Methanol Gel

Is it safe to boil water or cook food?

I have a glass siphon coffee pot and I need a flame to heat the water up in it. I have read you can't you use them on electric stove tops.

I bought pic related for $1. Is it safe to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

officedepot.com/a/products/195044/Stansport-Camper-s-Cook-Ware-9/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-Mobile-_-Printers_Scanners_Faxes-_-195044-VQ6-47886841556-VQ16-m-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-195044-VQ20-83662407476-VQ21--VQ22-176194796-VQ27-9134811236&gclid=CKbAkeHihc4CFQ2HaQodYK8HjQ,
easycalculation.com/physics/thermodynamics/water-boiling-time-calculator.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We used it for warming up blanco trays, because we dont have an electric buffet troley.

You're sure it was methanol?

as long as you're in a well ventilated area, you wont have any issues except idk if it will boil your water.

I wouldn't roast marshmallows over it, but it's perfectly fine to heat up a pot of keep a hotel pan warm.

Nope.

I tried it just now.

>set on picnic table
>lit
>placed flat bricks on either side
>placed grill over bricks and flame
>aluminum foil over grill
>set coffee pot full of water over
>waited 30 minutes

It never got hot enough to cause the siphon action. The flame was about 3 inches from the underside of the glass. Also the fumes gave me a headache even outside.

Guess I'll try something else.

They're just meant to keep chaffing dishes warm, not boil a pot of water. Think of a fondue pot where the cheese is already melted and you just need a little heat to keep it melted.

My next option is one of these.

However, this line is troubling
>7650 BTU

Going by my calculations this will take over an hour to boil 48 ounces of water.

just get a primus camp stove, they're like $20 and boil a liter of water in 3 minutes at sea level

Mein Gott, are you using british thermal units?

Not sure if Europe, poor (not anything wrong with that), or camping, but get yourself a percolator, like this (not necessarily this one: officedepot.com/a/products/195044/Stansport-Camper-s-Cook-Ware-9/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-Mobile-_-Printers_Scanners_Faxes-_-195044-VQ6-47886841556-VQ16-m-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-195044-VQ20-83662407476-VQ21--VQ22-176194796-VQ27-9134811236&gclid=CKbAkeHihc4CFQ2HaQodYK8HjQ, you can use it over an open flame, in a fire pit, indirect on a flat rock, or over a hobo stove ( metal coffee can with a door cut in it). Like other anime said those things are for keeping trays warm and hobos drunk

Or if at home buy a cheap French press & a tea kettle

Friend, I can boil a pot of water in ~5 min w one of these

I'm using this equation

>The amount of heat required = Water Volume (lb) x Temperature rise (°F) x 1 Btu/lb°F

What is it?

I already have these I'm just screwing around with a Vac pot for fun.

it's a small camp stove, that one looks like the little cheapy chinese one people recommend on /out/ a lot. you can get it on amazon for like $10 iirc. they work great and use these little $5 fuel canisters. they screw on and then you turn on the burner and light it. it's probably your best bet for what you want to do.

google and common sense suggests your equation is wrong
easycalculation.com/physics/thermodynamics/water-boiling-time-calculator.php

this site says ~5 minutes and 7k btu is the same as most large gas range burners or high end electric coil stoves

I have that same igniter. The cheap one off of amazon. I have yet to use it, how long does a fuel canister last you?

Not long, ~3 days. 1 canister will barely work well for a weekend camping innawoods cook for two, but that's traveling light. Coffee/dehydrated brekkie/dinner

If you go out w a gf or m8, have them pack an extra can, here in the States there are a lot of places where open fires are prohibited, & a lot of places where their cool, depending on the weather. Their cheap, and usefull to have in the pack.

*they're
English is hard