What is Veeky Forums's opinion on American-style ghoulash? I find it very hardy and filing and also easy to make...

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on American-style ghoulash? I find it very hardy and filing and also easy to make, which is great.

I make it a bit differently than shown in this picture, however. Boiled macaroni, browned ground hamburger, onions, and a can of tomato soup.

Needs bell pepper and garlic, at the least.

I'm a plebeian with shit taste so I don't like peppers. Garlic may be good but wouldn't it clash with the onions?

Garlic and onions are similar flavors that work together, they don't clash at all.

Okay. I'll give it a try the next time I make some.

As someone that didn't grow up with American goulash and in an Asian household, I love that shit. It's so easy to make and it's great for bringing to lunch. I am never disappointed when I eat it. Heavy on the paprika, please.

Hunfag here. Never tasted it, but only knowing the fact that an abomination of a food like this exists is very disturbing, I have to admit.

how is it even goulash? it looks more like trailer park bolognese.

That's what it is. Goulash is just a name, like Hamburger, Liver Cheese, etc.

cmon goulash isnt with ground beef. and it has bell pepper in it + paprika powder. if u use ground beef and only canned tomato it is a fucking bolognese

>American-style ghoulash
why amerifat?

' '

The concept is spot on - noodles, tomatoes and beef is a winner. My problem with American goulash is that it's probably the least flavorful way to execute that concept. For very little more effort and a few more ingredients you could have a much better dish.

For some reason macaroni disgusts me unless it's with cheese or mayo.

Hamburger helper type shit, or chili on pretty much any kind of pasta, wants to make me vomit.

I'd do noodles and beef with crushed tomatoes and then throw in a sauteed mix of cherry tomato, zucchini chunks, garlic and onion with some oregano/basil if I was going to go all in with it

I get off on fried whole cherry tomatoes, they develop the most awesome taste

>American-style ghoulash(sp)

Hamburger helper is the American goulash.

I know those are bad for you but I love them, I don't care what anyone says about me

I feel the same way about soup with large pieces of vegetables, I think it stems from the time when I was a kid and I vomited chunks of carrot and potato out of my nose and it started bleeding I have like vegetable soup PTSD

>I know those are bad for you but I love them, I don't care what anyone says about me
They are so basic to make yourself though. You can brown hamburger and combine with macaroni and cheese. You can brown hamburger and combine with green onion and sour cream, and stir in noodles. You can brown hamburger, push aside, add flour to reserved drippings to roux them up, add milk and parm to alfredo sauce it, and serve over noodles. Why do powdered stroganoff when you can use more deliciously creamy real sour cream? Or fresh parm? Because it's $1, that's why. And maybe you got it on a BOGO. That doesn't mean a good palate would love them, though. They're really oversalted and not that good :(

>make real goulash
>put it over egg noodles

Hamburger helper was a mistake.

My mom never once made this one pot meal, nor mac n cheese for dinner. Her big elbow macaroni dish would be a cold chicken salad which had a bit of a merger with marinated pasta salad. It had a lot of black olives in it and was prepared for like BBQs or other family gatherings. At some point sugar busters and carbs being bad were why pasta was kind of phased down in my childhood home. We weren't big on rice either unless doing red beans and sausage, mondays, cajun style.

My elementary school made this in a thick lasagna style casserole, which they would serve in square portions after baking. It was chunky tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, hamburger, elbow macaroni, and was topped with a solid half inch of browned cheddar (probably government cheese). It was one of the student favorites, and my cafeteria workers were caribbean southern black women who cooked better than Cracker Barrel with amazing rolls or cornbread daily, and vegetables filled with ham. As an adult, I know that it had bay leaf and probably thyme too, and that it was not italian seasoned. I feel sorry for kids today who have rotating frozen rewarmed foods as their school menus. Even my HS had options of homemade foods actually cooked with care.

I also had a childhood friend who had a mom who made "jamaican goulash" which always puzzled me, but though I don't remember the flavor profile, I do remember it had 30 ingredients was a big endeavor to make in a giant stock pot, and so I was always invited over to spend the night when that was the menu item. It was like the thing Mom made if you got all A's on your report kind of treat. I think it was like vegetable beef soup version of goulash, tons of veggies, but I don't actually recall what made it Jamaican. I'm curious now. I'm going to call my friend tonight, LOL as google only turns up one handwritten recipe that resembles chop suey.

>American-style ghoulash

Dude, that's Chili Mac.

Making this soon if ground beef has appeared at the store.

>if ground beef has appeared at the store

hows winter in russia treating you?

I know that feel bro, fucking russia. Every time I want beef mince I have to get out my meat grinder and grind a big piece of meat, it takes like 10 minutes, annoying as fuck.

i just found what im makin tomorrow

Make real pörkölt, please

that's a nice lookin 'ca style 'losh

It's...it's a food.

Your pic looks exactly like what I make and it is a gift from God. I love that food so much that when I feel like my stomach is going to burst, I only eat one more bowl.

Nope! Chili mac is different, you non-American.