I'm trying to improve some chilli con carne that's lacking in flavour...

I'm trying to improve some chilli con carne that's lacking in flavour. Would adding some fresh coriander to the sauce and letting it cook give it a bit of depth?

Cinnamon

Coffee, dark beer, chocolate and chipotle peppers are your friends.

I can guarantee you home cooks aren't using enough salt and pepper

Then there's the cumin, which should go without saying.

This. Fucking put some more salt in it. Chili con carne should be plenty flavorful even with just its basic ingredients.

>you home cooks

Everyone knows restaurants use more salt than is entirely necessary, "use more salt when cooking for others" is ancient.

Fucking uppity dishwashers get out.

In order of importance:

>salt
>black pepper
>cumin
>cayenne
>garlic
>paprika
>cinnamon

It wouldn't clash with the chili con carne to add cilantro to it because chili powder is part of the flavor profile, but it's simply not part of the recipe.

Why do you think it doesn't taste good?
Post recipe.

No coffee, use a lager (like Budweiser) easy on the chipotle, it's smokey, use ancho pepper as the primary powder in your mix, buy dried peppers from a mex store, toast and grind your own (I find this to be a pain in the ass, but worth it, I generally use pre made powder out of convenience), (unsweetened) cocoa powder is good, paprika, cayenne, a TOUCH of cinnamon for your powder. Make a paste with it with a little beer before you use it. Brown your meat, add onion, garlic, spice paste, deglaze with beer (12 oz can), return meat, add beef stock/broth.

And of course I forgot the damn cumin, cilantro is nice as a garnish, and coriander is an a fine addition to your spice mix as well, though use 2X the amount of cumin as corriander (if you garnish with cilantro, I'd omit the coriander, but to each his own.)

Chef John adds unsweetened cocoa to his chili sometimes. He's a good dude. Worth a try

What meat would you use? and could you type up a full recipe list? I would like to make this today

To be honest I've never found adding beer to chili worth the time it takes to cook it off. Maybe if you're slow cooking.

Here y go m8, I like cubed chuck like in this recipe, but you can use ground beef, I might use a stick blender 2/3rds thru cook time to get it more uniform if going that route, than add canned beans if you care for them (rinse them first), I like to use black beans, but everyone has their own preference.

*From Cooks Illustrated

I've tweeked it for my own, like to make my own powder, but that's the foundation recipe.

& if you don't have a stick blender, just break up the beef real good into small crumbles with a wooden spoon during the browning stage,

Thanks boss.

>Calling it by it's actual name
Holy shit I love you op, marry me.

Mein Neger

Why does more salt annoy dishwashers?