What food has the narrowest window between undercooked and overcooked?

What food has the narrowest window between undercooked and overcooked?

Probably beef wellington

flaky fish, i guess.

similarly, avocados but in regards to ripeness.

rice, eggs

I don't know. I'm not a perfectionist.

Meringue

Cookies, you have to take the cookies out of the oven before they are done as the continue to cook on the cooling rack

ginger bread

scallops

That applies to anything you bake.

custard

This

Scallops, shrimp, chicken.

All quite difficult to get just right. I actually believe most Americans have never had a perfectly grilled chicken breast its such a rare thing to find. Always overcooked at almost all restaurants, unless it is an injection molded patty that has been commercial temped and reheated on location. And I don't count that anyway.

Perfectly cooked chicken is all about interpretation. But the main reason why it's hard to do is how cognizant we are about undercooked chicken. Rather eat chicken on the dryer side than potentially getting salmonella.

Most commonly, eggs.

After that, I'd say fish and seafood.

> But the main reason why it's hard to do is how cognizant we are about undercooked chicken

absolutely fucking this. the window at which we all want to eat chicken is extremely fucking small because it's where the chicken is completely opaque but also dense, juicy and not stringy. if it feels at all gelatinous, NOPE

Is it liver

pastry with very fine layers.

As has been said by many anons - Scallops, Shrimp, Chicken. I also will add to this list calamari.

>cognizant we are about undercooked chicken

Well said, everyone overcooks because of nasty side effects. But perfectly cooked chicken is so much better than overcooked.

I would argue the opposite is true for other foods. too many "great chefs" undercook fish and red meat due to lack of side effects... Though usually only by a tiny bit. I hate gelatinous salmon though. Fuck that "how do you want your fish cooked" trend. I want it juicy and flaky straight through. Fucking duh. I asked for grilled salmon not sushi. I cringe everytime a waitress asks me how I would like my fish cooked.

>calamari

Also a great catch. Perfectly cooked calamari is a beautiful thing, overcooked it is like eating rubber bands and the difference is probably less than a minute of cooking/frying.

Pic related, skramps on fire.

cum

This is the correct answer.

Scallops, the only food I've managed to simultaneously under and overcook

Whole turkey.

Over the course of 4 hours, 10minutes too long or too short and its fucked

dover sole (fish)

trout

octopus

A lot of stuff is really particular. If you're making goat cheese you want it to get to 180F but never 185F, for example.

>>But perfectly cooked chicken is so much better than overcooked.

huh. really makes u think...

Scallops.

I agree. I think it's crazy that Salmon is compared to steak- for example- in terms of doneness. Salmon that flakes, perched on the juicy line between red and dry, is far tastier than this period blood shit.

It's Chicken in my opinion.

A moment too long and it becomes tough. But chicken that is still pink is a danger.

Scallops are challenging as well though.

idk, roast our steak? i'm not a super cook.

>But chicken that is still pink is a danger
Hardly. As long as you're not doing it Jack tier with blood gushing out as you cut into it, it's fine.
More than just a light hint of pink is disgusting though.

Scallops, they teach you the clock methods now days to cook them. Place one around the pan and have it cook for 1-3 minutes on each side.