold it with your feet, now violently pull the rabbit's legs until you hear a distinct crack sound.

When gutting, be careful about the liver area and the intestines, of course, don't use knifes inside unless you're know what you're doing.

rabbit confit

I've eaten rabbit and it's not bad.

There are domestic rabbits. They are descended from European rabbits, not cottontails.

I just want someone to capture wildlife and then farm them to show us many different dishes made of said wildlife.

>current year
>watching TV shows on a TV

I wish food would just appear in my house.
I wish I had a house

youtube.com/watch?v=JtlaTqw7MIU

I've made this (but without the raw bunny kidneys).

>An upset stomach? People hunt rabbits all across the US all the time
Maybe they are trained hunters. I heard some bad stories about people in my dad's neighbourhood (he's a farmer) where some people ended up in hospital after hunting and eating rabbits. I don't know the specifics, just be careful when doing that stuff on your own.

>a few walk into garage
>close garage

Not sure how to kill them yet though without inflicting any pain on them or being bit.

Maybe just run my car in the garage for an hour?

>carbon monoxide poisoning your meat animals
It would probably keep the meat looking visually appealing for longer as well

Most grocery stores selling factory farm trashmeat use carbon monoxide to make it look "fresh"

The danger of illness has been thoroughly covered (never eat summer bunny), as have cooking methods, so I'll add this: shoot the murderous little fuckers and throw them innawoods, go to your butcher and buy some bunbuns profit!

Just get a bow and or pellet gun and end them. Alternately, crush heads with hammer, but that will be messy.

Unless you are in the middle of nowhere trying to survive for the night, I wouldn't eat a rabbit. It's not worth it, the meat is pretty disgusting.

In before MGTOW neckbeards pretending to enjoy rabbit from a cast iron skillet while drinking mead

You stupid, boy?

make Welsh rabbit

sooo good

If you can grab them, their neck breaks very easily, just give them a punch behind the head

>boy
is pretending to be a sheriff from a slave state barking orders at escaped slaves part of the cast iron and mead cosplay now?

I don't want to get bit. I'll try to bow route when i get home

You could've just said "yes"

>rabbit

You may be thinking of rabbit starvation.
Essentially, if you eat nothing but rabbit, you will nutritionally starve to death.

It's just a harmless bunny.

>catch rabbit
>dispatch rabbit
>skin rabbit
>dip in melted chocolate
>wallah!
>Lapin au Chocolat

pussy

Watch out for worms, bruh.
Other than that, they are quite tasty

This one is pretty good, will show you how to butcher and cook 'em

youtube.com/watch?v=umRF1D3OsUc

>my new house is lousy with them

So fucking jealous.

All I have at mongoose carrying rabies.

I love rabbit. This they are so easy to dress.

The liver, user. The best fucking liver per pound of anything.

A whole new meaning to 'eat the liver of your enemies' right there

what a fucking loser with an agenda, what is MGTOW oh wait I don't care. please fuck off, this is a cooking forum. people eat rabbit all the time, it can be delicious if you know what you're doing.

If you don't know something is nearby (because its a prey animal and virtually totally silent) and suddenly it goes apeshit in fear and bolts off (because it is a prey animal) at lightning speed crashing into shit it will make you jump.

Do you know how to clean a bunny user? Typically after I shoot one, I step on its head and yank up on the bottom paws to rip it's head off. Field dress from there. I don't eat them in the summer though. You're likely to get bugs. They just eat everything in the veggie garden if you don't take drastic measures.

tfw bunes are qt and fluffy but also sadly delicious

I feel bad for them more so than other animals that I eat

I was starting a bonfire once, and after a few minutes of getting it going I heard some horrific screaming.

Because rabbit's only defense is to run hard, or stay completely still, there was a rabbit hiding under the starting sticks.

Spot the angry MGTOW

I assume you're talking about Christopher McCandless who was written about in the book, Into the Wild. He died by eating a poisonous potato seed, which caused his body to starve itself, not by eating rabbit.

Caution m8. I wanted to do this to the fucking rabbits in my yard, but my dad warned me that if you catch/kill a rabbit its cry sounds like a baby's, so you might get the cops called on you. It's also illegal to kill rabbits in many neighborhoods (as well as squirrel and other wildlife) because they are considered legal residents.

Shut up edgelord. I've walked into my garage to find a chipmunk holed up in there. You're not expecting it and something suddenly moves and starts making a commotion it can be jarring. So in the two seconds between you going, "what the fuck is that?" and realizing it's a rabbit/munk/etc it'll get your heartrate up. I had to chase the stupid fuck out with a broom.

I didn't know what the fuck that acronym was until I googled it. What the fuck does that have to do with hunting and cooking rabbit?

:(

>feed them on goodness to get them plump and tasty

Is rabbit a delicacy/rare there? Where I live it's common, almost as common as eating beef.

They go great with stew and red sauses using wine over pasta especially. The meat is quite stringy if you don't cook it long enough but pretty much fat free (for wild rabbits at least) and with a unique, gamey and with a light pungency flavor

aww babbytard is scaredscared of little animals how adoooorable!

True story; when I was a little kid, every Easter I’d get a baby bunny that I’d raise until the next Easter, when I’d get another baby bunny and the grown rabbit would “go back to the farm” and a week later, we’d be eating BBQ rabbit…

When I got a bit older and figured this out, I refused to send back the rabbit (though we’d still eat rabbit) and we had him for several years and being raised with our dog, he acted like one and would guard the backyard and if someone came over, he’d go charging up to them and actually “bark” at them (though it was more like a loud grunt).

Parasites, half my family got them. My dad spent two weeks in bed heavily medicated, it took everyone 5 days to know what was wrong, they detected it in my younger cousin.
Apparently your muscles hurt so bad you can't move

I'm going to need some form of validation of these statements.

Cute!

>My rebbet storeh
>Not posting picture of rebbet
Liar!

This thread reminds me of the user who got a couple of pet rabbits from someone and decide to butcher and eat them. Pic related, it was a fun thread.

A-are the rebbets oke?

They're ded, user. Eaten and eventually turned into poop by another user.

:(

Actually I read a book about a woman that lived with 70 dollars a year and she said she pretty much are the rabbits she raised at her rural home and bought oil to fry them, I'm not sure if she bought potatoes or some shit too

I have eaten rabbit in many ways in plenty of fancy restaurant. It pretty much tastes exactly like chicken with a harder consistency unless it has been cooked in sauce long enough

Does all of this apply to hares too?
Because where I live rather than rabbits it's hares.

Fuck that thread.

Rabbit grunts are cute. When I had a rabbit and it was in a good mood it would run around my legs in circles and grunt.

Leave the poor things alone

I second this answer.

There’s probably a Polaroid of Truszka (short for pietruszka, Polish for parsley) around somewhere but this was back in the 1970s.

If you teased the rabbit and poked him with your foot, he’s playfully “attack” your leg and hold on to it until you shook him off.

>What's the worst that could happen?
>Parasites

True, which is why rabbit season (at least here in Michigan) starts after the first frost.

>but this was back in the 1970s.

>Road by this little big sucker during a night ride a day ago.

Everything about the way this sentence was written has triggered me.