My friends and I, along with >>7889785

My friends and I, along with , have been discussing the technical definition for what makes something a sandwich for a while, and I'm curious to what Veeky Forums thinks of it, and how it can be improved:
>Must be vast majority safe to be eaten and intended for consumption, AND be intended to be eaten in a way that fulfills the rest of this definition of a sandwich
>Must be either between two slices of bread or, barring that, a comparable substitute, or on top of a single piece of bread or an even closer substitute

A comparable substitute meaning either two slices of something that's a facsimile to bread, or two separate pieces parts of the same piece of bread facsimile.

The "single piece of bread" portion is just to address "open faced sandwiches," it can be safely ignored for the purposes of this discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/video/index/379944/what-is-a-sandwich-no-seriously-though/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am the keeper of the sandwich. Feel free to post any food and I will tell you if it is a sandwich or not.

Frankly, it's mostly common sense. There's not many things that I would be on the fence about it being a sandwich.

What potentially controversial examples do you have?

Well, under this current definition pies could be considered sandwiches, as the pie crust could be one facsimile for bread and the top part could be another. Do I think pies are sandwiches? No, not necessarily, but under the given definition it counts, which is why I ask for Veeky Forums's opinion. Someone brought up in the other thread the fact that certain things don't count because the dough starts out unbaked (i.e. calzones, but those are discounted on other points as well) while bread is already baked for a sandwich.

A pie is not a sandwich.

However, if you manager to pick up two portions of the pie crust with some of the pie filling and hold it all in your hand and then eat it, you could say you're having a pie sandwich at that point.

Also, if you put the pie between two hookers, you could say you're eating pie from a hooker sandwich.

A pie is not a sandwich though.

You ain't shit burrito boy. Trying to steal the old OP's thunder and call yourself king. Your "sandwich" is a pie.

Uncut penis alternatively hot pockets

Seem I understand pie isn't a sandwich, or at least shouldn't be, but why isn't it? How can the given definition be altered in order to exclude pies while still being a reasonable definition for a sandwich?

Is sawdust a facsimile?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

A pie is not a sandwich.

A beef wellington is not a sandwich.

A pie is a pie.

How can a pie be a pie and a sandwich?

Sandwich, 2 pieces of bread with filling in the middle.

Pie, 2 pieces of lighter bread with filling in the middle.

Burrito (done right), two flat pieces of bread rolled around a filling.

All keep hands clean dipshit.

Meat pie and meat sandwich are the same thing. Bread, filling, bread. Pie isn't just for dessert mong.

Hot pie is hard to eat comfortably without the help of utensils. I believe that being able to eat it with one's bare hands is an important feature of the sandwich

A sandwich is bread or other thing around things that you can pick up and eat

A pie is a pie. You can pick up a pie, but that's not such a great pie. Plus, it was baked all together, while a sandwich is assembled.

Burrito is tortilla. I would almost say an ethnic sandwich, but not quite a sandwich.

A meat pie is a pie.

A meat sandwich is a sandwich with meat.

I guess it could be, if mashed into some sort of solid, flat lump. But it's not intended for consumption, so whatever you had between it wouldn't make a sandwich.

Hey now, no need for the insults, let's try to keep things civil! While you're correct in that a burrito is two pieces rolled around the filling, we discount that in our usual discussion, along with any wraps, because it's not just two sided - the top and bottom of any wrap are more "fluid," with any side able to become the top or bottom at will. With a sandwich it's two very clear "top" and "Bottom" sides, with no other side excluding connected bread, like on a sub.

Into a sliced in half piece of bread the size of your hand, pic related, you spread a thick coating of soft ice cream. Is it a sandwich?

It's the only time I actually argued about it with people IRL.

An interesting point, but I don't think that necessitates a change to the definition - a fresh panini is still a sandwich, but needs to cool before it can be eaten comfortably with one's hands, you know?

I'm OP not the keeper of sandwich, but yeah I'd say it's a sandwich.

Can you pick up a pie and eat it? Pizza pie? Missing top layer of pie. So a meat pie is a sandwich. Suck a dick.

Tortilla isn't bread since when dumbshit? Try harder kiddo. Flour, water, salt, yeast is bread and tortilla. Same thing different shape.

Is an unpeeled banana a sandwich, assuming you eat it without peeling it? What if you peel it and another banana of the same size, and swap their peels and put them back into them?

Not by definition. It is 2 different slices of "bread" between hands and filling. Burrito and sandwich is the same thing, different shape of "bread".

>cut coconut in half
>remove insides leaving shell
>cut a couple inches off of each half so that they no longer form a complete sphere
>replace coconut innards

coconuts confirmed for natural sandwiches?

Are my feelings a sandwich? Stuck between a rock and a hard place, it is edible and can function as a sandwich because every time I eat my feelings, I'm never hungry.

is sex an open-faced sandwich? things being alive within the dish doesnt disqualify it, as still-living octopus is a dish

I don't think so, if only because the peel isn't intended to be eaten.

I appreciate you pointing out the potential gap in logic in the current definition. To exclude wraps, such as burritos, perhaps we should change "between two slices of bread/substitute" with "Between two distinct top and bottom pieces of bread," along with including some sort of clause so subs where the roll has just been cut into and not separated isn't excluded?

>a comparable substitute, or on top of a single piece of bread or an even closer substitute

Nope, you can't just start changing shit

This is the most post-post-modern thread Ive ever seen. Very compelling.

Huh?

Yeah, I figured that that little bit would trip up the conversation a bit, it was mostly just a loophole closer from one of the discussions I had with my friends about this a few months back. Like I said it's probably just best to ignore the single piece of bread part for the sake of this thread.

If you meant the comparable substitute part though, that was included so things like ice cream sandwiches (cookies etc. and not "bread") or even the abomination that is the KFC Double Down can be technically sandwiches, as they fit with the general vibe of a sandwich in all ways but true bread.

I assure you my friend, it's all completely sincere too, I probably just have sandwich autism but this is legitimately one of my favorite conversation starters - open it up with "Say, do you consider wraps a sandwich?" and let the discourse unfold from there.

Is a kebab a sandwich?

i just like to see if i can logic anything into sandwich-ness

I'd say that the one displayed is one, the main thing being the definite top and bottom. Even though these sides are connected, they're still definitive sides so it's allowable. However, some kebabs appear to be more wrap-like with less defined "specifically top" and "specifically bottom" so those wouldn't fly imo. The kebabs that are just things assembled on skewers also wouldn't count for obvious reasons.

You don't write the dictionary bubba. A burrito is a sandwich is a pie is a wrap is a pasty is a roll is a everything involving bread.

But what if it's a hot dog?

Sex is a Sushi roll...which is a wrap, and a burrito, and a taco, and a quesadilla, and a torta, and a sandwich, and a pie, and pussy.

It is a torta, pleb.

Well of course, feel free to disagree with my definitions and create your own! I'm definitely not an authority on sandwiches or anything. I'm just trying to formulate some sort of definition that's as specific as possible, that as many people I discuss with as possible can agree on as well

I believe the conclusion we came to was hotdogs are not sandwiches, because they're generally oriented with the sides as a "left and right" or "front and back," not a top and bottom. I still hold true that a case could be made for a hotdog being a sandwich though, as that justification is a bit thin in my opinion.

Ah yes, I suppose my ignorance is revealed to some extent - I wasn't actually sure what exactly made a kebab vs a torta vs other closely related dishes

So it is a flatbread, cake, or omelette. Omelette has entered the sandwich war, bitch.

Why isn't an omelette a sandwich? Multiple eggs divided with fillings between the top and bottom.

And casserole has carbs surrounding protien and fats. Is that a sandwich too?

??

theatlantic.com/video/index/379944/what-is-a-sandwich-no-seriously-though/

No

Never click links from here.

Well for the omelet, I'd argue the reason it isn't a sandwich is because everything is mixed all together, it's not like you have a cooked egg, but whatever in between it, and plop another egg on top. Instead, any given point has some egg and some non-egg together. Same goes for

You didn't miss much in particular.

Also what's so special about Veeky Forums and links?

What is "food" really?

It is the site and links. Never click a link from here newfriend. Common knowledge.

But a hotdog is not necessarily cut open, it can just have a hole made into it vertically

Don't tell me how to make an omelette or how to mix my sandwich fixins.

This thread is braindead.

1. two pieces of bread or a halved roll
2. mayonnaise
3. lettuce (like iceberg lettuce)
4. slices of cheese (like Swiss cheese)
5. THINLY sliced onion
6. slices of tomato

OK, the tomato-onion-cheese thing is CRUCIAL. From this point you add some meat and you're good to go. Or add some cucumber slices and bell pepper rings and call it a veggie sandwich.

You sound like the newfriend. I've been on the 4chains since like 2007 and always used links. It's incredibly rare, and also obvious, if someone is trying to ruse you.

You think theatlantic.com is a malicious site? kek

So a grilled cheese or panini isn't a sandwich now? Get your shit straight kiddo.

This definition is complete trash. 0/10, would not sandwich with

I'm baked right now and this thread made me trip out hard

How many transient sandwiches can you spot in this picture?

No, I just don't use my ip to visit this site, newfriend. And I don't go to mainstream media sites from this place either. You should lurk more 2014 kiddo.

Forgot pic

Huh?

You're either an idiot or someone browsing from one of the four routers they have over in north korea. Either way I'm amused.

Is air food?

Nah, the bread in either of those is still separate from the rest, even if some may be melted over or something
If you're suggesting what I think you are you've actually blown my mind, but I still ding think it'd be a sandwich because,L while there is a distinct top and bottom, they're connected on all sides but the hole side, so it isn't quite separate like a sub
Glad we could boost your high friend, good sandwich vibes to you!

I'm just not a dumbass waiting for a party van.

Ohh, I see. You're a pedophile. My condolences.

And a torta is? And a hot dog is? And a slice of 'za is? And a burrito is?

At least be consistent.

Must be from pleddit trying to fit everything in safe boxes. Click those links, they are all safe as fuck.

Not in the least, just don't want to be accidentally lumped in with those sickos, you have fun with them though "sandwich king".

Every Slice Of Bread Is An Open Faced Sandwich With The World On It

This website has a massive amount of people on it. It gets a million visitors per about two months. It's mainstream in every negative way. Yeah, nah, that isn't likely to happen.

>Upboated, gibe me gold plz

>here is your You

With this I'm going to bed, folks. I do hope this spurs on conversation and survives to tomorrow, I'm interested in seeing how my definition of sandwich as given changes, and what different foodstuffs and metaphysical concepts you guys can apply as a sandwich!
One last one before I go because I'm a hopeless addict to sandwichtalk, I can't say on a torta because as stated I've little experience with them, but a pizza isn't a sandwich because it doesn't have a discernable top, nor is a burrito because it falls into the wrap issue of undefined top or bottom at any given time. I personally think hotdog could be one, while the 'official' designation amongst just my friends and I was that hotdogs don't count. (also I wasn't the dude complaining about links, sorry and goodnight!)

Sorry you are so new, I can't help you with that.

It isn't like people get arrested on social media posts.....right?

The Internet is your safe space, promise.

Ohh, so you actually are a pedophile. My condolences.

Difference between wrap, pizza, and burrito? All encompassing the filling with one or more types of bread.

>Here is your You

There are surely many slices of bread contacting the earth at any given time, is the world in a constant state of sandwich?

No, the two slices of bread would need to be polar opposite to eat other

>Muh pedo claim

Fucking get real, only mods are pedo's on this site. I'm not gonna put my IP in that bucket. I am a normal dude.

>projecting much? About to microwave your hdd?

Yeah, thought so kiddo. 18+ website.

user, if you're literally afraid of being arrested for your regular use of Veeky Forums, you must be doing something highly illegal. Sure, it might not be pedo shit, even though I can't think of any other examples right now, but there obviously is something you're afraid of getting out.

Either that or you're legit paranoid in the classical sense.

If I took two burritos and then added cheese between them is that a sandwich? Similarly is two pieces of bread with nothing in the middle a sandwich? The air sandwich if you will, in the same vein as the air jordan.

>If I took two burritos and then added cheese between them is that a sandwich?
Yes.

>Similarly is two pieces of bread with nothing in the middle a sandwich?
No.

>The air sandwich if you will, in the same vein as the air jordan.
Nope.