Veeky Forums, I want to share with you the food of my people

Veeky Forums, I want to share with you the food of my people

I am a northern norwegian. Because Norway is such a long, thin country with more mountains than people, the different parts of Norway have been largely isolated from each other throughout the ages, creating dialects so thick that a southern Norwegian has trouble understanding a northern one, etc.
My neck of the woods have this ancient meal called "mosbromlefse", and it's almost symbolic because it is so very, very local.

You begin with making a soft flatbread, which is a dying but respected artform. You then melt brunost (cheese made from whey (goat or cow), very sweet and strongly flavored) with milk and flour, making a very thick and strong "sauce" called mosbrom.
You spread the mosbrom over the flatbread, add syrup, butter and sour cream, and fold it like pic related.

Proper northern norwegians eat it without utensils. it makes a mess.
A PROUD mess.

Do you have any weird, local dishes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsbu-Q9KBmQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In my country we eat Norwegians

are we served with whey at least

That's called a quesadilla

what the fuck are you talking about

Yeah, aside from the syrup it sounds a lot like a quesadilla.

He's clearly American. Just ignore it.

Nordic flat breads are great. I wish the regional variety of the past was still there in Finland.

Got a recipe for the flatbread?

Calling it a Nordic flat bread doesn't make it not a quesadilla

This stuff is called rössypotty. It's a type of soup that Finns from other parts of the country wouldn't necessarily even recognise. It's basically potatoes, pork, a blood cake called 'rössy', onions and a minimum of seasonings. If you use good potatoes and rössy, and nice, fatty pork, it can be really damn good. Then again, not all people like it.

I don't have a recipe, but you can see it being made on one of the "Mind of Chef" episodes with Magnus Nilsson. Ingredients seem simple. Labor looks like a big pain in the butt.

nice bait, m8

Either that, or put some more thought into what you're saying. Other than a seemingly similar appearance, that has nothing to do with a quesadilla.

>Other than a seemingly similar appearance
You mean besides the ingredients and process for making the food too, right?
Because both of these foods are flatbreads folded over cheese that gets melted

Many places in Greece cook stifado (a really rich red-wine, shallot, cinnamon and bay-leaf stew) and many places in Greece cook octopus. But my region is the only one that combines the two, to create an amazingly rich stew, where the octopus turns out tender and fragrant as fuck.

Looks hideous (to most people), tastes and smells phenomenal.

Cheers, looks pretty good. The rolling pins seem to be an important part of getting the particular texture.

youtube.com/watch?v=wsbu-Q9KBmQ

>that has nothing to do with a quesadilla.

Clearly there are differences, but if we look at the basics it's very similar: a piece of flatbread folded over cheese which is then melted. And there's the common condiment--sour cream.

Yeah, the flatbreads aren't identical, and the nordic version has syrup whereas the mexican version would typically have red salsa or maybe some fajita meat in it. And different types of cheese are used. But fundamentally they're the same thing: cheese melted in flat bread.

True. The basic CONCEPT of it might be the same, but the two have entirely different origins and the ingredients themselves are different. The flavours would be very different, but the texture might be similar. As such, there are similarities, but that does not make it "a quesadilla". It may be LIKE a quesadilla or SIMILAR to it, but it is not the same thing.

I really wish I could use cursive...

Pls post more food from your country

I fucking love lefse.

>It may be LIKE a quesadilla or SIMILAR to it, but it is not the same thing.

I'm glad we agree. That's exactly my point.

That sounds fucking great.

It's very easy and cheap to cook (octopus is very cheap here). If you have a slow-cooker or a pressure cooker, definitely give it a go.

Just to clarify: you can cook it in a normal pot as well, but it's easier to get the best results in a slowcooker

In my part of Texas, we make liquor out of Chickasaw plums. It tastes a little like a very ripe apple smells.